Depressurise glow worm boiler?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
Forum Member
I need help with my glow worm 30cx boiler. I went to increase the bar pressure because it was to low at 0.7 bar, turned the nob up to 1.5 but the pressure carried on going up to 2.5. Must have needed to let it settle a bit. Can anyone tell me how to reduce the pressure, as i cant fine anything in the instruction manual. Thanks in advance. Rob

Comments

• orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same boiler. I don't know if you can reduce the pressure - do you still have your manual? If not i will dig mine out and have a look.

Make sure you tightened the blue knob back up again.
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only thing I can think of is to open the bleed valve on a radiator whilst the boiler is running, and let some of the water out, thus reducing the pressure. I could be totally wrong though.

Look out for either 'the chimp' or 'seacam' on these boards as both are extremely knowledgeable at stuff like this.
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Only thing I can think of is to open the bleed valve on a radiator .

That'll do it ... I had to do it for a friend who did the same thing. Boiler does not need to be running, though, since the system is pressurised all the time.

EDIT: To be clear, you are not depressurising the boiler but the whole system. It's just that the boiler has the indicator to tell you what the pressure of the system is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Ive tried bleeding the system, pressure drops while im in the process but the it rises again once i seal it all off. Tried depressurising just the boiler as per instruction manual, isolating heating flow and return then turn the valve at the back. Same result pressure goes back up once closed. Simple job has turned in to head scratcher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've overpressurised a combi-boiler I think it re-pressurises itself. I once turned the knob on mine to up the pressure a bit, and forgot to close it again. For 2 days. :eek: I think the pressure thing was around the 3 mark. The whole system started making a groaning noise and water pouring out of the overflow pipe that leads outside.

When I finally had the wit to realise I had the knob turned the wrong way, I shut it, and the system pressure levelled out after a while (and a bit more water pouring out of the pipe).

I agree with bleeding the radiators though as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbarf7 wrote: »
    Ive tried bleeding the system, pressure drops while im in the process but the it rises again once i seal it all off. Tried depressurising just the boiler as per instruction manual, isolating heating flow and return then turn the valve at the back. Same result pressure goes back up once closed. Simple job has turned in to head scratcher.

Are you sure you have the knob closed and it's not still open? This is exactly what happened to me, I spent 2 days bleeding radiators till I realised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure you have the knob closed and it's not still open? This is exactly what happened to me, I spent 2 days bleeding radiators till I realised.

I agree - sounds as though the valve may have jammed in the open position.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello robbarf7,

What is the preasure reading at now?
    Forum Member
    Pressure has steadied out at 3.1 my partner says it has been there before bout 12 months ago, had an engineer out and all has been fine until now. Engineer didnt replace anything just reduced the pressure to normal.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pressure has steadied out at 3.1 my partner says it has been there before bout 12 months ago, had an engineer out and all has been fine until now. Engineer didnt replace anything just reduced the pressure to normal.

3.1 is to high, it does sound to me either you are turning the wrong valve off or it's faulty.

Your could also have a faulty gauge, no matter, best way to de-pressurize is to go to a rad , if flat, furthest away, if house, ground floor for both examples below.

Make sure CH is off, turn off mains water and use drain cock if fitted, shallow bowl under drain off or hose,, couple of mug fulls only, tighten cock, turn mains back on and bleed rads as required, watch pressure gauge after every rad bleed.

Or if no drain cock, turn both rad valves off 1 rad, making sure you note how many turns this takes per valve so you can return to those positions.

Undo the large nut, either valve would do but best not TRV side, drain some water in to shallow bowl, couple of mug fulls, no more for now, tighten rad nut, return valves to position, bleed all rads as required, keep an eye on gauge, 1.5 bar is about right.

Repeat process if still to high, one mug full at a time.
    Forum Member
    Would like to say thanks to you all. Problem solved. Pressurising tap was in the full open position. Must have got confused with it being up side down, clockwise to close :-). And depressurised like a charm at the rads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would like to say thanks to you all. Problem solved. Pressurising tap was in the full open position. Must have got confused with it being up side down, clockwise to close :-). And depressurised like a charm at the rads.

Glad you've sorted it out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to hear that you've got it sorted robbarf7 - nothing worse than a poorly heating system at this time of year.