The Pro Cycling Thread

Comments

• dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    Tour of Oman - Race started today, but there are highlights on Eurosport 2 from tomorrow.

Volta ao Algarve - Live on Eurosport 2 from tomorrow, although the coverage seems to be quite brief.

Then Paris-Nice from the 4th of March.

Looking forward to that. To me, it always feels like the season is really getting underway when we get to Paris-Nice.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah! Jess Varnish and Victoria Pendleton set a new world record in the team sprint to win the first event in the London track world cup, crushing the red hot favourite Aussies. Pretty sensational.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Women's team pursuit squad follow it up with a Gold medal and another World Record!
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrilliing stuff: Pendleton took 0.4 seconds out of Mears on the second lap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blokes let the nation down with merely a bronze in their team sprint. Why oh why oh why.
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit harsh everyone going on about how Edgar isnt good enough , even though its true i feel a bit bad for him.

How come the Frenchman got to ride ? thought he was banned .... is he banned for te Olympics ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    TheFridge wrote: »
    Bit harsh everyone going on about how Edgar isnt good enough , even though its true i feel a bit bad for him.

How come the Frenchman got to ride ? thought he was banned .... is he banned for te Olympics ?

His ban was backdated to the time of the offence, so he just had his wins removed but didn't actually serve any time out. Kinda like Contador being banned for two years but being back for the Vuelta in August. Crazy if you ask me, but those are the rules.

And Baugé will be in London because it's only the British Olympic team that has the no-dopers-at-the-Olympics rule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOCOG are still to decide on how to allocate the increased access to Box Hill in July: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/17/olympic-mark-cavendish-road-race
  • dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stage win yesterday for Richie Porte at the Volta Ao Algarve , the team was awesome to set up the win
  • DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmq2 wrote: »
    Thrilliing stuff: Pendleton took 0.4 seconds out of Mears on the second lap.

Those two are having another huge battle - 1-1 come on Vicky!

Bah! :( unlucky V - those two are brilliant to watch.
    Forum Member
    Great stage win yesterday for Richie Porte at the Volta Ao Algarve , the team was awesome to set up the win

And Wiggins beat Tony Martin in the ITT today, which is a pretty huge win for him.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cav didn't have to wait long for his first European win then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9106923/Mark-Cavendish-triumphs-in-Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne-one-day-semi-classic-as-Belgian-road-season-kicks-off.html

Chris Sutton leads him out, he gets 2 bike lengths advantage before anyone realises, game over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Hutarovich seemed to even start to challenge looking at the YouTube clip. It sounds as if some contenders spent their energy trying to get into the breaks and avoiding a sprint finish. How does anyone race all day on a near empty stomach?!

Flecha also got onto the podium on Saturday. It's a shame ES had no coverage of both weekend races to open up the European season. Next weekend, they have last hour of the Strade Bianchi live before the start of the 'race to the sun'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    Only Hutarovich seemed to even start to challenge looking at the YouTube clip. It sounds as if some contenders spent their energy trying to get into the breaks and avoiding a sprint finish. How does anyone race all day on a near empty stomach?!

Flecha also got onto the podium on Saturday. It's a shame ES had no coverage of both weekend races to open up the European season. Next weekend, they have last hour of the Strade Bianchi live before the start of the 'race to the sun'.

It is a shame the season starts and we miss it. Least we get something on TV next weekend, never seen Strade Bianchi although I know about the race so any coverage of that is welcome
    Forum Member

Eh? Why would they have an empty stomach?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasnt cav said he spend the morning/day throwing up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    borodave wrote: »
    Hasnt cav said he spend the morning/day throwing up?

He was not well during the start of the stage and he said to Chris Sutton to go for the win but cav improved as the stage went on and the rest is history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's race live on the web before ES final hour coverage:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/StradeBianche/en/?lang=en&t=01
    https://twitter.com/#!/StradeBianche

Sky not in the race but first sight of Cadel Evans and last year's winner Philippe Gilbert on the same team. Weather is dry and sunny for the off-road sections (not sure about past few days).
    Forum Member
    saw the last 17k. Great win by Spartacus and feels like the season has really started now
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I flicked over at 2.30 and there was about 15K to go.........I don't know if it had come on air early or not

Typical Cancellara win.............got in a break on the last climb and just rode away from them

Paris.Nice starts today - it's on live now on ES2, but it's only a prologue type time trial so I'm giving today a miss (with all the footy to watch !) and start watching from tomorrow.........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I flicked over at 2.30 and there was about 15K to go.........I don't know if it had come on air early or not

Typical Cancellara win.............got in a break on the last climb and just rode away from them

Paris.Nice starts today - it's on live now on ES2, but it's only a prologue type time trial so I'm giving today a miss (with all the footy to watch !) and start watching from tomorrow.........

I will do the same not a big fan of the time trials
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF happened to Tony Martin?! :eek:
  • deadbeat herodeadbeat hero Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weather was pretty bad by the end of the race, so Martin and Wiggins got the worst of it. You could still argue that Martin put in the second best ride of the day. Wiggo just rode a stormer, and is looking like a real threat in these stage races now. Early days, but I can see him winning this.
    Forum Member
    think the day into Mende will be the decider. If he can climb well then he stands a real chance.

Once again both Schlecks showed they can't TT and don't seem to have done any work on it during the off season
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget Paris-Nice if you're at home today !

This always seems like the proper start of the season !

All those 'new' Jan/Feb races are ok for training runs but they're either on overnight (Aus) or are intrinsically a bit dull( the desert)

Proper season starts today !
This discussion has been closed.