Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She Devil wrote: »

I didnt meet him, but Joe Walsh (guitarist for the eagles) was doing a live webcam chat (they used to do it through his website not sure if they still do) basically he turned his cam on and an msn type chat appeared and you had loads of people typing questions to him and he would either type back or talk, I have always admired him and looked forward to this for weeks, I asked my question, then suddenly felt really ill so ran off to the bathroom and left the computer, my boyfriend heard him saying my name then answering my question, my boyfriend had to type back that he was sorry but I wasnt there as I was being sick!

Do you remember that song he did in the 70s, about being famous, Life's Been Good? It had such rye funny lyrics: 'I go to parties. I stay 'til four. It's hard to leave when you can't find the door! So hard to handle, this fortune and fame. Everybody's so different, I haven't changed! Lucky I'm insane, after all I've been through! I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!!'
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lorraine Chase is lovely. <3
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Prodigy,so polite and lovely not abit like they come across on stage ,:):):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember that song he did in the 70s, about being famous, Life's Been Good? It had such rye funny lyrics: 'I go to parties. I stay 'til four. It's hard to leave when you can't find the door! So hard to handle, this fortune and fame. Everybody's so different, I haven't changed! Lucky I'm insane, after all I've been through! I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!!'

I love Joe Walsh!
    That's a great song!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    Many years ago I was in a pub in the city of London with a boyfriend & there was a trad jazz band playing.
    We got chatting with the drummer who introduced us to Akker Bilk who was at the bar
    He took us all to the 100 Club in Oxford Street as his guest
    What a night and what a lovely down to earth man never forgotten it

I love Akker's music and have been fortunate enough to meet him on two or three occasions and each time he has been absolutely lovely, chatty and down to earth, a really lovely man.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Years ago when I lived and worked in London (22 years ago actually :eek:), a friend of mine got mugged at the tube station. A kind man made sure she was okay and arranged and paid for a taxi to take her home, she thought he looked familiar and it was only later that she realised he was........Boy George!
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    K!nkyJ wrote: »
    Jeremy from monkey world- Lovely Guy!

I've met him too - absolute legend in my eyes! Granted many wouldn't consider him a 'celebrity' but he's been on TV a fair bit, and the work he does puts him well above most famous people IMO.

Quite a few years ago I met Simon King, the wildlife presenter/film-maker and he's a really lovely guy.

I met all of the band Athlete after a gig in 2009 and they all signed a CD for me - again they were very friendly and seemed touched that I'd waited to meet them, especially Joel (the singer).

Also met Editors after a gig the same year and again they came across as really down-to-earth, their third album had just gone to #1 as well. They seemed to really appreciate comments on the gig.

Finally, I've also been lucky enough to meet quite a few people from Dancing On Ice including Hayley Tammadon, Suzanne Shaw, Clare Buckfield, Daniel Whiston, Matt Evers, Michael Zenezini (before he was on DOI though!), Nina Ulanova & Katie Stainsby. Again, all really nice people and happy to take some time to sign an autograph and have a quick chat. Katie was particularly talkative - I do find it a bit awkward approaching people, so it really helps when they actually talk to me and ask if you enjoyed a show, etc.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I been reading this thread and I never met or know anyone famous. :(

Saw Dev Alahan off Corrie once in Sainsbury's/Asda- Never liked him anyway (I mean the character)...
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Bumped into Chris Packham at a children's playground once. I was with my friends 2 children and he was with his daughter. We were the only ones in the playground.

I sort of looked at him and knew I knew him but couldn't place him then it dawned on me (all this within about 30 seconds). I just said hello, he rolled his eyes turned away from me and said to his daughter 'c'mon, where going!'

Up yours Chris, I wasn't looking for an autograph!

Met Tom Baker in a Tesco queue once too, being a huge doctor who fan I simply said, 'thank you for being there in my childhood', his response was to look at me like I was something he stepped in and simply said 'Oh do f**k off!'

I still love him though!:D
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Bumped into Chris Packham at a children's playground once. I was with my friends 2 children and he was with his daughter. We were the only ones in the playground.

I sort of looked at him and knew I knew him but couldn't place him then it dawned on me (all this within about 30 seconds). I just said hello, he rolled his eyes turned away from me and said to his daughter 'c'mon, where going!'

Oh no :( I love Chris Packham on telly and find him very funny (and hot :o) but for some reason I can imagine him being a bit of an arse in the kind of situation you describe. Oh well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Met Tom Baker in a Tesco queue once too, being a huge doctor who fan I simply said, 'thank you for being there in my childhood', his response was to look at me like I was something he stepped in and simply said 'Oh do f**k off!'

Are you sure it was Chris Packham? If it was, it sounds like you weirded him out to me!

Tom Baker was very rude to you wasn't he? Not sure I'd like him afer that. :eek:
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tom Baker was very rude to you wasn't he? Not sure I'd like him afer that. :eek:

You know, I'm sure Tom Baker was niceness itself to starstruck kids in the 70s, staying in character as the Doctor-but I suspect he might just as habitually adopt a more cynical, non-oleaginous manner with professed former childhood fans, but in a tongue-in-cheek way not meant to cause offence. It fits with my image of him, and his rye personality.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I been reading this thread and I never met or know anyone famous. :(

Saw Dev Alahan off Corrie once in Sainsbury's/Asda- Never liked him anyway (I mean the character)...

From the interviews i've seen of him, he comes across to be just as irritating and boring as his character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    My father took my ten-year old son to a media show in October as he is a huge Dr Who fan. He met Frances Barber, Ian McNeice and Paul McGann.
    My dad said they were all really lovely, and Ian in particular was happy to chat away and apparently had a brilliant sense of humour. They all posed for photos as well.
  • ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We met Tom Baker at a Sci Fi convention years ago, my lad shares his name and he found it quite amusing. Huge huge man but quite sweet on that day.

Also met Danny John Jules who played Cat in red dwarf and he was (and still is) a lovely lovely guy. Gazza was there at the time as well with Jimmy Fivebellies or whatever his name was. He took a shine to my then 5 year old daughter and tried to pick her up but was so shaky and weak he couldn't. We left that day thinking he wasn't long for this world to be honest. Very nice, very polite but so obviously very ill.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have met and worked with many actors in the last 40 years and most of them were nice to meet.. (Of course there's always the odd one out)

Aitch,

Ooo, don't leave us dangling. Tell us who! :cool:
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Are you sure it was Chris Packham? If it was, it sounds like you weirded him out to me!

It was def Chris Packham, he lived near me in Southampton and used to get his Aston serviced at the same mechanic as me. I didn't freak him out, he just got all celeb on me. I just said something like, 'Oh hello, I thought I recognised you!' Two lone adults in park witth our kids, thought it might have broken the ice etc, my friends kids had even started playing with his daughter.
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the interviews i've seen of him, he comes across to be just as irritating and boring as his character.

Never seen an interview with him.

When I saw him in Asda- he looked quite rough-like so...

Other than that- not met anyone famous. Always wanted to meet Peter Kay or Ricky Gervais...
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's hilarious.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine met Kirk from Coronation Street yesterday (he switched on Penriths Christmas lights) and said he was lovely. Although just the same as Kirk in CS :D
  • CoolCatFlashCoolCatFlash Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Quite topical I guess but I live and work in Manchester and have had the misfortune to bump into Antony Cotton on a few occasions. I can whole-heartedly agree with what everyone says about him being a nasty piece of work.

The first time I encountered him was about three years ago near Christmas. He was on Canal St with Lisa Reilly. I noticed her before I realised she was with him because she was slightly drunk and knocked into me, I turned to see who it was and upon realising it was her sort of did a double take and probably looked a bit shocked. Without me saying anything she laughed and said 'Yes, it's me' so I laughed back at her and said something like it was ok, don't worry about it and was about to say have a nice Christmas when AC pulled her by the arm and sneered at me 'Oh, it's like he's never seen somebody famous before.' Lisa just sort of pulled a face at me as if to say, sorry about him and then we both walked away.

The second time I saw him was in a department store and I'd just finished paying for some stuff when he came up and piled loads of clothes on the cash desk and barked at the woman 'Can I just pay for these and go, I'm in a rush'.

The third time was last December just before Corrie's 50th anniversary and he was walking down Deansgate in Manchester wearing glasses. A few people still noticed him and a woman approached him to speak to him and he just put his hand up, said sternly 'NO!' and carried on walking. Me and my friend were in hysterics, because by that point it was a running joke that he was a bit of a c**t and that just proved it.

I also know a friend of a friend (yeah, I know...) who works at Granada and AC is well-known for his behaviour. There was a point, not sure if it still stands, where a long-running member of the cast refused to have any scenes with him because they could't stand him.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember if I've put this or not, but I met Peter Crouch when my son attended our local Child Development Centre. He was there for a presentation and he was playing for Villa at time, just before he hit the big time (no pun intended!). He was gracious and a bit shy but very likeable. Hope fame and fortune hasn't changed him for the worse.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Legend! :D

There is something totally awesome about being told to f**k off in a Tesco queue by Tom Baker.

Well done you! Post of the week.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite topical I guess but I live and work in Manchester and have had the misfortune to bump into Antony Cotton on a few occasions. I can whole-heartedly agree with what everyone says about him being a nasty piece of work.

The first time I encountered him was about three years ago near Christmas. He was on Canal St with Lisa Reilly. I noticed her before I realised she was with him because she was slightly drunk and knocked into me, I turned to see who it was and upon realising it was her sort of did a double take and probably looked a bit shocked. Without me saying anything she laughed and said 'Yes, it's me' so I laughed back at her and said something like it was ok, don't worry about it and was about to say have a nice Christmas when AC pulled her by the arm and sneered at me 'Oh, it's like he's never seen somebody famous before.' Lisa just sort of pulled a face at me as if to say, sorry about him and then we both walked away.

The second time I saw him was in a department store and I'd just finished paying for some stuff when he came up and piled loads of clothes on the cash desk and barked at the woman 'Can I just pay for these and go, I'm in a rush'.

The third time was last December just before Corrie's 50th anniversary and he was walking down Deansgate in Manchester wearing glasses. A few people still noticed him and a woman approached him to speak to him and he just put his hand up, said sternly 'NO!' and carried on walking. Me and my friend were in hysterics, because by that point it was a running joke that he was a bit of a c**t and that just proved it.

I also know a friend of a friend (yeah, I know...) who works at Granada and AC is well-known for his behaviour. There was a point, not sure if it still stands, where a long-running member of the cast refused to have any scenes with him because they could't stand him.

I really feel all us DSers should have a whip around and buy you an 'anti AC detector'. You seem to have had a bad run of luck in bumping into him. This device would mean you could walk the streets safely knowing you will not have to be within a 50 metre radius of this mean spirited individual! I'm sorry, I have a weird sense of humour.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, this vile sounding creature again.

He really is a legend in his own lunchbox isn't he. :mad:

I expect they noticed a giant receding hairline attached to a mouth before anything else.