Kylie singles that never were?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What tracks do you think would have been great singles?

For me

Aphrodite
Closer
Speakerphone
Secret (Take You Home)
Fever

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like a drug
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a drug

That would have probably been my sixth option.

X had so many tunes tho.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Obsession
    Sweet Music
    Promises
    Aphrodite
    Fragile
    Love Affair

I've only got Fever and Body Language and a couple of other random songs from other albums and some random singles.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a Drug.

And why oh why was In My Arms not the lead single from X? It would have all been very different if it had been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    And why oh why was In My Arms not the lead single from X? It would have all been very different if it had been.

I agree a million x better than 2 Hearts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    There's so many I can't possibly list them all but I'll pick a top 3

1. Fever
    2. Koocachoo
    3. Time Will Pass You By
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disco Down
    Secret (Take You Home)
    No More Rain
    Aphrodite
    Too Much
    Mighty Rivers
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,623
    Forum Member
    Your Disco Needs You should've been released instead of Please Stay - at least in the UK.

I'm sure it would've been a much bigger hit had it been given a proper UK release as it seemed to be really popular with the fans at the time.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Disco Needs You would have been an easy #1 for her in the uk....I don't know what her label were thinking by not releasing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to choose but to pick 3 off the top of my head

Dreams
    Speakerphone (in particular the Steve Anderson/X Tour Remix)
    Aphrodite
    Feels So Good (as Kiss Me Once appears to have gone quiet singles wise)
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Stars
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I agree a million x better than 2 Hearts

I must be one of the few fans who doesn't particularly care for 'In My Arms'. It's just a bit repetitive in my opinion. X is one of her best albums, but aside form 2 Hearts, had pretty bad singles. Like a Drug, 2 Hearts, Stars and Speakerphone for me :D

Aphrodite was screaming to be a single. Much better than the rather bland 'Better Than Today', which I generally forget even happened because it was that boring.

Loving Days from Body Language would have made a pretty strong single around Christmas time I think. Beautiful song. One of her best.

Pretty much every song from Light Years was single worthy. Fantastic pop album!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are just so so many for me

Where Is The Feeling (album)
    Where Has The Love Gone
    Automatic Love
    Nothing Can Stop Us
    Cowboy Style
    Drunk Limbo
    I don't Need Anyone
    Your Disco Needs You
    Butterfly
    Fever
    Rendezvous At Sunset
    Dancefloor
    Love Affair
    Promises
    Secret (I Take You Home)
    Rippin Up The Disco
    Cherry Bomb
    Like A Drug
    Speakerphone
    Sensitized
    Aphrodite
    Can't Beat The Feeling
    Sexercise

All potential singles for me.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not familiar with many of her album tracks except Fever but I think that would've made a great single.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Your Disco Needs You would have been an easy #1 for her in the uk....I don't know what her label were thinking by not releasing it.

They thought it was too camp and opted for 'Please Stay' instead to avoid Kylie being further stereotyped.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look My Way
    Enjoy Yourself
    We Know The Meaning Of Love
    Too Far
    Dreams
    Disco Down
    More More More
    Fever
    Love Affair
    Secret (Take You Home)
    Like A Drug
    Cherry Bomb
    White Diamond
    Cupid Boy
    Sparks
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    They thought it was too camp and opted for 'Please Stay' instead to avoid Kylie being further stereotyped.

To be honest I don't think it would have been the big hit that people expect it to have been. It was released in a few countries and didn't exactly set the charts alight. Fan favourite for sure, but nothing more IMO. It would have been a 4th single after all. Although I suppose we'll never know now! :D I does get played on Radio 2 semi-freqently though despite not being a single. So it stil get's some of the attention it deserves!

I forgot to mention Dangerous Games from KM94. Would have been a brilliant follow up to Confide in Me!
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Disco Needs You &
    Time Will Pass You By
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's No Secret.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Made In Heaven had been released as a stand-alone, non-album single, instead of being 'given away' on the B-side of Je Ne Sais Pas Pourqoi, I think it would have been a guaranteed #1. It seems so much more polished and with thought put into it than some of her other more obviously 'production line' SAW stuff, and I genuinely think it had that crossover potential.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    That would have probably been my sixth option.

X had so many tunes tho.

I think the singles let down X. I don't think 2 hearts or Wow really represented what the album was. In my arms and The One did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's No Secret.

That was a single (not a UK one but still a single)

I do wish it'd been a UK release though as I adore it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the singles let down X. I don't think 2 hearts or Wow really represented what the album was. In my arms and The One did.

Definetly.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    To be honest I think any song from her first three albums would have gone top 10 even the dire My Secret Heart and Tell Tale Signs. Her albums could have been milked a little more than what they actually were, although she had a new album out every year for the first four years which limited the singles.

Kylie

Turn It Into Love - A huge hit in Japan that would've been just as big around the rest of the world had it been released.

Enjoy Yourself

Enjoy Yourself - A great dance/pop song that is very Rhythm of Love-esque. I'm pretty sure Kylie wanted it as the second single, but Pete Waterman chose WCAT instead. If it had been released as the last single from the album, it would have been a great pre-lude to Better the Devil You Know.

Rhythm of Love

Things Can Only Get Better - Truly one of her best unreleased singles with a little guitar solo thrown in. A lost Kylie classic.

Let's Get to It

Too Much of a Good Thing - I know a lot of fans complain that you can't really hear Kylie's vocals very much, but it's still a cool song.

I still can't believe Closer was hidden away as a b-side, I would have included it on the album AND released as a single.

Kylie Minogue

Surrender - A song that really shows off Kylie's vocals.
    Where Has the Love Gone - A stomper of a song, but it would've needed serious editing down. An edited single version of the Roach Motel Mix would've been cool.

Impossible Princess

I think I remember reading that Kylie wanted Too Far as the first single, but the label went with Some Kind of Bliss instead because it was in keeping with the then-popular indie Britpop sound. I have no problems with Bliss as the lead single, it's one of my all-time favorite Kylie songs.

Limbo - A brilliant dance song with a darker edge than what Kylie is known for.
    Jump - A gorgeous song with a trip hop vibe that would have worked well considering the genre was popular at the time.

Light Years

Light Years - Much, much better than Please Stay. Kylie delved back into disco music years before others did the same.

Fever

The Fever era was pretty much perfect, but I do think they could have milked the album for one more single.

Fragile - A slower song would have ended the Fever era in a nice way after four uptempo singles.

Body Language

They could have easily squeezed in a fourth single after Chocolate.

Loving Days - Beautiful song that would have suited the winter months perfectly.

X

The handling of this album frustrates me because a) some of the best songs on the album were not singles, and b) great songs like Cherry Bomb, Ripping Up the Disco and Carried Away were relegated to b-sides and bonus tracks instead of being included on the actual album. I would have scrapped 2 Hearts as the lead single while also scrapping Wow as the second single, I know that song did well on the charts, but it was too poppy and without the edge that many of the other songs on the album have.

Stars - I don't understand why this song doesn't get more love from fans and non-fans, it's a great and uplifting pop song.
    Speakerphone - A very cool song.
    Like a Drug - A song that seems to get a lot of love from non-fans.

Aphrodite

Aphrodite - I would have released this instead of Better Than Today.

Kiss Me Once

Million Miles - This should've been a far better lead single.
    Sleeping With the Enemy - Far too good to be a bonus track.
    If Only - A beautiful pop song.

The other thing I would've done is put Made for Glass on Ultimate Kylie instead of Giving You Up, it's a far stronger song that would have also made a better single.
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skirt and Sexercize would have both been hits, I think Sexercize could have even got to number one.