Are there ANY decent small TVs?

Does such a thing exist? Something in the upper 20 inch range.

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what your definition of "decent" is, what you want/hope the TV will do and how much you want to pay.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Depends what your definition of "decent" is, what you want/hope the TV will do and how much you want to pay.

Well...good picture quality above all else.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sony KDL-22EX553 bought 2 weeks ago. The 22" version of the 26" one listed above.

OK it's pricey at about £280, but it is internet enabled with built in b/g/n Wireless Card and Network Card.
    It does iPlayer HD with a Wireless G Router/Modem no problem. Also it can be used as a reserve PC monitor, it does that well.

Of course you don't have to use those facilities. Sony don't make small ones without the 'smart' things.

The TN LCD Panel is a sort of matt with very little reflection, excellent. However the surround is a dimpled piano black and is convex so catches the light a bit, can be annoying depending on your room lighting.

As always in these thin boxes the sound is equally thin, not too good, but there is a lot of options to twiddle and get it a bit better.

The default settings for the picture has too much fancy (unnecessary) processing, again twiddle that to very low, or off, and the picture quality is very good.

The Remotes key spacing on the central two concentric rings around the OK key is too close. Fat fingers easily pressing wrong keys.

Other than those minor points it is very good overall.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    On smaller sets I have found that the "poor picture quality" is easily fixed with a £20 HD Freeview receiver.

The panels at this end of the market are most often just computer monitor panels anyway -- so by connecting via HDMI at 1080p you're pretty much connected native to the screen.

Indeed I know a couple of people who have connected cheap Freeview receivers (the ADB i-CAN is a good cheap box) directly to computer monitors (which generally have HDMI inputs now, and often small speakers, and cost very little for higher quality than you generally find in TVs of the same price) with great results.