Sky Shared Planner To Launch End Of This Month?

Comments

• big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon41 wrote: »
    it's always going to happen when you use members of the public for testing, there's always one or two who have to mention things.

Yup, that's it! That's why they have these NDA's though, so that they have some form of comeback against people who let the cat out of the bag. That said, you'll always have folk with big mouths!
  • pete32pete32 Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    The poster that was deleted made many informative contributions to this forum, not someone what l would label " a big mouth". Is DS bound by Sky NDA's? We are not talking NATO nuclear missile launch codes, just a slight upgrade on a set-top box.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    pete32 wrote: »
    The poster that was deleted made many informative contributions to this forum, not someone what l would label " a big mouth". Is DS bound by Sky NDA's? We are not talking NATO nuclear missile launch codes, just a slight upgrade on a set-top box.
    Anyone signing up for beta testing this time had to explicitly agree to a NDA - after leaks in the past!
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Anyone signing up for beta testing this time had to explicitly agree to a NDA - after leaks in the past!

Exactly! But as we mentioned earlier as soon as you involve joe public with beta test, NDA or no NDA you always get those few who break the silence to boast about already having that feature.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, that's it! That's why they have these NDA's though, so that they have some form of comeback against people who let the cat out of the bag. That said, you'll always have folk with big mouths!

Apologies, I wasn't actually referring to the poster on this particular thread as a "big mouth". It was more general.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter how many post have been deleted we do have valid evidence that the new EPGs have a function for external read/write to the planners, look at the Sky+ app this has full planner management functions so the gateway is there.

Id imagine the transport of content and a "scan for additional boxes" is being tested, as for PVR on the go i wouldn't think this will come yet. Local LAN keeps sky in the good books by not allowing you to effectively broadcast your recording to other people or locations - although i would guess it should be to hard to remotely connect into your own lan when on the move and to the sky box, bandwidth may be an issue and also if you have 4 Sky+HD streaming HD to each other then there could be potential for network traffic to be hammered especially if you have fibre and are downloading at a high rate (with the hub being 100Mbps).

I think finally sky are actually improving where before it was very static , its all good.
  • druid77druid77 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I'm no beta tester but my recently installed Sky+ box has an option under "Parental" labelled "Sharing" (When sharing is "ON" other devices with Sky software or applications on the same network can be used to connect to this box, control it and view the planner contents".

Unfortunately I have no other boxes on the same network to test it with
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    druid77 wrote: »
    I'm no beta tester but my recently installed Sky+ box has an option under "Parental" labelled "Sharing" (When sharing is "ON" other devices with Sky software or applications on the same network can be used to connect to this box, control it and view the planner contents".

Unfortunately I have no other boxes on the same network to test it with

that's for iphone/ipad/android app connectivity.
  • druid77druid77 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    that's for iphone/ipad/android app connectivity.

I dont have any of those either :D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    druid77 wrote: »
    I dont have any of those either :D

maybe so, but the option is on all boxes, so you having it is nothing peculiar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah unfortunately that's just for the iPhone / iPad / android & PC app (still disabled since its leak last year)

Won't be long til it's finally active for us all, after the beta tester confirmed the service last week it certainly means it's in the final stages.
  • nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I can definitely say 100% FACT that it is NOT launching at the end of this month, in a few months maybe but not yet!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickosbad wrote: »
    I can definitely say 100% FACT that it is NOT launching at the end of this month, in a few months maybe but not yet!!!

I'd agree with that as so far we've only had one beta user who's blabbed about it, in the catch up thread we got a few then couple weeks later it was released for us all.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

GarryC's post a few days ago on the Pace/Samsung/DRX780 beta forum pretty much confirms this because he said it's currently in beta for the DRX890/895/595 boxes but won't go to beta for other boxes until later on this year.

It will probably release for the newer DRX boxes about the time it goes to beta for the older boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    GarryC's post a few days ago on the Pace/Samsung/DRX780 beta forum pretty much confirms this because he said it's currently in beta for the DRX890/895/595 boxes but won't go to beta for other boxes until later on this year.

It will probably release for the newer DRX boxes about the time it goes to beta for the older boxes.

Great news, although now we know that the other models aren't in a current beta for it - I wonder if this will turn into another Thomson box situation, "newer boxes only"
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, although now we know that the other models aren't in a current beta for it - I wonder if this will turn into another Thomson box situation, "newer boxes only"

Maybe not. Remember what happened with the new EPG: that came to the Pace/Samsung/780s at a later date.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member

I thought all the other boxes had already received the preliminary updates working towards the shared planner?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought all the other boxes had already received the preliminary updates working towards the shared planner?.

I don't know I'm not a beta tester but going from what they've leaked out already is that the pace / Samsung boxes aren't part of the beta - you'd think if they were testing for issues you'd want all boxes able to use the service being tested at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know I'm not a beta tester but going from what they've leaked out already is that the pace / Samsung boxes aren't part of the beta - you'd think if they were testing for issues you'd want all boxes able to use the service being tested at the same time.

As I said previously, the new EPG was not tested on all boxes at the same time. The 890/5 came first, then the 595/780/Pace and Samsungs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member

Definitely not launching at the end of the month..... Be patient, it's still in the testing phase. Good things come to those who wait!
    When it does launch, all compatible boxes will need to be connected via Ethernet/wireless connector to enable the boxes to share content via the local network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said previously, the new EPG was not tested on all boxes at the same time. The 890/5 came first, then the 595/780/Pace and Samsungs.

That's true but it was what the beta tester (now deleted message) that hinted that the Samsung / Pace boxes won't have the service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dishdonkey wrote: »
    Definitely not launching at the end of the month..... Be patient, it's still in the testing phase. Good things come to those who wait!
    When it does launch, all compatible boxes will need to be connected via Ethernet/wireless connector to enable the boxes to share content via the local network.

What boxes will work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So seems like the software will update towards end of this month / April given the amount of PM's floating about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So seems like the software will update towards end of this month / April given the amount of PM's floating about.
    Been staring into your crystal ball again? Even if it does launch at the end of the month or whenever, all features might not be activated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been staring into your crystal ball again? Even if it does launch at the end of the month or whenever, all features might not be activated.

No, was speaking with the installer on my road. Yeah he mentioned that planner sharing won't be enabled when the software is updated as the customer will be required to opt in for it.

Also there's a few posters who are sending PM's with links to screenshots.