Best PVR for storage capacity

Guys - Is there a particularly large capacity PVR you would recommend - coming from a decent 'stable', e.g. Humax and similar standard manufacturer?. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    The best on the market......Humax Fox T2 - 1TB
    For a lot less money.....Or you could go for the new freetime/youview version Humax Youview PVR 1TB
    A little more but still far cheaper......;)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want 'unlimited' storage then you could install a tuner in a PC and use that as a PVR
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The HDR FOX T2 will archive and replay content directly from a USB connected Hard Drive. So effectively unlimited storage is available by merely adding additional external hard drives. Same applies to the Foxsat-hdr Freesat box.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys - Is there a particularly large capacity PVR you would recommend - coming from a decent 'stable', e.g. Humax and similar standard manufacturer?. Thanks in advance.

Pop into your local Comet while you can. I picked up 1TB Panasonic Freeview HD recorder last week for only £175.00 down from £299.00

270 hrs of HD recording + wireless lan etc.

it is more than stable as it has not missed any recording yet, touch wood :D
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks, people. This is a good place, DS!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Panasonic DMR-HW220 1Tb - Usually around £300 but your local Curry's may have them for around £180 as part of it's closing down sale as Young Turks says. Very good looking, gets decent reviews. Supports DLNA to play content from a PC via your home network.

Humax HDR-FoxT2 1Tb - Available from quite a few places for around £260 online and at John Lewis. Very reliable and extremely well respected. Supports DNLA to play content from your home network. Media playback via USB.

Humax DTR-1000 1Tb YouView Recorder. The YouView version of the above recorder, available for around £280. Similar to Fox T2 but with an advanced YouView catchup service that allows you to scroll back through the EPG and watch programmes you have missed on the main channels (Broadband required). Doesn't support DNLA, no media playback via USB (both may be added with a future software update, but don't rely on it as it may not happen).

Digitalstream DHR-8206U 1Tb. Available for around £220 online. Very well respected and reliable. No DNLA out of the box, but supports user modifications the first of which allows Samba sharing so content can be copied to/from the box via a home network. Content can then be streamed to other devices on a home network, but not streamed directly to the box from other devices. Supports media playback via USB.

Any of those should fit your needs for a decent, reliable large capacity Freeview recored. Note all of those above are Freeview HD recorders too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for setting that out, captainkremmen. I appreciate your time.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax HDR-FoxT2 1Tb - Available from quite a few places for around £260 online and at John Lewis. Very reliable and extremely well respected.

No need to pay that much surely ?

Get a 'graded' unit direct from Humax - there as good as new ! - well mine was/is

No youview units yet though via this route though

LINK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    No need to pay that much surely ?

Get a 'graded' unit direct from Humax - there as good as new ! - well mine was/is

No youview units yet though via this route though

LINK

Yeah, all of the recorders mentioned (except perhaps the Panasonic) can be bought for quite a saving if you are prepared to buy a refurbished, repaired or second hand model. As well as the Humax website, other places to save money would be Ebay as well. But buy from a reputable online retailer, especially true if buying from Ebay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went for the Panasonic. Thanks again.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I went for the Panasonic. Thanks again.

Hope they've improved the EPG.....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will find out next week! Another thing I can't quite get my head around is the seemingly impossibility of recording to DVD straight from a recording (other than from HDD to DVD. Odd.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re Panasonic EPG :
    I read the other day that the ads have finally been removed from the 2012 TVs
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    If your not bothered about freeview hd (but you get 'upscaled' freeview sd), a ps3 with play tv, a 1tb harddrive (500 hours) and a bluray remote v.2.0 (£18 on import) - you have a all in one entertainment device - play tv is the best, quickest (due to the ps3 being a mini super computer) pvr out there that I've used - better than sky hd etc...

as well as games, bluray, upscaled DVD playback etc, you can also slip in a 1tb HDD (user replaceable - very easy to do so) - Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around £18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050SX9I2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0050SX9I2&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 )

You can record freeview whilst watching a bluray, DVD, Netflix or iplayer
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    If your not bothered about freeview hd (but you get 'upscaled' freeview sd), a ps3 with play tv, a 1tb harddrive (500 hours) and a bluray remote v.2.0 (£18 on import) - you have a all in one entertainment device - play tv is the best, quickest (due to the ps3 being a mini super computer) pvr out there that I've used - better than sky hd etc...

as well as games, bluray, upscaled DVD playback etc, you can also slip in a 1tb HDD (user replaceable - very easy to do so) - Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around £18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050SX9I2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0050SX9I2&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 )

Couldn't agree more that the PS3 is a great all in one media device (and brill for games of course), but not sure if I could recommend Play TV at this stage, at least not unless it was heavily discounted i.e. more like £30 than £80.

The lack of DVB-T2 means it will never get HD broadcasts, perhaps not such a biggie since Freeview only has 4 HD channels anyway, but should any multiplex move to DVB-T2 entirely then you would lose it altogether. Of course this is hypothetical and probably 5 years + if it happens but IMHO there should definitely be a DVB-T2 version of the Play TV by now, all HDTVs are Freeview HD, most of the boxes and PVRs on sale are too.

In fact, sadly, I think if Sony were going to do a DVB-T2 version they would have by now, I suspect the UK only audience for it just isn't enough for them to bother doing a newer version, shame as this would really distinguish PS3 from it's competitors.

Lastly, have never understood why it has two tuners yet can't record two programmes at the same time, I'd say this is essential for a PVR.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more that the PS3 is a great all in one media device (and brill for games of course), but not sure if I could recommend Play TV at this stage, at least not unless it was heavily discounted i.e. more like £30 than £80.

i think you can get it for around £30 from play or second hand

The lack of DVB-T2 means it will never get HD broadcasts, perhaps not such a biggie since Freeview only has 4 HD channels anyway, but should any multiplex move to DVB-T2 entirely then you would lose it altogether. Of course this is hypothetical and probably 5 years + if it happens but IMHO there should definitely be a DVB-T2 version of the Play TV by now, all HDTVs are Freeview HD, most of the boxes and PVRs on sale are too.

im sure there won't be a freeview HD for the ps3 - but I'd hazard a guess its a feature held back for the ps4, along with some super duper large 1tb hybrid drive or something

Don't forget, Netflix has excellent HD streams along wth iplayer (though iplayer is a bit stop / start in HD for me) it also has bluray and can play Mkv files (after saving as mp4 'pass thru'

In fact, sadly, I think if Sony were going to do a DVB-T2 version they would have by now, I suspect the UK only audience for it just isn't enough for them to bother doing a newer version, shame as this would really distinguish PS3 from it's competitors.

Yep don't think there's enough demand.

Lastly, have never understood why it has two tuners yet can't record two programmes at the same time, I'd say this is essential for a PVR.

I think it's a safety net so that the system can cope when playing games / blurays etc... With the amount of repeats and 'series link' in the £6 update, it's not a issue for me

In bold above
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »

Many thanks. I went for the Panasonic and get it next week (I hope!)