The Grumpy Old Women Thread... (Part 18)

Comments

• snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,083
    Forum Member
    oh handy...vibes aplenty enroute xx
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    So sorry to hear that handy. I really hope there'll be some good news for you all soon. Vibes on their way.
  • SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Handy :( Really hope she recovers well... vibing hard for you here xxxxxx
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    Handy, I'm sending up positive vibes through the earth's core to get there quicker for your sis-in-law and all the rest of the family too! I think you're right that texting jokes to your bro is a good thing - some semblance of normality really helps when the going is tough! Being treated with kid gloves gets quite wearing. Thoughts and prayers are with you xx

Here life plods along fairly aimlessly. Strange thing that in the few months that we've been in this house we've got to know more of the local folk than I did in all the years at the other house. I think it's because dog-walking time has moved to standard aussie dog walking time so we bump into the dog-walkers and it's also after the day cools down a bit so we bump into the fitness freaks who walk fast for fun (how bizarre!) and also the frequent car washers (again how bizarre!).

It's a beautiful morning here, just doing some pottering round the house and then we're off for a drive out of town to a local shopping centre which hold community markets twice a month! No money to spend but we see lots of pretty and/or interesting things!

Hope everyone has a good weekend and once again special thoughts are with handy and co :)
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Collette wrote: »
    Oh Handy how awful - I think the texting jokes is a fine plan right now :)

Well, I live 70 miles away and even if it was practical for me to go up there it wouldn't be of any use when I got there. So I'm cheering them on from the sidelines, as it were - and at least with a text they can choose when to pick it up.

Thanks for all the lovely vibes, lovely ladies. I'm sure they're helping - GOW vibes are powerful things.
    I wouldn't have been so forward as to ask, but she's only 40 and has 4 kids who range from 14 to 5 years old - we need her around for a few years yet!

The good news from this evening is that we have grounds for cautious optimism - she's awake (though lightly sedated) and is apparently appreciating the jokes, though from what I remember of sedatives you'd laugh at anything... :D

The next few days are still critical but things look hopeful. We're very lucky that she was actually in the hospital when she collapsed. :)

Going to have a very late tea now! :eek:
  • looney lauralooney laura Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Prayers and Vibes being send to you and yours Handy LOL & BW
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Wow, it's like a thread reunion party on here!

Plum, now you're getting to know the neighbours (cue theme tune) that has to be a good thing - u haz a network.

I'm worried that Sad is reduced to drinking Lush products, if only because of the bubbly burps.
    Forum Member
    Hi LL. :)

I've got those weekend-coming-to-an-end blues. :( Might do some bubbly burps later.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,083
    Forum Member
    I hab got a cowd
  • AmicaAmica Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sending vibes Handy - visited someone in ITU a couple of times myself over the last month and they are fab people who can do miracles - got all things crossed ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Forum Member
    Thinking of you and yours handy.

Here, I can't believe it's only Monday afternoon - feels like much later in the week, probably due to being up extra early, which in turn was due to having a mountain of things to get through before I'm away next week. But my To Do list seems to be growing! Panic!!!
  • SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still vibing here too ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a funny old day. Got the result we expected for Little Saddette, so really not sure how to feel about that :D but I do know I am exceedingly knackered having done something like 200 miles today and being on the road since 8.30am.... :yawn: :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks you, lovely ladies!

So far those vibes is still working - she's doing as well as someone in her position can do.
    No news is good news for the moment :)

Hope everyone got enough bubbles in them to get them braced for the week ahead!

(((((((((((((((((fabby GOWs)))))))))))))))))))))))
    Forum Member
    That's great handy that things are still moving along in a generally positive direction. I'm keeping on sending the vibes through the earths core!

Good to see you LL - hope things are improving for you too!

:D @ KJ and the neighbours theme tune - I haven't watched that since I've been here, well maybe once but that doesn't count :p It is funny that I feel more settled in the community in the last 4 months than I did the whole of the previous 5 years. It makes a huge difference having moved to a nice neighbourhood.

I'm feeling vaguely naughty and yet pleased with myself as I've just been frivolous and frittered away some money on 3 books for myself. They're real ones so I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks but it's good to have something to look forward to :D They should keep me out of mischief for a while anyway! ;)
  • looney lauralooney laura Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Prayers and Good Vibes still coming from this end also and to all GOW's who need them
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    ImaPlum wrote: »
    I'm feeling vaguely naughty and yet pleased with myself as I've just been frivolous and frittered away some money on 3 books for myself. They're real ones so I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks but it's good to have something to look forward to :D They should keep me out of mischief for a while anyway! ;)

You can buy books very cheaply on Amazon Marketplace.
    Forum Member
    Sadperson wrote: »
    Push the boat out and do both :D I am ;)

Up Helly Aa, it is then.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Helly_Aa
    Forum Member
    handymelon wrote: »
    Thanks you, lovely ladies!

So far those vibes is still working - she's doing as well as someone in her position can do.
    No news is good news for the moment :)

Hope everyone got enough bubbles in them to get them braced for the week ahead!

(((((((((((((((((fabby GOWs)))))))))))))))))))))))

I'm sending you and your SIL good vibes as well. From what you've posted, things are looking positive and I hope that continues.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    You can buy books very cheaply on Amazon Marketplace.

Thanks for that - I'll have another look at their prices, what wins me over to The Book depository is that it's free postage worldwide, so more often than not although their prices may be higher than amazon the postage factor wins hands down. I'll check them out and do a comparison on the books I bought and see how it works out as to be honest I've not checked on amazon for a while! It doesn't pay to be complacent - amazon actually own book depository now as well if memory serves me right - which it possibly doesn't as I'm old and feeble-minded :o:D
    Forum Member
    ImaPlum wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I'll have another look at their prices, what wins me over to The Book depository is that it's free postage worldwide, so more often than not although their prices may be higher than amazon the postage factor wins hands down. I'll check them out and do a comparison on the books I bought and see how it works out as to be honest I've not checked on amazon for a while! It doesn't pay to be complacent - amazon actually own book depository now as well if memory serves me right - which it possibly doesn't as I'm old and feeble-minded :o:D

Yes, best to check around. For me, Amazon are very reliable. Even if you buy from Amazon Marketplace and things don't work out (hasn't happened to me yet), you've always got Amazon to fall back on, if things go wrong. Also, for me, one of Amazon's direct distribution centres is just up the road, so even with super saver delivery (i.e. buying directly from Amazon), I usually get my stuff within a couple of working days.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Yes, best to check around. For me, Amazon are very reliable. Even if you buy from Amazon Marketplace and things don't work out (hasn't happened to me yet), you've always got Amazon to fall back on, if things go wrong. Also, for me, one of Amazon's direct distribution centres is just up the road, so even with super saver delivery (i.e. buying directly from Amazon), I usually get my stuff within a couple of working days.

When I first came over here, it used to take a week for books to arrive but now service has gradually got worse and it generally takes about 2 weeks, sometimes longer. Other than the general impulse of "i've seen it, I've bought it, I want it NOW!" it doesn't generally matter as I'm rarely without something that I can read til my books eventually turn up.
    Forum Member
    Morning!

I wish I could function on next to no sleep (a la Thatcher :eek: ) but after two nights of very little I feel yucky and all I want to do is eat toast.
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    Morning!

I wish I could function on next to no sleep (a la Thatcher :eek: ) but after two nights of very little I feel yucky and all I want to do is eat toast.

Morning batgirl. Do you like Marmite, as that goes very well on toast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laura and jra, thanks for your vibes and wishes :)
    (I typed "vices" just then and I'm not sure laura has any of those so it's a good job I spotted it! :D )
    S-i-l has the mother of all headaches (unsurprisingly) but otherwise seems to be doing well still.

batty, you have my sympathies. Hope your body resets itself soon.

Don't the clocks go back this weekend? I could do with an extra hour, and some light in the mornings!

Dunno about the rest of you (not Plum, cos she's elsewhere) but this manky damp foggy weather does nothing for me. I don't mind cold and sunny, but I really dislike misty and grey. Yeuch.
    Forum Member
    handymelon wrote: »

Dunno about the rest of you (not Plum, cos she's elsewhere) but this manky damp foggy weather does nothing for me. I don't mind cold and sunny, but I really dislike misty and grey. Yeuch.

Excuse me *said/typed in outraged tones* I'll have you know that we had a grey drizzly wet miserable day here today and it was verging on almost being slightly chilly ... but with a large dose of warm - but it was grey and horrible and it looked misty but that was just low cloud on the mountain. So knickers to you lady! :p:D

We don't do the clocks back and forward thing in Queensland, some of the other states do and obviously I have to take note of the changes in the UK, so I end up very confused and not knowing what time it is anywhere. :D