Westminster School "Auctioning off Internships"

jriojrio Posts: 3,135
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So now you have to pay to work for free...if you're lucky! :p

From the Times:

"One of Britain’s leading independent schools has been criticised for auctioning off internships to parents who are willing to pay hundreds of pounds for their children to work in top banks, City offices and the creative industries.
An internship at Coutts, work experience at a newspaper and a “mini-pupillage” with a criminal barrister are all available to the highest bidder in an auction raising money for Westminster School. Some of the placements are already subject to bids of up to £700, with two weeks remaining."

Nick Clegg has declined to criticise his old school.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    they`re that bad?
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Internships for kids are just a week or so, aren't they? Fair enough if a rich school wants to sell them to rich parents for funds. Same as front row tickets at gigs get reserved for VIPs. The other students won't exactly end up on the till in WH Smith.
  • DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Internships for kids are just a week or so, aren't they? .

No...no they're not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DSCarter wrote: »
    No...no they're not.

How long do the schoolkid versions last, then, in your experience? The ones I know of in professional services firms are a five-day taster and we've offered some week-long ones ourselves on occasion.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    How long do the schoolkid versions last, then, in your experience? The ones I know of in professional services firms are a five-day taster and we've offered some week-long ones ourselves on occasion.

Some are 2 weeks, aren't they?
  • DSCarterDSCarter Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I mis-read the OP....I thought this was about graduate internships.

Please accept my apologies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Some are 2 weeks, aren't they?

I've only heard of the five-day versions, personally. You could well be right.
    DSCarter wrote: »
    I mis-read the OP....I thought this was about graduate internships.

Please accept my apologies.

No problem at all. Easily done.
  • cymraegcymraeg Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    This is just a fundraising auction for which some parents have donated a few days of 'work experience' - more visiting the office and having a look around really as it's for such a short time. Then a journalist has got hold of it and started stirring.