CRT & My Laptop

I still have a CRT telly which is a TV/Video combi with SCART. I wondered is there any way I can watch TV online through my CRT tv? and what exactly would I need? I also have a CRT telly upstairs in my room with red white and yellow inputs on the side.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What connections are available on the laptop?

If it only has VGA or HDMI for video then you could be looking at converter boxes to convert the signal format into something the TVs can understand.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What connections are available on the laptop?

If it only has VGA or HDMI for video then you could be looking at converter boxes to convert the signal format into something the TVs can understand.

Looks like I have a VGA port. I do have some leads to put in for converting VHS tapes, I use a USB drive for that but I need that to transfer the online signal to the TV not the TV to the laptop.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The results will be horrible , best results from PC to TV are via hdmi on both products . Time to start saving up for a non crt TV LOL

Plus if the laptop only has VGA out then you can get it to work to a modern TV but for easy & best results you need a better laptop as well -- there you go I have just spent £1200 of your money for you LOL
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    There's no decent way to do it - as mentioned converters are pretty naff, and are mostly the wrong way round anyway.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    The results will be horrible , best results from PC to TV are via hdmi on both products . Time to start saving up for a non crt TV LOL

Plus if the laptop only has VGA out then you can get it to work to a modern TV but for easy & best results you need a better laptop as well -- there you go I have just spent £1200 of your money for you LOL

Not very helpful seeing as I don't that kind of money hence why I still have a CRT telly. :rolleyes:
    There's no decent way to do it - as mentioned converters are pretty naff, and are mostly the wrong way round anyway.

It seems there are converters for TV to computer but not the other way around, surely there is some way? just a thought.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something like this.

http://www.dabs.com/products/c2g-cablestogo-vga-to-composite-pc-tv-video-adapter-7CC5.html

If you google VGA to composite you'll see a load of similar devices. Some as cheap as 11 quid. But I suspect at that price they would be pretty sh1t.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, don't waste your money. The best consumer CRT TV for use with laptops I have used was a Loewe Aconda. That had a max resolution of 640x480. That might have been an acceptable step down when laptops were 800x600 native resolution. But dropping from 1280x800 or higher is just too much of a step down to be useable for general surfing IMO.

If you are playing movies from the laptop then have a look for a streaming box with direct video outputs. It will be a simpler, better and more cost effective solution.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Not very helpful seeing as I don't that kind of money hence why I still have a CRT telly. :rolleyes:

It seems there are converters for TV to computer but not the other way around, surely there is some way? just a thought.

Humour !
    That's why I put LOL at the end of each bit if my paragraphs ! but as others have pointed out don't waste your money - wait till you can get better kit .
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also Google vga to cvbs and find something like this

http://gb.dinodirect.com/tv-video-converter-box-adapter.html?vn=RGlub2RpcmVjdEZ1Y2s&AFFID=33

but as others have said you will probably be disappointed with the picture quality.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    won't a USB to RCA be able to job? red, white & yellow plugging into either rca ports on tv OR into a scart adaptor, kind you see on xboxes?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    won't a USB to RCA be able to job? red, white & yellow plugging into either rca ports on tv OR into a scart adaptor, kind you see on xboxes?

If you can find a USB to AA converter (with drivers of course, and basically just a USB video card), then it would do the job - but is there such a thing?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a connected TVOnics DTR HV-250 Freeview+ PVR with a dongle instead for iPlayer, with an RGB Scart to my TV's AV1 Scart - it's a 90's Toshiba CRT 4:3 TV, it is. The alternative is a Sony BD Player - also with a dongle and I use RCA Phonos.

Works for me and I'm future proofed for the time I can't find a decent preloved CRT TV (I prefer the sound of the CRT over the LCDs I've seen) and will then get a set with tuner for Freeview HD.