Full Stops after a bullet point?

OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

I'm currently writing out my CV and under my job history i've listed some of the skills/tasks etc that i've done within that job. However, i'm not sure whether you're supposed to end a bullet point with a full stop or not? I've seen mixed answers to this so i'm asking for your opinions.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Hey,

I'm currently writing out my CV and under my job history i've listed some of the skills/tasks etc that i've done within that job. However, i'm not sure whether you're supposed to end a bullet point with a full stop or not? I've seen mixed answers to this so i'm asking for your opinions.

This seems to explain it well and is from the Oxford Dictionaries website so fairly reliable:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/punctuationbullets/bullet-points
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would see what looks nicer and go with that.

Employers are not going to be that picky :)
  • gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is more about what you say. But for bullet points keep it brief and to the point. That is not supposed to be a pun but if it helps you remember so much the better. I would end with a full stop. Using colons to introduce bullet points is probably unnecessary. I think the article is generally correct but you should follow it in "spirit" rather than have to be obeyed. In other words take on board what it says but make sure what you say sounds and looks good,
    e.g.:
    1. Does it sound good.
    2. Is it easy to read.
    3. Does it look good.
    4. And finally is the punctuation correct.

You should notice that the first paragraph says essentially the same as the bullet points -- which is easier to read?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only use a full point after a bullet if it is a complete sentence. But the last bullet in a list is always followed by a full stop.

For example:

My skills include:
    * Word
    * Excel
    * PowerPoint.

Or

My skills include:
    * I have worked extensively with Microsoft Word.
    * I can type at 40 words per minute.
    * I can do shorthand at 100 words per minute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You only use a full point after a bullet if it is a complete sentence. But the last bullet in a list is always followed by a full stop.

For example:

My skills include:
    * Word
    * Excel
    * PowerPoint.

Or

My skills include:

This.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that the correct use would be a comma with a full stop only at the end of the last item, since the list is in effect a whole sentence.

i.e.
    * I went outside,
    * I fed the dog,
    * I Murdered my neighbour.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For example:

My skills include:
    * Word
    * Excel
    * PowerPoint.

Or

My skills include:

In the second example, I personally wouldn't use then for sentences that short, and the top example, where only the last bp has a full stop? No, no, no. It looks awful, inconsistent and sloppy.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I would have thought that the correct use would be a comma with a full stop only at the end of the last item, since the list is in effect a whole sentence.

i.e.
    * I went outside,
    * I fed the dog,
    * I Murdered my neighbour.

I wouldn't do this, bullet points are not a normal paragraph. I would go with the suggestion that if each item is one or two words then no full stop. if its a sentence then yes.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkec wrote: »
    1. Does it sound good.
    2. Is it easy to read.
    3. Does it look good.
    4. And finally is the punctuation correct.

1. Do you normally end a question with a full stop.
    2. Perhaps a question mark is better?
    3. Seriously, though, I don't think anyone would regard it as correct to use full stops in a list of bullet points
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the second example, I personally wouldn't use then for sentences that short, and the top example, where only the last bp has a full stop? No, no, no. It looks awful, inconsistent and sloppy.

The OP asked what was correct, not what was aesthetically pleasing.
  • daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My English teacher taught me if the bullet point had a verb, use a full stop - if not, don't. Though she did mention that the final bullet point had to to have a full stop.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with Smokeychan1; having a full stop at the end of the last bullet looks messy. It isn't a question of what's correct, since there are plainly differing opinions on it; it's a question of style.

I've always gone by the same rules as that outlined in WiltshireWoman's link. As it says even there, "there are no fixed rules". But those guidelines provide for the most professional presentation, in my opinion. They're also used by government departments in their communication and style guidance.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most important thing is to be consistent. Either use it on all or on none.

I grappled with this a lot in my last job. I came to the conclusion of not using them. It looked nicer without. But if I had whole paragraphs on a bullet, I used them to separate the sentences within a paragraph but no full stop at the end of each bullet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    I agree with Smokeychan1; having a full stop at the end of the last bullet looks messy. It isn't a question of what's correct, since there are plainly differing opinions on it; it's a question of style.

I've always gone by the same rules as that outlined in WiltshireWoman's link. As it says even there, "there are no fixed rules". But those guidelines provide for the most professional presentation, in my opinion. They're also used by government departments in their communication and style guidance.

There are fixed rules. If you choose not to follow them that is fine. But the OP asked the question and I responded.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are fixed rules. If you choose not to follow them that is fine. But the OP asked the question and I responded.

Lol, okey dokey. Where's this rulebook, then?
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The OP says they had received varying answers before posting; s/he wanted our opinions. Obviously, the fact that they already received conflicting answers is proof enough (for me) that hard and fast rules don't apply, as previously mentioned. But I will add that, if bullet pointing isn't done in an aesthetically pleasing way, then it rather defeats the purpose of the exercise.

I wasn't having a go at you personally, just sharing my opinion as asked for.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For example:

My skills include:
    * Word
    * Excel
    * PowerPoint.

Or

My skills include:

But the second version isn't gramatically correct. The problem is 'My skills include: ....I have worked extensively with....'

It could be reworded -
    My skills include: working extensively with Microsoft Word etc.

I much prefer the first version.

Sorry if I'vve gone off topic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, I always thought it was:

* the first line;
    * second; and
    * last.

You learn something new every day :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the second version isn't gramatically correct. The problem is 'My skills include: ....I have worked extensively with....'

It could be reworded -
    My skills include: working extensively with Microsoft Word etc.

I much prefer the first version.

Sorry if I'vve gone off topic!

Agreed. The bullet points should each be a continuation of the sentence that was started at the top. You can get round it though, by re-wording the opening sentence. Something like: "My skills include the following:" Then each bullet point will form a complete sentence.
    misschippy wrote: »
    Hmmm, I always thought it was:

* the first line;
    * second; and
    * last.

You learn something new every day :)

Again, I agree. I think it really should read as follows:

My skills include:
    - working extensively with Microsoft Word;
    - typing at 40 words per minute; and
    - taking shorthand at 100 words per minute.

However, I think the most important thing is consistency. If you prefer to use a full stop after the bullet points, do it after all of them. If you want to omit them, don't use them at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People will be scanning the CV and hence you just want it too look 'right'.

In the examples above I would not put the full stop after 'Powerpoint' as it looks out of place.

I would not use semi-colons or 'and's just full stops after full sentences (I do use a lot of semi-colons but avoid in bullet points in CVs...other places I do.

Although not totally correct it looks better and as I am a bit of a grammar Nazi I know it's not totally correct but CVs have a different grammar anyway which isn't always correct English.

Also, if it's going to HR people they'll probably not know the difference anyway...and anyone who does will not mind...and if they do...I would not want to work with them!
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a editorial job, and the 'rule' we all have to use is;
    *If the whole line of text makes a sentence that can stand alone, it should start with a capital letter and finish with a full stop.
    *If the bullets are for a list that would not be stand alone sentences, then start with a lower case, and no full stop.

So when I go shopping tomorrow, I have on my list;
    *bananas
    *oranges
    *cleaning equipment

Edit: I broke my own rule!
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tend to use full stops in conjunction with bullet points, and certainly never in presentations.

The bullet point format is intended to strip away superfluous content, so there should be no need to add in redundant punctuation.