Google X-Phone by Motorola

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://techivian.com/473-motorola-x-phone-specs-get-revealed-coming-with-4-7-inch-1080p-display-quad-core-processor/

Some specs seem to have been revealed. Looks like the 'X-phone' could be sporting a 4.7 inch 1080p display. Processor wise, if this is to be believed they have opted to go the Tegra route, with the new Quad core Nvidia Tegra 4i. Great for gaming and 3D performance, but will it be better for battery life compared to a Tegra 3 or the snapdragon line of processors?

Camera would be a 16mp shooter and they are cramming 5mp for the front facing camera. Of course being a Nexus/google device, it will ship with Android 5.0 key Lime Pie. Obviously a good deal before Android OEMs tweak and release their version of the updates on rival handsets.

Looks like this phone could be a monster. None of this is confirmed however but it throws up some talking points.

Phone should be revealed at Google I/O event, May 15th.

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    http://techivian.com/473-motorola-x-phone-specs-get-revealed-coming-with-4-7-inch-1080p-display-quad-core-processor/

Some specs seem to have been revealed. Looks like the 'X-phone' could be sporting a 4.7 inch 1080p display. Processor wise, if this is to be believed they have opted to go the Tegra route, with the new Quad core Nvidia Tegra 4i. Great for gaming and 3D performance, but will it be better for battery life compared to a Tegra 3 or the snapdragon line of processors?

Camera would be a 16mp shooter and they are cramming 5mp for the front facing camera. Of course being a Nexus/google device, it will ship with Android 5.0 key Lime Pie. Obviously a good deal before Android OEMs tweak and release their version of the updates on rival handsets.

Looks like this phone could be a monster. None of this is confirmed however but it throws up some talking points.

Phone should be revealed at Google I/O event, May 15th.

still all rumours at the mo. also allegedly waterproof (splashproof ?) with an 'unbreakable' (flexible ?) screen and kevlar body .....

Google are also alleged to be talking 'days' of batter ylife rather than 'hours' .....

how much of this is true is anyones guess.

Im watching with interest though :)
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    still all rumours at the mo. also allegedly waterproof (splashproof ?) with an 'unbreakable' (flexible ?) screen and kevlar body .....

Google are also alleged to be talking 'days' of batter ylife rather than 'hours' .....

how much of this is true is anyones guess.

Im watching with interest though :)

Yeah, we'll just make use of this thread then for rumour dumping hehe :D

On a serious note, Moto phones these days looks they have have great battery life. So I'm really hoping they nail it on that side of things. Will this just be the next nexus? So should be sold direct by google like the N4? May just end up as the N5 by Motorola.

Bloody hell! Imagine, if you couldn't get an N4 for 2 months, imagine what it's going to be like trying to get this?
    Forum Member
    Yeah, we'll just make use of this thread then for rumour dumping hehe :D

On a serious note, Moto phones these days looks they have have great battery life. So I'm really hoping they nail it on that side of things. Will this just be the next nexus? So should be sold direct by google like the N4? May just end up as the N5 by Motorola.

Bloody hell! Imagine, if you couldn't get an N4 for 2 months, imagine what it's going to be like trying to get this?

again, all rumours, but they reckon it will be a 'full price' phone that sits alongside the Nexus range rather than a Nexus Phone.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked Motorola phones, they would have to improve to what they used to be, just chucked together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I never liked Motorola phones, they would have to improve to what they used to be, just chucked together.

I've never really been a fan of LG phones, but the Nexus 4 is seriously good. So you never know, it could exceed your expectations this time around.

Of course no one really knows much yet, so until it's out and been reviewed etc, we won't have much of an idea.
    Forum Member

the motorola phones so far have been 'what was in the pipeline' prior to the Google purchase apparently. This is the first proper Google/Motorola phone collaboration since the purchase.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see them having a UBP screen - that's the sort of technology that companies that have been working on flexible displays for years haven't even introduced to the market yet, so I'd be shocked if Google/Motorola pulled something like that out of the bag.

As for Tegra rumour, if it's true then they've shot themselves in the foot.
    Tegra4i is a gimped version of Tegra4 using an older architecture that's aimed at budget devices. And even the full Tegra4 using the newer architecture seems unlikely to mount any serious competition to the likes of the Snapdragon 8-- or Exynos 5 Octa.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a razr phone years ago which was a solid bit of kit. We'll all have to wait and see what this one is actually like and it'll be up against the S4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really been a fan of LG phones, but the Nexus 4 is seriously good. So you never know, it could exceed your expectations this time around.

Of course no one really knows much yet, so until it's out and been reviewed etc, we won't have much of an idea.
    the motorola phones so far have been 'what was in the pipeline' prior to the Google purchase apparently. This is the first proper Google/Motorola phone collaboration since the purchase.

Both of you are right of cause. I never had a LG phone before the Nexus, so I could not compare it to another LG phone. but I have had a couple of Motorola and they was awful. A mate had a Razr, I think that what it was, the one with the etched keyboard and after 12 months the keyboard fell off.

Have to wait and see I suppose, not that I will be getting one, this Nexus have to last
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both of you are right of cause. I never had a LG phone before the Nexus, so I could not compare it to another LG phone. but I have had a couple of Motorola and they was awful. A mate had a Razr, I think that what it was, the one with the etched keyboard and after 12 months the keyboard fell off.

Have to wait and see I suppose, not that I will be getting one, this Nexus have to last

If its a biggish leap over the N4 I may go for it. If not I will keep hold of the n4.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So based on a phone being faulty after a year, the build quality of Motorola phones is poor? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha all kinds of rumours coming out now!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a465107/motorola-x-expected-to-take-debut-bite-of-key-lime-pie.html

Dual core cpu and a 5 inch display also being touted. A 10 mp rear camera instead of 16. The next couple of months will be fun. Rumour mill in full swing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a biggish leap over the N4 I may go for it. If not I will keep hold of the n4.
    I will keep the Nexus 4 now for a few years, I don't like or this changing around and if it wa snot for the fact that the last phone I had was a pile of junk I would have kept it.

TBH, what more can a phone offer? It may go a bit faster, but to be honest the Nexus is pretty fast, you are not going to notice the difference. Ok storage space could be better and it may have a better Camera.
    but i said if I am going to spend nearly £300 on a phone then it have to last.

neo_wales wrote: »
    So based on a phone being faulty after a year, the build quality of Motorola phones is poor? :rolleyes:

My Motorola cracked on the case, and the other one I got stopped charging after a few months, ok it was only cheap and i did return it and got another one, but that is three Motorolas in my small circle.

Things could be different now that Google have taken them over and at least they will be better to use. the software in mine and the razr was not that good
    Forum Member
    I will keep the Nexus 4 now for a few years, I don't like or this changing around and if it wa snot for the fact that the last phone I had was a pile of junk I would have kept it.

TBH, what more can a phone offer? It may go a bit faster, but to be honest the Nexus is pretty fast, you are not going to notice the difference. Ok storage space could be better and it may have a better Camera.
    but i said if I am going to spend nearly £300 on a phone then it have to last.

My Motorola cracked on the case, and the other one I got stopped charging after a few months, ok it was only cheap and i did return it and got another one, but that is three Motorolas in my small circle.

Things could be different now that Google have taken them over and at least they will be better to use. the software in mine and the razr was not that good

I think there is an odd obsession with 'having the latest'. I'm still on my gnex. The n4 is a better phone but not enough to justify the upgrade IMHO. The x phone will probably come out about upgrade time so may be an option. I'm not convinced there us any need to get every new model that comes out. But that's not being derogatory at those who do.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok this is interesting! Motorola have something up their sleeve. But it's not an X-Phone!! Looks like an N4! hmmm.

Nice Design though, and decent spec. Looks like the Google influence is starting to come through. N4 front. HTC One, back :cool:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/13/unannounced-motorola-android-phone-not-x-phone/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is an odd obsession with 'having the latest'. I'm still on my gnex. The n4 is a better phone but not enough to justify the upgrade IMHO. The x phone will probably come out about upgrade time so may be an option. I'm not convinced there us any need to get every new model that comes out. But that's not being derogatory at those who do.....

i think you are correct, I know someone who changed their phone more times than I changed my socks. Ok, maybe not as I change my socks every day, but you get my point.
    It seems like every time I see him he have a new phone. Before I started bothering with smart phones, he used to show me his latest phone with the latest thing on it, i told him loads of time I was not interested, as long as I could make and receive calls, that was all I was interested in.

i think most people could cope with their older model for a few years, just think of all these phones being stuck in drawers or chucked in landfill, what a waste.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think you are correct, I know someone who changed their phone more times than I changed my socks. Ok, maybe not as I change my socks every day, but you get my point.
    It seems like every time I see him he have a new phone. Before I started bothering with smart phones, he used to show me his latest phone with the latest thing on it, i told him loads of time I was not interested, as long as I could make and receive calls, that was all I was interested in.

i think most people could cope with their older model for a few years, just think of all these phones being stuck in drawers or chucked in landfill, what a waste.

Burn the unbeliever. Only kidding. Still I agree with the sentiment about old phones, they were utter crap.

I can't see this being a Nexus class device. But who really knows? There does not appear to be any consistency in the roumours though. I agree with step666. though, a Tegra 4i would not be the best idea in a supposed high end device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crashing the Samsung S4 party somewhat here, some news on the X-Phone.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-x-phone-user-customizable-hardware-heavily-subsidized-price-171408/
    Ever wanted to be able to build your own smartphone, just as you’d be able to order custom desktops and laptops from certain manufacturers? A new report suggests that Google and Motorola could soon offer such a feature in its upcoming X Phone.

With just a few hours left until the Galaxy S4 gets official, this new X Phone report comes our way via Android and Me, which had access to some inside information regarding this upcoming Google Android handset.

Obviously, this is just a rumor at this time, and we can’t confirm anything just yet, but the X Phone is said to have some interesting features.

Google is apparently interested in creating a new brand capable to fight the Samsung Galaxy brand, the report says. The phone could be launched in June after the Google I/O event, and will be available to potential buyers via an online store, most likely the Google Play Store. Despite being a high-end device, the phone will reportedly have a heavily subsidized price to attract more buyers.

While hardware features have not been revealed, it’s said that the handset will come with an eight-core processor, with one of them dedicated to Motorola’s “new human language system.” What’s exciting to hear that users will have some freedom when it comes to building their X Phones. Certain customizable features may include the color of the device, RAM or internal storage. Once ordered, the phone will be shipped “in one week.”

As for software, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie wasn’t mentioned, but it was said that Google and Motorola would guarantee at least one full Android update after the phone is purchased. Motorola will apparently deliver the updates without waiting for mobile operators, although it will probably need to throw carriers a bone so they agree to such a concept.

Buyers will also be able to customize their handsets (“pre-load their own wallpapers, ringtones, apps, contacts, etc”) while waiting for them to be shipped, an HTC Get Started feature if you will and the X Phone could let users unlock the bootloader and the SIM, if they so desire.

Are you looking forward to buy such an X Phone?

Sounds good if true! And if it's again available in the play store and carrying a cheap price tag, i'm in!!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crashing the Samsung S4 party somewhat here, some news on the X-Phone.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-x-phone-user-customizable-hardware-heavily-subsidized-price-171408/

Sounds good if true! And if it's again available in the play store and carrying a cheap price tag, i'm in!!

It does sound good. I would like to see how they can keep the price down but allow you to 'build your own'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    It does sound good. I would like to see how they can keep the price down but allow you to 'build your own'.

I imagine it will be something like what dell does then. When I ordered my desktop system (XPS 8100) I was able to pick my configuration. So I had a choice of CPU, i5/i7, ram, hard disc size etc. I mean probably won't be as deep as that, but will be interesting if you can customize certain things. Price may be low for the less powerful configuration, moving up as you add higher end components perhaps? But what would the upper limit be? I mean if you maxed out everything, would the final price still be competitive?

Interesting anyway. Everyone would be waiting for the SD slot/No SD slot options haha.

I do like the idea though, a phone tailored to your requirements and budget would be the next logical step forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a468749/motorola-x-alleged-image-leaks-online-picture.html
    The latest report suggests that the Motorola X will be powered by a Snapdragon 800 processor with a 4.7-inch 720p screen, making it less powerful than leading Android handsets such as the HTC One.

A Gorilla Glass 3 display was also mentioned, contradicting previous reports that the device will feature a near-indestructible sapphire screen.

The Motorola X is believed to be the first collaboration with Motorola and its parent company Google following the search engine firm's acquisition of the phone maker last year.

It will likely be released under the Nexus umbrella, and has been tipped as the launch vehicle for the rumoured Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie.

While this is all currently speculation, the new Motorola phone and Key Lime Pie could feature at Google's I/O developer event in May.

Ok two points on this, how does having a Snapdragon 800 make it less powerful than a HTC One? And how will it fall under the Nexus umbrella, If Google is still doing another Nexus, or is this THE Nexus? many conflicting reports at the moment. Where does LG fit in I wonder?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ If it's going to be released under the "Nexus" brand, why does the render show the device running MOTOBLUR on top of Android...:confused:

I think these leaks are highly questionable, though as always there will most likely be some truth in them, I'm not inclined to believe that render tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a472747/motorola-x-phone-runs-into-delays.html

Rumour has it that google were not satisfied with the prototypes. Starting to wonder if Motorola can actually pull this off. They have yet to reach any real heights with their phones, even with google's backing is this project perhaps too far a step up?
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're talking 'days' of battery life, then this is going to be achieved with some sort of low-power standby circuit, meaning similar life to other models in use. There have been no commercial breakthroughs in battery life that could do it any other way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    If they're talking 'days' of battery life, then this is going to be achieved with some sort of low-power standby circuit, meaning similar life to other models in use. There have been no commercial breakthroughs in battery life that could do it any other way.

Bigger battery would be welcomed. I'm just not sure how well Motorola can put this together on the hardware front.