Paternoster Row Spin-Off: What Would You Like?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
I saw this great fan-poster for a Vastra-Jenny-Strax spinoff (http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Paternoster-Row-Vastra-Jenny-Strax-Spin-Off-369861516) so I decided to make a thread about it.

They've become popular enough that lots of people have been very vocal about wanting a spin off starring these three. But what exactly would a Paternoster Row show need to be able to stand on its own?

What sort of villains and monsters would they fight? What kind of trials would we want to see the heroes fight on a weekly basis? Should they have their own archenemy akin to the Doctor's Master or Sherlock's Moriarty?

How much should the parent show be present? Should it only be rarely talked about, like Torchwood, or maybe occasionally crossover with it, like The Sarah Jane Adventures?

Arcs? What sort of series-long story arcs could happen of the course of thirteen episodes? What about more personal character arcs for the characters themselves?

What kind of original characters should the show have? The show would likely extend its cast beyond three, so what all sorts of characters should appear, what would be interesting to see?

Discuss.

Comments

• Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother watching. Not interested in spin-offs.

BUT...

Jago & Lightfoot crossover would be a sure thing surely? Not sure how the timelines match-up but they could make them match and I'm sure no-one would really care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother watching. Not interested in spin-offs.

BUT...

Jago & Lightfoot crossover would be a sure thing surely? Not sure how the timelines match-up but they could make them match and I'm sure no-one would really care.

I have got to see the Talons of Weng-Chiang. I keep seeing references to it pop up.

I'd watch a Paternoster spinoff, provided that we're not talking another BBC Kids series (I was able to watch a single SJA episode). What I'm afraid of is that the trio is too cartoonish to do anything else, though (especially Strax). You could do a lot with the mysteries of a London that is the Capital of the British Empire at its furthest extent, and make a show that deals with the macabre, weird, and alien in a very stylized, surreal way.

Or you can have a bunch of silly Strax jokes, people fainting a the sight of Vastra every other take, and Jenny and Vastra constantly shocking their Victorian contemporaries with the fact of their relationship. Even that would be better than SJA, but not much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see it! Also I think a BBC three start would be good one series to see how it goes

It would have to be very Steampunk-ey I think. You could have Cyberman story, a Weeping Angel story or what that make it too close to Who? I guess the Sontarans could return to cause havoc but Strax stands up to his own, a more serious to for him while keeping the humour? And for a "series" villain The Great Intelligence would seem to work...

Just thought...

• BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »

... But what exactly would a Paternoster Row show need to be able to stand on its own?

What sort of villains and monsters would they fight? What kind of trials would we want to see the heroes fight on a weekly basis? Should they have their own archenemy akin to the Doctor's Master or Sherlock's Moriarty?

How much should the parent show be present? Should it only be rarely talked about, like Torchwood, or maybe occasionally crossover with it, like The Sarah Jane Adventures?

Arcs? What sort of series-long story arcs could happen of the course of thirteen episodes? What about more personal character arcs for the characters themselves?

What kind of original characters should the show have? The show would likely extend its cast beyond three, so what all sorts of characters should appear, what would be interesting to see?

To stand on its own, I think it would need to develop Vastra, Jenny, and (in particular) Strax a lot more. I like them a lot but that's only from seeing them as support acts.

I'd like to see more about Vastra and Jenny's relationship. What is it really like to have a gay inter-species relationship? I'd really want to see Strax developed beyond more than just a comic sidekick - that's fine for appearances in DW, but in his show, there should be something more. Perhaps show what he feels like in his current role as a butler. This is a guy bred for war and battle - how does he feel now?

I wouldn't want to see the parent show mentioned, at least not in the beginning. I think spin offs work better when they're forced to work within their own 'world' rather than rely on the established parent series.

As for the stories, I'm not a creative mastermind, but it might be worth looking at the social and economic conditions of the time and basing stories around that. Not sure if people would be interested in that :confused:. I'd want to avoid it being another monster of the week show set in a different era.

For characters (and at the risk of ripping of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), they could use some of the literary characters of the time for inspiration. I don't mind if they play fast and loose with the timezones. So, you could be looking at 'reimagined' versions of Jekyll and Hyde, Moriarty and Holmes, Invisible Man, Jack the Ripper etc. I love archenemies so I would like to see one. I wouldn't like to see villains and monsters carried over from DW - again, I would want to see this show stand on its own.

bobbit mentioned a steampunk feel - I'd agree with that. Maybe alternatives to modern technologies but made using the equipment and style of the era. I wonder what a mobile phone would look like?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    BlueZane00 wrote: »

For characters (and at the risk of ripping of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), they could use some of the literary characters of the time for inspiration. I don't mind if they play fast and loose with the timezones. So, you could be looking at 'reimagined' versions of Jekyll and Hyde, Moriarty and Holmes, Invisible Man, Jack the Ripper etc. I love archenemies so I would like to see one. I wouldn't like to see villains and monsters carried over from DW - again, I would want to see this show stand on its own.

bobbit mentioned a steampunk feel - I'd agree with that. Maybe alternatives to modern technologies but made using the equipment and style of the era. I wonder what a mobile phone would look like?

This!

(And thanks!)
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    TCH was almost like a crossover episode. It took several turns before the Doctor and Clara joined in the "fun". Neve Mcintosh, Catrin Stewart and Dan Starkey were all excellent and I can see them being very good leads in a spin off series centred on their characters. My main worry is that Strax jokes could become very old very quickly and his character would need development.

I'd green light a series! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    i know they couldn't get the actors on a regular basis but my fantasy verson of the show would definitely retain ada gillyflower and bring back jackson lake
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »

Discuss.

We already know Vastra works with Scotland Yard on occasion so there would probably be one or two recurring Policemen (probably an Inspector and a constable).

We know Sir Arthur Conan Doyle knows them (and based Sherlock and Watson on them) so he could be a recurring character.

Torchwood would have to be aware of Vastra and Strax but since she too works for the betterment of the British Empire they probably tolerate the Paternoster Gang. So as with the Police there could well be the recurring Torchwood agent(s) who sometimes work with the Gang but things probably don't go all that smoothly.

Possibly a Mrs Hudson, we haven't seen any other staff at Paternoster Row but a housekeeper (who doesn't usually get involved in the adventures) could well exist.

As said above Jago and Litefoot are also investigating strange goings on at this point in time so they could appear occasionally.

HG Wells is another possible occasional character, having met the Doctor in 1885 he's aware that aliens do indeed exist.

They could have Jack Harkness appear, he's around from 1869 but does not join Torchwood till 1899.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scared I'm going to get shot down with a load of sarcasm for even needing to ask, but why are they called The Paternoster Gang on here? Or does everyone call them that on every DW discussion site?

I haven't missed an episode, but I can't recall when/if/where they were called that on screen - although clearly if they were I was asleep during that bit!

I love them, by the way - if it was well-written I'd watch a spin-off, no question. The whole Sherlock Holmes era they reside in, and the way they've been clearly stated as living in 'his' London, lends itself to a lot of options. I even love Strax, though I knew he annoys a lot of people on here! I think it's the way he delivers the what could be seen as daft lines in such a dead-pan way that does it for me - Dan Starkey does take it all very seriously in terms of approaching the role, and I think that comes through in his performance, e.g. there's no sense of him thinking "It's just a job that pays quite well - more than that I couldn't care less", and he has really entered into the spirit of what makes DW what it is!

But I'm honestly not sure why they're called The Paternoster Gang! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But I'm honestly not sure why they're called The Paternoster Gang! :o

They live on a street called Paternoster Row and were called The Paternoster Gang by the Narrator in the Minisode "The Great Detective".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sign me up for watching this :)
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES PLEASE!! :D

Vastra, Jenny and strax are a wonderful trio and a spin-off is something I would like to see. I wasn't a big fan of how they were in the Snowmen, but the Crimson Horror showed them at their best for me.

Victorian crime-fighters and alien busters......The Paternoster Gang has to happen! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES YES YES YES YES! Love the three of them!

I would lvoe them to start it on BBC Three...either as a 8 episode first series or like SJA have 6 two part episodes to make 12 episodes OR have like Torchwood a 13 episode story arc.

I love the idea of perhaps a big bad/regualr foe for them to face much like the Trickster on SJA...and i lvoe the idea of them bringing confrontation to society in Victorian London facing very human threats as well as intergerlactic and monsters. It would be like From Hell meets Ripper Street with a Tim Burton twist :D....and Mark gatiss better write a couple of storylines too...that surreal steam punk feel is perfect!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .and Mark gatiss better write a couple of storylines too..

I'd probably have him as Showrunner to be honest and let the Moff concentrate on DW.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I'd probably have him as Showrunner to be honest and let the Moff concentrate on DW.

THAT would work so well actually! :eek: Maybe Moff could then guest write an ep if he wanted and have Mark in charge...that would be a brilliant idea!

Lets make this happen :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it would cost too much to do a costume drama like that - especially a sci-fi costume drama. The 'good' thing about the Sarah Jane Adventures was that it was modern times and cheap.

I'd love to see it though.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it would cost too much to do a costume drama like that - especially a sci-fi costume drama. The 'good' thing about the Sarah Jane Adventures was that it was modern times and cheap.

I'd love to see it though.
    Maybe the first episode could show the characters frozen or sent through a portal to the 21st Century? It's already established that Vastra and Strax can adapt to new surroundings, so modern London would shock Jenny most of all.
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love it, as long as it is in line with Doctor who.

No SJA stuff, that was good for children, but I couldn't watch it.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Maybe they should do it as a Sherlock/Being Human style of a show?

I think that would work for the characters.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    My thoughts on this concept as a spin-off are mixed. It sounds very much like overkill of what is essentially a novelty bunch of characters.

If it had to happen though...

3-5 episodes a year. Perhaps aired as 90 minute stories, or as two-parters over a weekend. Nothing too difficult in regards to production, and nothing as massive as Torchwood.

A steampunk feel to the whole thing. Make the most out of the Victorian setting. The BBC have always been great at period dramas, even within Doctor Who.

A fourth member of the gang, serving as a relateable character. Most likely human, and perhaps helping to explain away how a Silurian and Sontaran can get away with so many stories without getting caught.

Mark Gatiss to lead the show. I feel his efforts are very well suited to both the Victorian era, and the dark humour it could entail. Writers could be a mix of the familiar family-friendly 'uns like Gareth Roberts, and perhaps a testing ground for new writers hoping to have a go on 'Who.

Stories should be a bit more personal, rather than epic and ambitious. Save bigger stories for Doctor Who. Mostly no time travelling outside the era, and perhaps aside from a cameo in the opening story...no Doctor.

As a story arc, perhaps a reference to Victorian Torchwood? :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobbit wrote: »
    I'd love to see it! Also I think a BBC three start would be good one series to see how it goes

It would have to be very Steampunk-ey I think. You could have Cyberman story, a Weeping Angel story or what that make it too close to Who? I guess the Sontarans could return to cause havoc but Strax stands up to his own, a more serious to for him while keeping the humour? And for a "series" villain The Great Intelligence would seem to work...

Just thought...

I think you're right in that it could work really well with a steampunk type feel to it.
    I can imagine a lot of potential as the BBC are one of the best when it comes to creating period looks, especially of a Victorian/Edwardian kind.

As long as it's not pitched at the same audience as The Sarah Jane Adventures. Which was good, but I wouldn't want the same treatment for this.

They could do a lot. The recent Ripper Street demonstrated how impressive in style the BBC could do this to fit with a certain audience. Victorian pieces don't have to be plodding costume dramas.

Since 2005 whenever Doctor Who has visited the Victorian period, stylistically it has looked stunning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobbit wrote: »

Just thought...

To make Strax work realistically they could make a reference to The Elephant Man and Victorian freakshows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

Good call on Gatiss. History and period pieces are what he loves.
    He loves his horror too. I can see Gatiss in his element here.
  • Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    A series would be amazing. I agree to not make it like SJA, perhaps the same time slot for who when it's not on.

If it did happen I would like to find out more about jenny. I know some don't like the "family stories" in who, but would be fascinating with this given that jenny is supposed to be a gay woman living in victorian times. I wonder how her family feel about that? I'm guessing they just disowned her or something?

Someone said something on this about strax vs the sontarans.
    That would be good as well. Has it been explained yet why strax isn't with the sontarans anymore?

There could be some really good stories if a series did happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on this concept as a spin-off are mixed. It sounds very much like overkill of what is essentially a novelty bunch of characters.

If it had to happen though...

3-5 episodes a year. Perhaps aired as 90 minute stories, or as two-parters over a weekend. Nothing too difficult in regards to production, and nothing as massive as Torchwood.

A steampunk feel to the whole thing. Make the most out of the Victorian setting. The BBC have always been great at period dramas, even within Doctor Who.

A fourth member of the gang, serving as a relateable character. Most likely human, and perhaps helping to explain away how a Silurian and Sontaran can get away with so many stories without getting caught.

Mark Gatiss to lead the show. I feel his efforts are very well suited to both the Victorian era, and the dark humour it could entail. Writers could be a mix of the familiar family-friendly 'uns like Gareth Roberts, and perhaps a testing ground for new writers hoping to have a go on 'Who.

Stories should be a bit more personal, rather than epic and ambitious. Save bigger stories for Doctor Who. Mostly no time travelling outside the era, and perhaps aside from a cameo in the opening story...no Doctor.

As a story arc, perhaps a reference to Victorian Torchwood? :)

Love the idea of this....i love Shawns idea of having it like Being Human in set up too.

I love the idea of Mark leading it, an a testing ground would work for writers too.

ANd i lvoe the idea of expanding on each of them too....family ties and all that...simply must happen!

Also as for a fourth member...why not a male detective type character to be a face for the team maybe...as you say there...it would balance the dynamic a bit too..and make something truly interesting to expand upon too :)