LPG conversion certificate advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
Forum Member
✭✭✭
HI
Looking for some advice, anyone who works for dvla, car insurance or in lpg conversion may be able to help clarify this for me. Or indeed someone who has had the same problem as me.

We have brought a grand cherokee jeep that has an LPG conversion.

On going through the paperwork it seems there is no certificate of conformity for the LPG conversion and the vehicle is registered with dvla as being petrol and not LPG.

My question is this, can i get an inspection by a qualified fitter that will be able to produce a certificate of conformity or failing that an inspection document that will enable me to get it registered as LPG with dvla (for the cheaper road tax) and also that will satisfy my insurer?

I have phoned round a few lpg conversion companies and have been told different things.

I am now trying to clarify which one is correct.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you will need to take it to a DVLA testing station, in order to have its class changed. These are not on every street corner and only some wil have the relevant facilities. Call the DVLA to ask for further advice.

That said, can you contact the converters, they may have a copy, assuming that they obtained one in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    No, you will need to take it to a DVLA testing station, in order to have its class changed. These are not on every street corner and only some wil have the relevant facilities. Call the DVLA to ask for further advice.

That said, can you contact the converters, they may have a copy, assuming that they obtained one in the first place.

Can't find anything though the dvla and testing site that states they will carry out checks on LPG systems.
    Can't speak to a human at dvla, no one answering the phones.

Also we have no record of who fitted the system so can't contact them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the people you bought the car from? Is there any indication on the tank or conversion module?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    What about the people you bought the car from? Is there any indication on the tank or conversion module?

Bought the car from a trader, he is away on holiday so cant get hold of him till he gets back. There is nothing on the tank to indicate who carried it out as far as i can see .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have the V5? If you do, take it to your nearest DVLA office. Complete section seven and ask them for further details. I doubt if you will get anywhere today. They will then contact you at a later date with an appointment with your local DVLA testing station. This is the only way to change the taxation class of a vehicle of this nature. That said, it is entirely possible that this has already been done. It is very unusual if it hasn't.

If it hasn't, then the trader is liable and you really should take it up with him. If it has not got the relevant certification, there is no indication that the conversion was carried out by an Autogas accredited converter.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redjay wrote: »
    HI
    Looking for some advice, anyone who works for dvla, car insurance or in lpg conversion may be able to help clarify this for me. Or indeed someone who has had the same problem as me.

We have brought a grand cherokee jeep that has an LPG conversion.

On going through the paperwork it seems there is no certificate of conformity for the LPG conversion and the vehicle is registered with dvla as being petrol and not LPG.

My question is this, can i get an inspection by a qualified fitter that will be able to produce a certificate of conformity or failing that an inspection document that will enable me to get it registered as LPG with dvla (for the cheaper road tax) and also that will satisfy my insurer?

I have phoned round a few lpg conversion companies and have been told different things.

I am now trying to clarify which one is correct.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Redjay,

Both our vehicles are LPG and have certificates.

So long as you have a certificate proving conformity for the system fitted, there isn't a problem,---- it has to be issued by someone who fits the system installed.

The vehicle will not need re-testing so long as the certificate is in place.

You will need to go along to a DVLA office, hand in you log book, MOT, LPG certificate, tax disk, maybe insurance to, I can't remember.

You will be issued a new tax disk and a new updated log book will follow.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hello Redjay,

Both our vehicles are LPG and have certificates.

So long as you have a certificate proving conformity for the system fitted, there isn't a problem,---- it has to be issued by someone who fits the system installed.

The vehicle will not need re-testing so long as the certificate is in place.

You will need to go along to a DVLA office, hand in you log book, MOT, LPG certificate, tax disk, maybe insurance to, I can't remember.

You will be issued a new tax disk and a new updated log book will follow.
    He doesn't have one
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't have one

I'm aware of that Dante, poor grammar on my part, I should have written " so long as you get a certificate----"