Jobseekers Allowance & Christmas Payments?

Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
Forum Member
Hi all don't know if any of you can help me but I thought I would ask anyway.

Normally I would be signing on this friday and recieve my benefit next wednesday, But with this friday being Boxing Day obviously the Job Centre will be closed.

Does anyone know how the benefits are going to be paid over the Christmas/ New year period?

Well I'm actually on this training course to improve my Numeracy and Literacy, so the signing on is done automatically for me, which makes it even more confusing for me, I meant to ask them last week except that for the latter part of the week I have been off bcause of the Flu.

Comments

• iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phone tomorrow and they will tell you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member
    So you normally receive your benefit on NYE then? You will still receive your benefit on that day as it is not a bank holiday.
  • DRofThuganomicsDRofThuganomics Posts: 4,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should get paid earlier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You won't have to sign if it's a holiday or if you are on a course.The benefit will be paid early because of the holidays.So you may get your regular payment and then a couple of days later you will get the next payment.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks, only reason I asked is that I would normally be signing on Boxing Day, just wondered if that made any difference to things
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Ok thanks, only reason I asked is that I would normally be signing on Boxing Day, just wondered if that made any difference to things
    As far as signing on for JSA, it makes a difference. A relative of mine who would normally have been due to sign on on New Years Eve was told last time they don't need to sign on again until 14 Jan, i.e. 4 weeks instead of 2.

As for your payments, New Year's Eve isn't a bank holiday, but the above must mean they are closed on that day anyway, so I would think you would receive your JSA a day early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember how it works, I think over a BH they pay you earlier than usual.

I remember when they were encoruaging us to give up the GIRO and change to BACS payment.

"Its faster, quicker and easier"

My sign on date was Wednesday, my Giro would be received the Monday after. With the "new quicker" BACS payment method I never used to get it until bloody Tuesday.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shouldn't you alreany know this, as they should tell you and give you a sheet of paper saying what dates payments go through???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go in to sign on I think they would hand you a paper advising of early payment dates. If you are on a course I'm not sure if they would send you anything with the early payment dates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortnightly payments are impractical with things like bills and all that stuff. We all now generally get paid monthly now and have our finances structured accordingly. How about a system where you'd get like £400 a month or whatever it works out to.
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP is on a course.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will receive your benefit as normal on 31st as this is not a bank holiday. The payment systems are automated.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Hi all don't know if any of you can help me but I thought I would ask anyway.

Normally I would be signing on this friday and recieve my benefit next wednesday, But with this friday being Boxing Day obviously the Job Centre will be closed.

Does anyone know how the benefits are going to be paid over the Christmas/ New year period?

Well I'm actually on this training course to improve my Numeracy and Literacy, so the signing on is done automatically for me, which makes it even more confusing for me, I meant to ask them last week except that for the latter part of the week I have been off bcause of the Flu.

i am due to sign on tuesday as normal ,i no doubt will get paid no later than wed rather than friday,or at least i hope i do ,or there will be hell to pay.it should an automatic release.all tax credits will get paid any day this week up to wed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will receive your benefit as normal on 31st as this is not a bank holiday. The payment systems are automated.

Just spoken to a friend by phone who is on JSA.
    They signed on the 10th and were given a letter which stated their next signing is on the 24th and their payment will be issued early. The letter states payment to be issued on 18th.It's payed into their account so I think that takes a couple of days.

Now the 24th isn't a holiday but the payment is being issued early.