How do peope know how to hang themselves?

QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
Forum Member
Just struck me before really. The latest "celeb" suicide by hanging was that fashion designer bloke a few days ago. Then thinking back a little while there was Mark Speight. How do these people know how to hang themselves? If I was sat completely depressed and at my wits end and wanted to end it all, I wouldn't have a CLUE how to hang myself. Did I miss a day in school or something? Where do people aquire this knowledge?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's actually that much to it (although I can't quite work out how, as a grown man, you can hang yourself in a wardrobe :confused:).
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't.

A proper hanging uses a large knot in a rope to break the neck, killing the person instantly.

Most suicides tie something round their neck and get themselves into a 'no going back' type situation, where they hang and suffocate but can't get out. It's a fairly slow and quite unpleasant death.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4444 wrote: »
    I don't think there's actually that much to it (although I can't quite work out how, as a grown man, you can hang yourself in a wardrobe :confused:).

Maybe it was more like a closet or walk in wardrobe? He was absoloutely loaded remember and lived in a luxury apartment.
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there are "How to" guides online.
  • TolstoyTolstoy Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For most suicides by 'hanging' I'd guess that they actually end up strangling themselves to death as opposed to the swift death that hanging by execution is. There are many tragic examples of young children being accidentally strangled to death by blind cords so I don't suppose it would be too difficult for an adult to manage similar deliberately.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4444 wrote: »

That is not really hanging in the true sense though - I know how they do it and you don't hang from anything unless you were a midget I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it was more like a closet or walk in wardrobe? He was absoloutely loaded remember and lived in a luxury apartment.

I have to admit that when I heard the news I did have to stifle a dark giggle at the thought of someone attempting this and repeatedly hurling themselves with fury against the walls of a tallboy. :D:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    They don't.

A proper hanging uses a large knot in a rope to break the neck, killing the person instantly.

Most suicides tie something round their neck and get themselves into a 'no going back' type situation, where they hang and suffocate but can't get out. It's a fairly slow and quite unpleasant death.

Indeed before hanging was a professional business - peoples relatives used to hang on to their legs to break their necks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Indeed before hanging was a professional business - peoples relatives used to hang on to their legs to break their necks.

Nice! :D
  • Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    They don't.

Actually - the most effective hanging method doesn't use a knot. It's a noose created from a rope with an eyelet through which the other end is passed and it is secured in place by a rubber washer.

It's the correct placement of the noose round the neck and the calculation of the correct length of drop for the individual's height and weight which ensures a clean break between two cervical vertebrae.

I doubt that people committing suicide can lay their hands on the correct equipment or work out the optimal drop for themselves.

But you're right - they would probably slowly strangle themselves - and it would be pretty unpleasant. Not an easy option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a episode of Oz that will teach you how to make someones death look like a choking from a door lever - Oz is like a instructional series for murderers :D
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would choose a slow and painful self-hanging over a quick and easy jump off Beachy Head...

Well, unless they want to feel as much pain and suffering on their way out, but still.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian Curtis did it on an indoor washing line. Can’t say I’d fancy it myself
  • Sharpie MarkerSharpie Marker Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Short drop - Old stylee as above.
    The Long drop - 20th century prison stylee - Refind to an artform by Mr Pierrepoint.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to a few hangings, and they are generally quite simply done, and several have not included a drop.

A Pathologist told me that it can also be very quick because of a nerve that is affected.

I wont go into detail though.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't the condemned occasionally pay people to do the same thing, or am I mixing up fact with fiction?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always think the French had the right idea, lets face it – there’s no fcking about with Madame Guillotine! I never knew why they had a woman there knitting though
  • Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to a few hangings, and they are generally quite simply done, and several have not included a drop.
    A Pathologist told me that it can also be very quick because of a nerve that is affected.

:confused: May I ask where?
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would choose a slow and painful self-hanging over a quick and easy jump off Beachy Head...

Well, unless they want to feel as much pain and suffering on their way out, but still.

Quick and easy? Maybe when you hit the bottom (if you are lucky enough to be killed outright) - but you still have those seconds it takes you to drop in which to change your mind :eek:
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A relative of mine, supposedly bedridden and unable to move, managed to hang himself whilst in hospital. Scary or what?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    :confused: May I ask where?

Not a drop in the accepted sense. This case was in a wardrobe, and I have seen similar spaces used.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was done on The Wire with no drop.

My policeman friend hates this sort of thing. Not because of what he sees but because it's the worst thing to have to tell the family.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to a few hangings.

Are you from the Middle Ages? :confused:
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always think the French had the right idea, lets face it – there’s no fcking about with Madame Guillotine! I never knew why they had a woman there knitting though

Public executions were family entertainment. Today's equivalent of a day out at Thorpe Park.

ETA: Your knitting woman gives whole new meaning to the phrase "Knit one, purl one, drop one."
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a drop in the accepted sense. This case was in a wardrobe, and I have seen similar spaces used.

Ah is see what you mean - I was puzzled too - I thought you meant executions - I think that may (?) be what Moany Liza thought too.