Duck Pond?

SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
Forum Member
✭✭
It was as if the doctor randomly mentioned it to Amy in ep 1. The duck pond without ducks, and he asked why call it a duck pond when there's no ducks in it.

Now in ep 5, he mentioned duck pond and no ducks briefly.

Any theory how this will pan out?

Anyone? I am going mad just thinking about it!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    It was as if the doctor randomly mentioned it to Amy in ep 1. The duck pond without ducks, and he asked why call it a duck pond when there's no ducks in it.

I've raised this before, but it's worth repeating, because I think it shows genius in the field of lateral thinking, if I say so myself... yes, you can all congratulate me later when I'm proven right... ahem...

But...

I think it's a Sally Sparrow-type clue.

"Duck, Pond!"
    Amy ducks.
    The bad death-type thing that was aimed at her head sails harmlessly over it.

Hey, I don't hear anyone else coming up with anything better! :p
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Ducks went through the crack in time. I have no wonder why they did and other animals didn't. Maybe other animals did but just not mentioned. :p
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magpie2467 wrote: »
    I've raised this before, but it's worth repeating, because I think it shows genius in the field of lateral thinking, if I say so myself... yes, you can all congratulate me later when I'm proven right... ahem...

But...

I think it's a Sally Sparrow-type clue.

"Duck, Pond!"
    Amy ducks.
    The bad death-type thing that was aimed at her head sails harmlessly over it.

Hey, I don't hear anyone else coming up with anything better! :p

Okay, that's a start! :D

Thank you.

Any more theory??? From anyone else?
  • ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Maybe they went with the bee's but didn't return!
    Forum Member
    Okay, that's a start! :D

Thank you.

Any more theory??? From anyone else?

There are other theories? Are you saying mine wasn't perfect? :mad::(:cry:
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I was so happy that this turned out to be an actual clue, I said from the beginning that it was important but nope, nobody listened...

To be honest I kind of cheated. I was looking at the place where Leadworth was filmed and noticed the duck pond wasn't there in real life, so they must have purposely built it, so it must be important...

But still, go me! :D
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I was so happy that this turned out to be an actual clue, I said from the beginning that it was important but nope, nobody listened...

To be honest I kind of cheated. I was looking at the place where Leadworth was filmed and noticed the duck pond wasn't there in real life, so they must have purposely built it, so it must be important...

But still, go me! :D

I remember it well... zooming in was almost Doctor-esque!:D
  • Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because a duck pond without ducks is simply a pond. A clue to the fact that the crack is all about Amy?

Perhaps that a little too simplistic.
    Forum Member
    I remember it well... zooming in was almost Doctor-esque!:D

Yes, someone remembers my"silly thread and its bizarre and now correct theory! :D

And yes, it was very Doctor-ish... I definitely did NOT attempt to recreate that scene...:o
  • cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    Because a duck pond without ducks is simply a pond. A clue to the fact that the crack is all about Amy?

Perhaps that a little too simplistic.

I think you are bang on the money. :)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extra mention does suggest it's important. Ditto the citation of the Cyberman from The Next Doctor.
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    The extra mention does suggest it's important. Ditto the citation of the Cyberman from The Next Doctor.

Unlike the duck pond moment though, that definitely wasn't pre-planned... I suspect that's Moffat's fanboy attempt to explain the insanity that is the human race being none the wiser about a massive robot pretty much destroying London in the 1800s. :confused:
    Forum Member
    The...citation of the Cyberman from The Next Doctor.

The mention was of the Cyberking, a huge great massive Cyberman-shaped thingy rampaging through London, and nobody remembered it.

That's 'cos it was sh!t, and most 19th century Londoners quickly purged it from their memories by whatever means necessary... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I can understand that time unravelling would cause people to forget things or rather make them as if they hadn't happened. But not sure why it would cause the ducks to leave their pond. I did wonder if it was writing a species out of existence, but then no one would remember them. Perhaps ducks are a lot more sophisticated than we think at detecting anomalies in time and so left the vacinity of the cause of the crack - Amy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mention was of the Cyberking, a huge great massive Cyberman-shaped thingy rampaging through London, and nobody remembered it.

That's 'cos it was sh!t, and most 19th century Londoners quickly purged it from their memories by whatever means necessary... :D

Well, nevertheless I was reminded of the end of Gridlock when we got what seemed like a gratuitous mention of the Daleks, only for them to suddenly be the very thing appearing next week...
    Forum Member
    Well, nevertheless I was reminded of the end of Gridlock when we got what seemed like a gratuitous mention of the Daleks, only for them to suddenly be the very thing appearing next week...

True... what chance someone at the end of next week's episode mentioning the Zygon-Ice Warrior problem?:D
    Forum Member
    Benjolex wrote: »
    I can understand that time unravelling would cause people to forget things or rather make them as if they hadn't happened. But not sure why it would cause the ducks to leave their pond. I did wonder if it was writing a species out of existence, but then no one would remember them.

That's kind of been explained tonight, Amy's a time traveller so she can see things differently like the Doctor - she knows what should be there even if it never ends up existing. I know she wasn't a time traveller at the duck pond point, but I dunno, wibbly wobbly timey wimey, she was a time traveller in the end.
    Perhaps ducks are a lot more sophisticated than we think at detecting anomalies in time

Theory of The Year :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing it's just the unfortunate ducks from that particular pond that got erased from time? Poor little buggers. If all of the ducks had been erased from history, Amy wouldn't have known what the Doctor meant by a duck pond.

I like to think the erased stuff has been deposited into some kind of gigantic neverwhere purgatory. The Stolen Earth Daleks, a huge ridiculous CGI robot, and a bunch of waddling ducks. All just twiddling their thumbs. Well, if the daleks and ducks had thumbs.:o

(hopefully they've been joined by The Slitheen, that weird Scottish alien from The Two Doctors, Jenny, Marta Jones's mother, and the Red Kangs) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is obvious that the Doctor is going to face his biggest battle yet, he is going to go to war against this creature here, http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/rubberduckzilla-204172.jpg, yes rubberduckzilla!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littleotik wrote: »
    (hopefully they've been joined by The Slitheen, that weird Scottish alien from The Two Doctors, Jenny, Marta Jones's mother, and the Red Kangs) :)

You've gone crazy, you little stump of wood. Red kangs are best! Red kangs, red kangs, red kangs are best!
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers, folks!

Many theories to PONDer tonight. Now I can finally sleep on it!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    You've gone crazy, you little stump of wood. Red kangs are best! Red kangs, red kangs, red kangs are best!

Haha. I just about got the message during the episode, not sure how, I mean, it was a very subtle message... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's Moffatt's version of the Dolphins leaving earth in Hitchhikers...

"so long and thanks for all the bread!" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The crack has caused ducks to cease to exist I guess.

It'll probably be the 'joke' relevation of things the crack has done.

Sort of like the bees disappearing because they're aliens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Perhaps ducks are a lot more sophisticated than we think at detecting anomalies in time and so left the vacinity of the cause of the crack - Amy.

So long, and thanks for all the bread?

Where was the mention of the duck pond? I must have missed it