Does anyone know what this old Windows icon is for?

Totally stumped. 100 internet points to anyone that can identify it!

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/821/5ms6.jpg

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... Lets see what's in this link then...

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/821/5ms6.jpg

Nope. No idea what program that's for. Where did you get the image from? Surely it must have had what program it was for where you got it from?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Looks like a clock, pen, and week/month calendar so could be some kind of diary app?
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a Pacman. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the diary software logos I've seen match this... bonkers isn't it? It's my son's ICT homework...
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I haven't seen it before. However corrupt file is jumping out at me for some reason.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's my son's ICT homework...
    Struggling to see the point of the homework.
    When you say old do you know if it is windows 3.x.x or w95 or w98?
    I'd go with pacman too! Or some sort of warning, broken: link, shortcut, folder, file.
    Perhaps it's a cricket game, as it looks like 3 stumps with a batsman above them.
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the 2003 PowerPoint icon on its side.
    http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Microsoft_PowerPoint
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxG wrote: »
    It's the 2003 PowerPoint icon on its side.
    http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Microsoft_PowerPoint

We have a winner!!

A thousand thank-yous AxG !
  • Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the diary software logos I've seen match this... bonkers isn't it? It's my son's ICT homework...

Are they really expecting kids to memorise program icons? What a mental waste of time! Although it does explain why we see IT graduates nowadays with no idea of how to write a simple recursive loop, or understanding of boolean logic.

Your son should tell them he prefers to use his brain cells for memorising stuff that might actually come in useful.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    Are they really expecting kids to memorise program icons? What a mental waste of time! Although it does explain why we see IT graduates nowadays with no idea of how to write a simple recursive loop, or understanding of boolean logic.

Your son should tell them he prefers to use his brain cells for memorising stuff that might actually come in useful.

This!!:confused::eek:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Magic8Ball wrote: »

What is the point in it? No wonder you get people who know how to use Facebook and MS Word but no idea of how computers work or what to do when it goes wrong. I don't spend all day sitting at my Mac memorising every icon OSX has. I know what icons are in my Dock because I put them there. I didn't have to memorise them to know or to use the machine.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the purpose of the homework is not to identify the icon per se, but rather the process of using the Internet to find out the answer. I guess it's teaching people how to search for answers (or in this case, get one's parents to do it).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually it's a test to gauge the overall knowledge level of the class - first time they've had ICT as a dedicated lesson, and this was one of around 20 symbols and icons, some easier than others!

Each will be described properly, so as well as this Office suite there will be zip compression and Powerpoint and all the uses of each, so it's actually a quick way for the teacher to plan the lessons according to the abilities and knowledge of each pupil. I think it's impressive... so far...
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could also just be a fun activity that gets kids used to the names and uses of different programs. Just a little quiz to get them thinking, don't read too much into it!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Actually it's a test to gauge the overall knowledge level of the class - first time they've had ICT as a dedicated lesson, and this was one of around 20 symbols and icons, some easier than others!

Each will be described properly, so as well as this Office suite there will be zip compression and Powerpoint and all the uses of each, so it's actually a quick way for the teacher to plan the lessons according to the abilities and knowledge of each pupil. I think it's impressive... so far...

Do they actually teach how computers work and stuff like that or is it just MS Office? Were all the icons from Windows or were there any Mac ones?