PS4 - First Impressions

NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
Forum Member
Now that it's finally out for us Europeans - what are your first impressions of the PS4???

How did your setup go?

What stands out as a major difference between last gen compared to this new gen?

My Gamer Pack should be delivered tomorrow (Friday) via DPD from Amazon but hopefully everyone has a smooth launch day!

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now that it's finally out for us Europeans - what are your first impressions of the PS4???

How did your setup go?

What stands out as a major difference between last gen compared to this new gen?

My Gamer Pack should be delivered tomorrow (Friday) via DPD from Amazon but hopefully everyone has a smooth launch day!

Do you know what Amazon fulfillment center yours has come from?

Obviously not Swansea.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know what Amazon fulfillment center yours has come from?

Obviously not Swansea.

Wont be Rugeley either lol we had none.
  • BadbarnetBadbarnet Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    No redeem code in box for Playstation + for 14 days free.
    I have never been a member so should have had it.

Signed up anyway for a year, for the free games.

Downloading free games from store has been a bit hit and miss , error message E- 82000002 is common,
    which I guess is because of congestion, but have resogun, warframe, contrast, and waiting for WarThunder to download, will try DC universe later.

The store is slow but that's understandable I guess.

Overall not too much hassle, just takes me a while to get use to the differences.

Good luck to you all.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    it says on the front of my box that there is a 14day trial.

Haven't found a code or anything yet though.

But, it would be nice to actually be able to sign into PSN first!!!
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS Plus free trial is accessed via PS Store.
  • BadbarnetBadbarnet Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    War Thunder downloaded BUT cannot play it says only users who hold a licence for this application can start it!

Pressed everything on the store for the free trial of plus but nothing happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member

How did your setup go?

i picked mine up last night and had a little tester go before christmas. firmware update took about 15 mins to download and install. i got need for speed and BF4 with mine. only played need for speed out of the 2 which i enjoyed.

i also downloaded resogun and contrast through my existing plus subscription, i can see me getting hooked on resogun to try and keep beating my own scores.

didnt get chance to try much else, but i was very impressed with what i did play with.

really looking forward to being able to get on BF4 on xmas and playing the whole day away and getting the gribs with all the functions.

the lack of a start button was strange to begin with, but when im on it all the time, ill get used to it
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    okay, so I haven't got one yet, but I've seen it in action and played on it and my first impression is that it's a powerful beast!

Things can only get better. Hopefully with some great games to go with that power!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First impressions, wow this is so sleek i better download the update, well that was quick

Edit: Does anyone know how this will affect stuff like trophies, if i don't sign in and play a bit of AC4, will the trophies unlock when i do sign in or would i need to start again
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Edit: Does anyone know how this will affect stuff like trophies, if i don't sign in and play a bit of AC4, will the trophies unlock when i do sign in or would i need to start again

They should be synced when you go online, just like ps3/vita.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Haven't done much with mine yet. Unboxed and set up, update downloaded, but not signed in to PSN yet and haven't played anything.

First impression - it doesn't look like a Betamax VCR. Win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    Haven't done much with mine yet. Unboxed and set up, update downloaded, but not signed in to PSN yet and haven't played anything.

First impression - it doesn't look like a Betamax VCR. Win.

Well I can compare I can see 2 of them from here.

Yes it looks nothing like my old SLF1 portable, even though it is the same make.

HOWEVER my HiFi Sanyp deck has a mix of gloss and matt finish.
    Forum Member
    I actually had a crash and if it happens again I will be onto Sony.

Just started in the water filtration plant, it tried to save checkpoint - bang, powered up disk checked

SAVE CORRUPTED

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Forum Member
    Well I can compare I can see 2 of them from here.

Yes it looks nothing like my old SLF1 portable, even though it is the same make.

HOWEVER my HiFi Sanyp deck has a mix of gloss and matt finish.

:D

I have mine sat next to the XB1 - The PS4 certainly looks like I'd expect a new-gen console to look - nice, compact, sleek.
    Forum Member
    Bester wrote: »
    :D

I have mine sat next to the XB1 - The PS4 certainly looks like I'd expect a new-gen console to look - nice, compact, sleek.

Mine is next to a Humax HDR and BT Vision PVR, PS2 on shelf underneath it, and PS3 in HiFi rack

The two VCRs are by the computer
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only things I don't like at the mo are -

The white strip on top seems to go really thin and dim towards the back - almost looks bent.

Doesn't tell you if friends are playing on PS3 or PS4

No battery indicator on screen, and no hard drive indicator on the front of the console.
    Forum Member
    Mine is next to a Humax HDR and BT Vision PVR, PS2 on shelf underneath it, and PS3 in HiFi rack

The two VCRs are by the computer

I de-cluttered the cabinet a week or so ago ahead of the new-gen consoles - now it's as bad as it was before I started!

Impressed though, managed to get the Wii-U, XB1 and PS4 all on the same shelf, side-by-side.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Only things I don't like at the mo are -

The white strip on top seems to go really thin and dim towards the back - almost looks bent.

Doesn't tell you if friends are playing on PS3 or PS4

No battery indicator on screen, and no hard drive indicator on the front of the console.

Yeah I noticed that about the stripe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is meant to go dim.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you leave your downloads running? Can you not do it like you do with the PS3 and set it to turn off when they finish?

I guess you have to set it to not go into standby if not used for 20 mins?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it carry on when in standby, it certainly does/should do for patches and I'm sure games do too.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Love it! Have it say next to my X1, with the camera sat on top of the Kinect & both Microsoft's hardware dwarf it! :eek:

It's very fast & easy to use the UI, especially compared to the X1's. Tried Twitch streaming and it worked well. Had 2 viewers lol :D The store loads fast, downloads are fast & seem to make most of high speed connections.

Only played BF4 but it blew me away! Never played it on PC so probably a bit meh to those elite beings but the graphics were superb, the best I've seen in a game.

It was easy to set up, no connection issues whatsoever.

One thing that's annoying, and it annoys me on X1 too is that you can't see when a friend comes online or goes offline. There's no notification.

Overall, very impressed :cool:
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omtt when I try to search twitch for you it throws me to justin tv is that our version of it.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Omtt when I try to search twitch for you it throws me to justin tv is that our version of it.

Don't know what you mean? I clicked stream to Twitch and it started in high quality. Don't have a Ustream account to stream to there so just done Twitch
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in your browser just now go to twitch . Tv / onemantagteam without all the spaces I had to add there and see where it takes you