Forum Member
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Being broadcast from 14/05 apparently.

Wonder if it's going to fix my missed recordings? :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aparantly its got some under the bonet changes to the way the EPG is collected and kept up to date throughout the day. Presumably this is to do with the Freeview Playback changes. I was told there will be more updates to the software over the next few months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote: »
    Aparantly its got some under the bonet changes to the way the EPG is collected and kept up to date throughout the day. Presumably this is to do with the Freeview Playback changes. I was told there will be more updates to the software over the next few months.

Hope that's correct. I lost 2 recordings over the weekend, 1 on BBC2 and 1 on CH4. Both "unresolved" timers sitting in the timer list after the programmes had aired. :(

Yet the series timer link I set for family guy on BBC2 a month ago picked up some new episodes. :)

Hope they get it resolved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    BigTim wrote: »
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Being broadcast from 14/05 apparently.

Wonder if it's going to fix my missed recordings? :mad:

Yep, I spotted the new dates as well. Only having had my machine for a few days, can someone tell me what I need to do to get the firmware update.
    Do I just leave the machine on, or standby, and what's this Mux 1 about ?

Also where do I check in the settings what version I have ?

Cheers in advance.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope that's correct. I lost 2 recordings over the weekend, 1 on BBC2 and 1 on CH4. Both "unresolved" timers sitting in the timer list after the programmes had aired. :(

Yet the series timer link I set for family guy on BBC2 a month ago picked up some new episodes. :)

Hope they get it resolved.

I might be wrong but I was thinking that perhaps they were either implementing the accurate recording feature of Freeview playback or laying the foundations for other software updates to incorporate it. If accurate recording works well in everyday application it will be a right boon for recording programmes in this country.
    Forum Member
    Yep, I spotted the new dates as well. Only having had my machine for a few days, can someone tell me what I need to do to get the firmware update.
    Do I just leave the machine on, or standby, and what's this Mux 1 about ?

Also where do I check in the settings what version I have ?

Cheers in advance.:)

From memory it's setup, digital setup.. something like that to find the software version.

You'll probably be on 1.01.03.

There was an update transmitted occassionally from Dec through to Feb to 1.01.08 which is what I have and adds the series information display when the blue button is pressed on the EPG for BBC and CH4 (only thing visible, may be other fixes, no info is given out by Sony about the firmware updates).

To receive the update, you should leave your machine on the correct channel for 30 mins (give it an hour to be sure) then power off with the button on the front and power back on.

The channels on freeview are grouped into multiplexes (the space an analogue channel would have taken), this update is being transmitted on mux 1, here are the channels and what mux they each belong to:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

Just leave your 860 on a channel in mux 1 as described.

The 860 actually wakes up automatically at 4am every morning to look for updates anyway, but do the above to be sure.
    I might be wrong but I was thinking that perhaps they were either implementing the accurate recording feature of Freeview playback or laying the foundations for other software updates to incorporate it. If accurate recording works well in everyday application it will be a right boon for recording programmes in this country.

It already has that feature for programmes on channels that transmit the playback metadata - BBC channels and now CH4, the trouble is it doesn't always work correctly.

The Family guy shows that recorded for me the other night started with a little bit of intro that said "and finally tonight, after that snooker final.." However, 2 other recordings just went to unresolved.

It's got to be to do with either the data that's being transmitted not being right all the time or the Sony picking it up. Prob a combination of the 2 as they work the bugs out of this new service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already has that feature for programmes on channels that transmit the playback metadata - BBC channels and now CH4, the trouble is it doesn't always work correctly.

The Family guy shows that recorded for me the other night started with a little bit of intro that said "and finally tonight, after that snooker final.." However, 2 other recordings just went to unresolved.

It's got to be to do with either the data that's being transmitted not being right all the time or the Sony picking it up. Prob a combination of the 2 as they work the bugs out of this new service.

I know the Sony machine can handle series link via freeview but I havent seen any mention of the machine being able to track the EITp/f data being broadcast to start and end recordings on time. Do you have an option when setting up recordings to use either the actual timer time, or to use the accurate recording tracked timer?

A good way of testing this for me is The Apprentice: Your Fired which is on tonight. It always seems to start a bit later than 22:00. Why not watch what is on at 22:00 on BBC2 and see if the recording starts at that time or when the programme actually starts. Also would be useful to see if the recording finished at 22:30 or carries on until the actual start of the next programme - give or take 10 seconds.

EDIT: i think another part of the problem with the EPG is that it is collected at 4am every day and Sony are putting some enhancements to be able to track changes that take place later in the day with the EPG better. Thats what I was told by a techie this monring. I guess it also has to be able to handle all of this in standby by some method, which again might be part of the change.
    Forum Member
    I know the Sony machine can handle series link via freeview but I havent seen any mention of the machine being able to track the EITp/f data being broadcast to start and end recordings on time. Do you have an option when setting up recordings to use either the actual timer time, or to use the accurate recording tracked timer?

A good way of testing this for me is The Apprentice: Your Fired which is on tonight. It always seems to start a bit later than 22:00. Why not watch what is on at 22:00 on BBC2 and see if the recording starts at that time or when the programme actually starts. Also would be useful to see if the recording finished at 22:30 or carries on until the actual start of the next programme - give or take 10 seconds.

EDIT: i think another part of the problem with the EPG is that it is collected at 4am every day and Sony are putting some enhancements to be able to track changes that take place later in the day with the EPG better. Thats what I was told by a techie this monring. I guess it also has to be able to handle all of this in standby by some method, which again might be part of the change.

Well, it defnitely does use that data because when you set timers (on channels that transmit it - CH4 and BBC) the recording only starts when the now next info updates. I porved this for myself, not jsut with the family guy recording (the show was at least half an hour late but recording started 10 seconds before the start of the show) but with peep show 2 weeks ago.

I set the timer just before it came on but the recording didn't start. Whilst the show was on I tried a few more attempts at recording - each time selecting the programme from the epg - each time it would start to record then stop and add an "unresolved" entry in the timer list.

Out of interest I pressed (i) to get the now/next info up and it showed that Derren Brown was still on?!? Althought he EPG had moved on correctly. When Peep Show ended, the now next changed to "peep show" and, lo and behold, the recording kicked off.

So, in that instance it looked like the info was being transmitted wrong by CH4.

You don't have any option to select how the machine decides the start time - you just select the programme in the epg, press enter and then select either "timer" or "series timer" on the screen. If the channel is one that does not yet transmit the new playback data (ITV, CH5, CH4 until 3 weeks ago) a timer is set that is just like a manual timer (manual timers are set by going to the timer list and creating an entry, bypassing the EPG).

Manual timers always record without fail but they may grab a bit of the programme before or after if the programme is delayed. The EPG timers on CH4 and BBC always record the programme correctly, if they record at all (except in my peep show example). Otherwise you get "unresolved" timer entries created - I suppose the machine has been waiting for the trigger data and either not receiving it or not recognising it.

I'm away from home working during the week so I can't try your test tonight, but, I think I proved the same before as described above.

The machine usually wakes and makes ready some minutes before a recording starts and then actually starts recording exactly when the now next data tells it too.

As for the EPG 4am update... I know the machine wakes and looks for data at this time, but whenever you switch it on and go straight to the EPG you usually find it blank and watch it update as downloads the data..

Not sure how this ties in or with the playback spec which this data is part of and which the Sony machines are supposed to be the first on the market to conform to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. So the Sony can do accurate recording like the Daewoo PVR then. There will be Sony owners now testing out which channels are on accurate recording this evening and how it works I am sure.

Interestingly these Sonys were released before the Spec for Freeview Playback came out. However, Sony were right in the middle of the group defining the technical aspects of how Freeview Playback will work on machines.

Another question which you may be able to answer or someone else in relation to how freeview playback works: What happens if you have consecutive timers set up and one of them overuns by say 15 minutes - or even just 4 minutes. Will the first recording capture the entire programme at the expense of the other programme you have set to record; or will the the second programme start on time sacrificing the end of the earlier one? Or will they both revert to the scheduled stop/start time between the two recordings?
    Forum Member
    Interesting. So the Sony can do accurate recording like the Daewoo PVR then. There will be Sony owners now testing out which channels are on accurate recording this evening and how it works I am sure.

Interestingly these Sonys were released before the Spec for Freeview Playback came out. However, Sony were right in the middle of the group defining the technical aspects of how Freeview Playback will work on machines.

Another question which you may be able to answer or someone else in relation to how freeview playback works: What happens if you have consecutive timers set up and one of them overuns by say 15 minutes - or even just 4 minutes. Will the first recording capture the entire programme at the expense of the other programme you have set to record; or will the the second programme start on time sacrificing the end of the earlier one? Or will they both revert to the scheduled stop/start time between the two recordings?

Good question! I know that if you put abutting or overlapping timers in the system warns you about it, the manual tells you waht happens in this situation but I've not got it to hand.

My guess would be that the second programme jumps in and starts recording in response to the start data sacrificing the end of your other programme but I'm not sure (and, of course, this could change with the new firmware download!)

The freeview playback site has no details of course, it's jsut a very thin description of playback mentioning the Sony recorders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed.

Out of interest, did anyone try recording BBC2 The Apprentice: You're Fired? It started at 22:02:40 to be exact, so any recordings started at 22:00 would have the end of the previous programme at first and two and a little bit at the end missed. If the Sony was following the accurate recording procedure on these machines, the end of the recording would be when the next programme starts showing on screen. Therefore in theory the accurate recording of last nights show would also include all the end credits and all the BBC advertising following right up to when the next programme is just about to start or within 10 seconds.

Dont know if anyone recorded last nights show and can check the way the machine handled it?
  • fitshacefitshace Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    What happens if you have consecutive timers set up and one of them overuns by say 15 minutes - or even just 4 minutes. Will the first recording capture the entire programme at the expense of the other programme you have set to record; or will the the second programme start on time sacrificing the end of the earlier one? Or will they both revert to the scheduled stop/start time between the two recordings?

According to the manual (page 56), "the programme set last has priority".

This implies that the end of Prog A will be lost and Prog B will start on time.

The same page also says "if the end time of one recording and the start time of another are the same - the end of Prog A will be cut off"
    I presume that this is to allow the machine to tidy up it's info write for prog A eaely so that Prog B can "Start" on time.

Just in case you're wondering, I've got a copy of the Manual at work. I printed one off from the Sony website about 2 months ago while I was researching what brand of recoreder I should buy.
    Forum Member
    fitshace wrote: »
    According to the manual (page 56), "the programme set last has priority".

This implies that the end of Prog A will be lost and Prog B will start on time.

The same page also says "if the end time of one recording and the start time of another are the same - the end of Prog A will be cut off"
    I presume that this is to allow the machine to tidy up it's info write for prog A eaely so that Prog B can "Start" on time.

Just in case you're wondering, I've got a copy of the Manual at work. I printed one off from the Sony website about 2 months ago while I was researching what brand of recoreder I should buy.

Agree with above, but what confuses me is that on page 58 of the manual when it's explaining Synchro Recording, it states that the first programme takes priority :confused: Now you could argue that this is a seperate function, but the words quoted on pg 58 state 'Regardless of whether or not the programme is a Synchro Rec programme, the programme that starts first has priority....' Kinda contradicts what's said on pg 56, confused or what ?

In response to how the EPG handles the start end of recordings, I think the machine stops recording when the following programme is about to start. I noticed this because I recorded a film on Film 4 using the EPG, and it recorded 3 hrs worth, even though the film was only just over 2 hrs long.
    As for the start of the recordings, I've noticed the first minute missing before, but I'm wondering whether this is because the machine takes over a minute from Standby, just to spring into action. For example if I record Eastenders, the beginning of the theme tune is missing ? If this is the case, then Sony should have been clever enough to build in a small buffer to stop this from happening.
    Forum Member
    Agree with above, but what confuses me is that on page 58 of the manual when it's explaining Synchro Recording, it states that the first programme takes priority :confused: Now you could argue that this is a seperate function, but the words quoted on pg 58 state 'Regardless of whether or not the programme is a Synchro Rec programme, the programme that starts first has priority....' Kinda contradicts what's said on pg 56, confused or what ?

In response to how the EPG handles the start end of recordings, I think the machine stops recording when the following programme is about to start. I noticed this because I recorded a film on Film 4 using the EPG, and it recorded 3 hrs worth, even though the film was only just over 2 hrs long.
    As for the start of the recordings, I've noticed the first minute missing before, but I'm wondering whether this is because the machine takes over a minute from Standby, just to spring into action. For example if I record Eastenders, the beginning of the theme tune is missing ? If this is the case, then Sony should have been clever enough to build in a small buffer to stop this from happening.

I think it's more to do with the start data sent from the broadcaster.

I've set up peep show again tonight and come up to type and go to bed just before it comes on - the 860 switched channel a good 4 mins before the start and put itself into rec-pause mode (interesting mode - wonder how to trigger it manually ;) ) ready to unpause when the "current event" changed.
    Forum Member
    Although probably written about before, I notice that the Series timer is not that intuitive. For example if I've used it to record say Hollyoaks (sad I know!) on E4 daily from 7pm-7:30pm, not only does it record that show, but also the earlier 5pm show, even though I've not requested it. If I remember correctly I think it recorded the E4+1 show as well. So I ended up with 3 episodes when all I wanted was the 7-7:30pm show.
    Maybe the next firmware will fix this ?
    Forum Member
    Anyone got the new firmware yet? I'm not home 'til Thurs night so I can't check it out.
    Forum Member
    Anyone got the new firmware yet? I'm not home 'til Thurs night so I can't check it out.

Yes, mine was showing "09" last night when I got home from work.
    Couldn't see anythinhg new, but as I've only had the box 6 weeks, everything is new.;)
    Forum Member
    Although probably written about before, I notice that the Series timer is not that intuitive. For example if I've used it to record say Hollyoaks (sad I know!) on E4 daily from 7pm-7:30pm, not only does it record that show, but also the earlier 5pm show, even though I've not requested it. If I remember correctly I think it recorded the E4+1 show as well. So I ended up with 3 episodes when all I wanted was the 7-7:30pm show.
    Maybe the next firmware will fix this ?

I think that must be a C4 problem. I have "neighbours" :o (honest it's for the wife) on series link and it only records the "lunchtime" version. I also have News 24's Click on Series and I only get one copy of that.
    Forum Member
    Weird, I had software version V1.01.09CE before Monday, maybe it's cos I have a brand new machine.

Anyway, can anyone confirm if Series timer only works with certain channels, as I caanot set a Series Timer for Prison Break on Ch5. The option for this is 'greyed out' :confused:
    Forum Member
    Weird, I had software version V1.01.09CE before Monday, maybe it's cos I have a brand new machine.

Anyway, can anyone confirm if Series timer only works with certain channels, as I caanot set a Series Timer for Prison Break on Ch5. The option for this is 'greyed out' :confused:

Only on BBC and CH4 (inc all CH4 channels) so far (was only BBC until about 5 weeks ago). The other channels will start transmitting the data in due course (no dates announced that I know of).
  • magic martinmagic martin Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I have got the V1.01.09CE update downloaded - the only trouble on the poor quality menu displays is that the "9" looks a bit like an "8"...... :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I have the new firmware and suddenly all my Series Timers have disappeared!
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought a GXD360 at the weekend, which arrived with Firmware 1.00.03. Are there any known problems I should be aware of with this version?

The series link on this version appears to work - when BLUE is pressed on the EPG it shows other programs in the same series, including duplicates or repeats of the same episode.

Thanks
  • PicklePickle Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    RDR-HXD860 - DV problems keeping date/chapters
    Hi, hope its OK putting this query here (new to the forum). I am sending DV from my Panasonic camcorder to the Sony, and it appears that firewire allows chapters of episodes-of-recordings to be kept but will not display the date, whereas other methods of connecting such as scart allows date to be displayed but loses the chaptering of the diffierent recording sessions... I had planned to keep date and chapetering for HDD and DVD-R. Are these limitations of the machine or am I missing anything, please? Sorry if its obvious or been addressed elsewhere.
    Thanks very much, Nicola (Pickle)
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you check what the firmware version is on a Sony RDRGXD360? Cheers. :D
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try: System Menu -> Setup -> DTV Settings -> Technical information -> Manufacturer information