anyone ever heard of this company?

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of the following company

WP-COY mail order. Yeovil.

long story short it showed up on our credit card bill in feb. we had never heard of the place before so the guy on the phone from our bank told us their name was "wp clothing" that ended up being a shop in australia.

we just got a copy of febs bill today and the name ended up being wp-coy so it rules the australian shop out.

i have tried google and nothing at all came up for the place in yeovil.

Long shot, but has anyone ever heard of WP-COY?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Credit card providers like Visa etc make companies provide a short "code" for their business that can appear on statements and in "reference" fields etc. It's something short - like 11 characters or something and often bears no resemblance to the name of the company simply because of the restriction in the number of characters allowed.

Bear that in mind - it easily COULD be that Australian company.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope it's not related to this 'wp clothing'
    http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2581884
    :eek::eek:
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Nope.

But surely if you didn't authorise the charge, you don't have to pay it, and your bank should refund it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Nope - sorry!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much yes. I think last time I had to do this, they asked (possibly insisted) I try the company 1st to see if they are willing to reverse the mistake. I would have thought if you're going to ask to reverse it they could provide more info on the company.
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can find the wp clothing company easy enough by google...

http://www.wpclothing.com.au/

can't find anywhere where it says what would appear on a credit card though.

Has your credit card company cancelled the card now and issued you a new number? They definately should have even if there is a slight risk your number is compromised (and you ringing them saying you didn't recognise something should have triggered that).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    basically we owed money on our card, came into a bit of money and used it to clear the card. the guy said it was cleared.

this was in jan. in feb we get a statement saying "new transactions" and it had amounts next to "wp-clothing" as the guy from the bank called them.

asked for febs statement to be sent to us so we could check it, and instead of wp-clothing" the company was called "wp-coy"

bank was supposed to be sending us out a form to fill in, as we did not spend the money and have no idea what "wp-coy" even is.

didnt get the form today only the statement so back onto the bank tonight i think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get onto your bank and tell them it's an unauthorised charge. They'll reverse it.

As a merchant myself, I'm well aware that the onus is then on the business concerned to prove you bought something, like with a signed proof of delivery or something.

The bank doesn't care. They'll just refund you, take the money from the merchant and charge them a fee for their trouble.

It's called a chargeback.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only large mail-order company that I know of in Yeovil is Screwfix, but I've no idea how they're identified on credit-card statements.

Such things can be confusing, though: for example, Sainsburys appears on my bank statement as Sacat.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't "WP" transactions through Worldpay, I can't find any recent statements of mine with Worldpay transactions but I think they have shown as "WP-....."
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Such things can be confusing, though: for example, Sainsburys appears on my bank statement as Sacat.
    Isn't "Sacat" just from the self-serve checkouts. "Tesco Sacat" and "Tesco UPT" appear on statements for self-serve checkouts and fuel pumps respectively (and "store" and "garage" if you pay at the tills).
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    Isn't "Sacat" just from the self-serve checkouts. "Tesco Sacat" and "Tesco UPT" appear on statements for self-serve checkouts and fuel pumps respectively (and "store" and "garage" if you pay at the tills).
    Probably. They're the ones I almost always use in Sainsburys.
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    Isn't "WP" transactions through Worldpay, I can't find any recent statements of mine with Worldpay transactions but I think they have shown as "WP-....."

You are right there. I ordered a battery from Battery Logic back in November and their payment was via Worldpay, and the statement shows as WP-BATTERYLOGIC.

So to the OP, ignore the WP bit and think about companies either called COY or initials C.O.Y. Note you always get an email from worldpay (shopper@rbsworldpay.com) with the transaction details as soon as you make a payment using it, so if it was you, you'll have an email around the same date as the transaction.