DS / LITE / 3DS / 3DS XL advice please

J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi looking for some advice, my son loves Mario games and i am looking at getting him a handheld for him to take with him when we go places (I always used to have my Gameboy with me when i was a kid :D).

Just wondering whether i should get one of the DS models or pay the extra and get a 3DS or pay even more and get the 3DS XL OR Get a WII U and he can play on the controller thing?

He is only just 7 so not sure if the 3DS may be a bit to complicated?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend the 3DS. You can play all DS games on, download previous NES, Game Boy and Game Boy color games on it, on top of the 3DS games as well. You have the widest selection if you pick that console. You can put parental controls on the 3DS so it does not show the 3D visuals, which also saves battery life too.

The Wii U game pad is not portable. it is designed to be played in the room the console is in. It will not work otherwise. It's like buying a PS3 and taking the remote away from the screen. It just won't do anything.

Like I said the 3DS is your best bet. Entirely up to you which size you get, regular or XL, there is no other difference than size. The original 3DS is the exact same size as the DS Lite, so it's very compact, but you still get a generous screen size.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    I would recommend the 3DS. You can play all DS games on, download previous NES, Game Boy and Game Boy color games on it, on top of the 3DS games as well. You have the widest selection if you pick that console. You can put parental controls on the 3DS so it does not show the 3D visuals, which also saves battery life too.

The Wii U game pad is not portable. it is designed to be played in the room the console is in. It will not work otherwise. It's like buying a PS3 and taking the remote away from the screen. It just won't do anything.

Like I said the 3DS is your best bet. Entirely up to you which size you get, regular or XL, there is no other difference than size. The original 3DS is the exact same size as the DS Lite, so it's very compact, but you still get a generous screen size.

Thats brilliant thanks for all the info, like the idea of the older games aswell. I had heard the 3D graphics had caused headaches so if it can be turned off thats good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    Thats brilliant thanks for all the info, like the idea of the older games aswell. I had heard the 3D graphics had caused headaches so if it can be turned off thats good.

My head couldn't get used to the 3D visuals initially, because it's such a surreal experience, but then after about 30 mins, I was fine. But you should only really have the 3D visuals for 15 at a time.

I've got some old school virtual console games,
    - Tetris - the original Gameboy version!!
    - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    - Super Mario Bros

And there will be more games coming to virtual console soon.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    My head couldn't get used to the 3D visuals initially, because it's such a surreal experience, but then after about 30 mins, I was fine. But you should only really have the 3D visuals for 15 at a time.

I've got some old school virtual console games,
    - Tetris - the original Gameboy version!!
    - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
    - Super Mario Bros

And there will be more games coming to virtual console soon.

one of my all time favourite games played it to death when i was a kid :D

I think i may end up playing on it for than my son hahaha