nexus 7

glagysglagys Posts: 315
Forum Member
is it easy to copy a film from dvd to my pc then to my nexus 7 and if so how ???
in laymans terms please i'm no bill gates but no technophobe either

cheers
people

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Copying the film to the nexus is trivial.

The tricky bit is getting it to your computer. I'm sure you can find some guides to DVD ripping around.

Maybe freemake video converter. That is pretty straight forward. Convert it to mp4 h264 aac around 1GB. You may need something like dvdfab passkey to handle the encryption.
    Forum Member
    Oh bill gates doesn't use android.
  • glagysglagys Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Copying the film to the nexus is trivial.

The tricky bit is getting it to your computer. I'm sure you can find some guides to DVD ripping around.

Maybe freemake video converter. That is pretty straight forward. Convert it to mp4 h264 aac around 1GB. You may need something like dvdfab passkey to handle the encryption.

glad I didn't ask for a tech version

how far over my head did all that fly
    lol
  • glagysglagys Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    google play looks good lol
    Forum Member
    Download freemake video converter. Install it. Run it.

Put the disk in the computer. See what happens.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to use dvdshrink which is a freeware ripper. And it gets rid of all the annoying ads and so on.

this step by step video tutorial demonstrates how to use it.

Then just copy that file to the nexus and it should play with mxplayer or vlc or similar.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Handbrake to convert from the DVD to your computer.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another option is to use Handbrake, it has a format for Android tablet option. It is only an encoder, it does not remove DRM from DVD's etc.
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I used to use dvdshrink which is a freeware ripper. And it gets rid of all the annoying ads and so on.

this step by step video tutorial demonstrates how to use it.

Then just copy that file to the nexus and it should play with mxplayer or vlc or similar.

DVD shrink has not been updated for 9 years. It's single threaded. It can't handle modern protection.

But possibly the worst thing about that guide is that it will leave you with an ~8GB mpeg 2 file. If you were to use a modern codec it could be maybe a 10th that size.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    DVD shrink has not been updated for 9 years. It's single threaded. It can't handle modern protection.

But possibly the worst thing about that guide is that it will leave you with an ~8GB mpeg 2 file. If you were to use a modern codec it could be maybe a 10th that size.

?

Really, I must admit it's been ages since I used it (years) but I'm pretty sure you could compress the files down quite a bit from 4 gig.

I think the op isn't too technical and was looking for step by step guide in layman's terms on how to do it. Apologies to the op if that is not the case
    Forum Member
    ?

Really, I must admit it's been ages since I used it (years) but I'm pretty sure you could compress the files down quite a bit from 4 gig.

I think the op isn't too technical and was looking for step by step guide in layman's terms on how to do it. Apologies to the op if that is not the case

i agree with you in some respects. but there are techniques that are just as easy that use modern codecs. mpeg 2 was standardised nearly 20 years ago. modern codecs like h264 can achieve the same results at a fraction of the bitrate/file size.

only reason to use mpeg 2 these days is for legacy hardware.
    example:
    http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/images/2mbps_horse.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with you in some respects. but there are techniques that are just as easy that use modern codecs. mpeg 2 was standardised nearly 20 years ago. modern codecs like h264 can achieve the same results at a fraction of the bitrate/file size.

only reason to use mpeg 2 these days is for legacy hardware.
    example:
    http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/images/2mbps_horse.jpg

Well to honest if I want to get a movie ( that I already own on dvd or even blue ray ) on my nexus 7 and having a 60 meg connection there are much easier means than ripping the optical disk and converting which I won't go into here.
    Forum Member
    Well to honest if I want to get a movie ( that I already own on dvd or even blue ray ) on my nexus 7 and having a 60 meg connection there are much easier means than ripping the optical disk and converting which I won't go into here.

i concur.

and i don't have a moral issue with that. even if the legality is not so forgiving.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i concur.

and i don't have a moral issue with that. even if the legality is not so forgiving.

I think the main issue with that is really that a lot of ISPs are being "encouraged" to shut down that type of traffic. It seems the powers that be are keen to lock down the internet. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main issue with that is really that a lot of ISPs are being "encouraged" to shut down that type of traffic. It seems the powers that be are keen to lock down the internet. :rolleyes:

Again I won't go into details but regardless of some well known sites being blocked it's ludicrously easy to get around.