Lidl: Touchtab 8GB WiFi Tablet

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_36789.htm?offerdate=&ar2=&ERR=noservice

Lidl are doing this tablet next week.

Wondering if it will make a cheap 2nd tablet to use for situations where you won't want to risk a more expensive tablet?
Specs:

7" android 4.0 multi-touch tablet
Display resolution: 800 x 480 16:9 LCD display
Camera resolution: 640 x 480
Built-in webcam
8GB storage plus micro SD card slot supports Micro SD cards up to 32GB
USB 2.0 & mini USB ports
7.4V Li-ion battery, up to 6 hours moderate drain
Stereo audio output
Mic & 3.5mm headphone jack
Includes mains charger and stylus

Comments

• CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont buy if it has the very touch sensitive 'back' button on the bezel. its a serious pain in the bum, take my word for it:mad::mad:
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CaseyKlein wrote: »
    dont buy if it has the very touch sensitive 'back' button on the bezel. its a serious pain in the bum, take my word for it:mad::mad:

Thanks for the warning, trouble is I probably won't know till I've brought it, if the button is a bad one.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Th LIDL site doesn't mention Wifi or SIM

Should have wifi. SIM isn't important as one can use a wifi hot-spot off the phone.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Th LIDL site doesn't mention Wifi or SIM

Should have wifi. SIM isn't important as one can use a wifi hot-spot off the phone.
    It says wifi in the title lol.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks identical to the CNM tablet I bought from Argos a month ago (I reckon it's exactly the same - even the box is virtually identical!) and, to date, it's been absoulutely fine!

NOTE; unless I've missed something it's not a phone!

Bad points - takes just under a minute to get started, and another minute or so to log in to the nearest wifi, not much use if you are in a desperate hurry; the camera isn't up to much (but that's not I bought it for!) and so far it's been unable to accept BBC radio i-player app, and Eurosport player app. Also moving images on youtube, laola1 etc are a bit grainy if you are used to super-HD.

Good points - it does the job! Once logged in, web pages are nice and clear, can store all your stuff on mini SD card, lots of great apps in their free apps-store to add, easy to navigate around, battery sufficient (longer if wi-fi turned off) - nice looking pad too.

If you are on a budget (who isn't?) it's fine. Also good for the first-timer who doesn't want to spend more in case they can't work out how to use it...no names but his user-name begins with h :o
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Looks identical to the CNM tablet I bought from Argos a month ago (I reckon it's exactly the same - even the box is virtually identical!) and, to date, it's been absoulutely fine!

NOTE; unless I've missed something it's not a phone!

Bad points - takes just under a minute to get started, and another minute or so to log in to the nearest wifi, not much use if you are in a desperate hurry; the camera isn't up to much (but that's not I bought it for!) and so far it's been unable to accept BBC radio i-player app, and Eurosport player app. Also moving images on youtube, laola1 etc are a bit grainy if you are used to super-HD.

Good points - it does the job! Once logged in, web pages are nice and clear, can store all your stuff on mini SD card, lots of great apps in their free apps-store to add, easy to navigate around, battery sufficient (longer if wi-fi turned off) - nice looking pad too.

If you are on a budget (who isn't?) it's fine. Also good for the first-timer who doesn't want to spend more in case they can't work out how to use it...no names but his user-name begins with h :o

So does it connect to google play ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    So does it connect to google play ?

Hmmph. Thereby lies the problem. I reckon it does - but when I try to download from GP I get the message that I have not bought anything (or connected) from the shopping basket icon, and the whole thing falls apart. What shopping basket icon?
    It baffles me - but then again there's not much in the Google Play store I want or need.
    If you are after GP then suggest don't buy this - except that I'm a novice and maybe just haven't pushed the right buttons.

http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/downloads/touchpads/CnM%20Touchpad7%20User%20Manual.pdf
    Can anyone help?

Edit - aparantly not;
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1732194
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Hmmph. Thereby lies the problem. I reckon it does - but when I try to download from GP I get the message that I have not bought anything (or connected) from the shopping basket icon, and the whole thing falls apart. What shopping basket icon?
    It baffles me - but then again there's not much in the Google Play store I want or need.
    If you are after GP then suggest don't buy this - except that I'm a novice and maybe just haven't pushed the right buttons.

http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/downloads/touchpads/CnM%20Touchpad7%20User%20Manual.pdf
    Can anyone help?

Edit - aparantly not;
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1732194

Looking at page 40 of the manual it looks like it connects to Google Play
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Looking at page 40 of the manual it looks like it connects to Google Play

Just looked at my paper manual and there's no mention of Google play - so my effort must be a slightly different version than the one shown here. http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/downloads/touchpads/CnM%20Touchpad7%20User%20Manual.pdf
    Maybe mine's older?
    Anyway, I'll be contacting CNM to see if GP IS available or/and can mine be upgraded? Not too bothered if it can't.

Looks like if you are buying the lidl one, it's best to read the box to see what's on (or not on) offer!

My apps came from 1mobile market.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1727131#C

This is a list of compatable devices according to the play store, cant find any CNM devices on there
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over 5000 of these shifted yesterday in 30 minutes trade. I had a play about with one on wednesday afternoon and was very surprised. Great build quality and functionality. Nearest tablet to it is about £120-140 elsewhere.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    Over 5000 of these shifted yesterday in 30 minutes trade. I had a play about with one on wednesday afternoon and was very surprised. Great build quality and functionality. Nearest tablet to it is about £120-140 elsewhere.

Is that the CnM or the one at Lidl? (even if they're the same under different badges I'm just wondering if Lidl's sold that many or Argos for the CnM)
  • TonyOtherTonyOther Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I bought one of these on spec (Lidl's were only asking £79.99) and whereas it isn't bad, it isn't very good either and I am selling mine on while it is still in good nick and I still have the box.
    Good points are that using the net on wifi is as fast as any other way and I have also used my 3 USB dongle out and about and it works just fine. I even watched live TV just to see if it would work. It did. I don't know hassles others are having with Google Play Store because I have had none at all and was able to download all the apps I wanted.
    Bad points are that altough it isn't laggy with just one or two apps running, if you don't forcibly end an app, it really does start to struggle. I used an appkiller and regularly took a look at what was running and killed off all those I didn't need and it works fine.
    The 800x600, even on a 7in screen, is really not good enough. Fine for TV etc, but if you want to read papers etc online, you start to yearn for a better resolution.
    I would say that as a starter tablet it is OK, but don't expect heaven on earth and use your nous. As I said, I am selling mine on and will look out for something with higher specs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Every time i use my tablet it comes up with wait whilst browser is loading, is it something im doing wrong!!! Help, its not the internet connection as all other laptops ect are working fine. I may return it!! Also i cannot load my photos from my camera please help!!
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this, same price, better spec, double the storage and has 4.1 jellybean, dual core 1.6 cpu and quad core graphics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400389915463?item=400389915463
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidl doing tablets again on Thursday. Blink and you'll miss them
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.....
  • spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Lidl are selling tablets again, as of this coming Thursday...
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=1691&ar=3

Pretty decent specs, and reasonably priced.
    There is no mention of Google Play, but it should be there, and if not, there will be the 1MOBILE market, which should have enough apps.
    Plus, it comes with Android Jellybean!
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tablet does look quite good considering it's a cheapo...
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tablet does look quite good considering it's a cheapo...

It does but the battery life is a bit naff (4 hours).
  • plumsplums Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this but having checked online Carphone Warehouse are doing it for £10 cheaper.
    spotify95 wrote: »
    Lidl are selling tablets again, as of this coming Thursday...
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=1691&ar=3

Pretty decent specs, and reasonably priced.
    There is no mention of Google Play, but it should be there, and if not, there will be the 1MOBILE market, which should have enough apps.
    Plus, it comes with Android Jellybean!
  • spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    It does but the battery life is a bit naff (4 hours).

It's good enough for what I need. I've got the tablet and it's actually quite good - and yes it DOES have Google Play, so apps are not a problem. All in all, a good tablet at a great price.