How Do People Know When They Are Going To Die?

I'm sure we've all heard the stories about someone saying good bye and then they die, I heard on the news today about 2 people out on a boat drunk, One had called a friend and said something like "Tell my mum I love her" she was found dead at the bottom of a lake the next day.

How do people know:confused:

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it tells you on that death clock website. simple really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A distinct shortage of breath is a good indicator....
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the nurse says "Doctor Shipman will see you now"
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lack of oxygen to the brain would give me a pretty good idea:D
  • littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my nursing days, the elderly would call out to 'mother' or 'father' or whoever was close to them and had already passed on, and had appeared in front of them.

I also remember the smell of iminent death on other occasions. It's difficult to describe it in words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    littlefro wrote: »
    In my nursing days, the elderly would call out to 'mother' or 'father' or whoever was close to them and had already passed on, and had appeared in front of them.

I also remember the smell of iminent death on other occasions. It's difficult to describe it in words.

Yeah my Mum said that also, she's a Nurse, all very odd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The undertaker measuring you for the coffin would be a strong hint for me.:)
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People close to death talk about "going home" when they haven't got long. Another sign is when they see a light of some sort in the room that the rest of us can't see. And another is when, if they're in a private room by themselves, when the nurse or whoever returns they say that some long-dead relative has come to see them.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _the_don wrote: »
    I'm sure we've all heard the stories about someone saying good bye and then they die, I heard on the news today about 2 people out on a boat drunk, One had called a friend and said something like "Tell my mum I love her" she was found dead at the bottom of a lake the next day.

We never hear the story where a woman phones a friend, says "Tell my mum I love her", and then drops in on her mum for tea the next day, do we?.
  • Weeping DreamsWeeping Dreams Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone about to throw themselves into a lake probably knows there's a fair chance they'll die, especially if they're drunk and can't swim.:)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when your in an airplane that is plummiting towards the ground at 1000 miles per hour you'll hazard a guess.
  • mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

omg i know that smell only too well with being a psychic medium, and its horrible.
    the only way i can explain it is an icey cold smell, and it gets right at the back of your throat.

*shudders* :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My great Nan saw her late husband at the end of her bed, just before she died from cancer.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your right about that.
    I was visiting my mother (85yrs old) who was in hospital having had a hip replacement, she said to me " dads just been " (my dad had been dead 25yrs) .
    I passed it off as the anesthetic wearing off and she had been dreaming.
    The following morning my mother passed away. :cry:

Looking back, whether she meant her dad or mine I don't know.

edit:
    Another thing I have heard is some people will say " I don't feel to well, I'm going up for a lie down" next thing they're dead on the bed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

don't most drunk people wander about telling people they love them? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she was found dead at the bottom of a lake the next day.

I was under the impression dead bodies floated unless they were weighed down
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They sink first, then they float because of the decomposition process - gases in the gut. But I don't know the time frame for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Todd wrote: »

My date with the grim reaper is:
    Saturday June 16th 2015
    223,637,165 seconds away
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ooo...! Weird.

I remember when my Nan died, she had 'seen' her late husband shortly before. :cry:

As for the smell of death, when my other nan died, my aunt's dog refused to go into her room that day she died (even before she had died). The dog refused to go into the room even a couple of days later. And the one time she did go into the room, she stared at where my Nan's bed had been, and growled....! She wasn't a dog that growled or barked often either. It was very odd indeed. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Todd wrote: »

There's an application on Facebook. I did it and apparently I am going to die in 2012! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the article your taking about and I think the girl said it taking the piss as her friend didn't want her to go out on the boat, it was just an accident and she didn't realise she was actually going to die
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jigsawjake wrote: »
    don't most drunk people wander about telling people they love them? :confused:

What she actually said was If I die tell my mum I love her, she was mildly intoxicated and was joking to her friend because she didn't want her to go out in the canoe thing.
    They sink first, then they float because of the decomposition process - gases in the gut. But I don't know the time frame for that.

Yep stressmonkey is right, I think its about a week or something can't really remember, but I just know when a friend went missing near the sea the search and rescue checked in the first fews days then waited a while and then checked again after a certain period which I think was like a week or something because of the gases releasing or something
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Same reason you know you're *not* going to die. If you've got a choice, it's about giving up or not giving up.
  • softfuzzsoftfuzz Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    We never hear the story where a woman phones a friend, says "Tell my mum I love her", and then drops in on her mum for tea the next day, do we?.

Have you got a tail to tell us?:D
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an application on Facebook. I did it and apparently I am going to die in 2012! :eek:

We're ALL going to die in 2012 - the ancient mayans predicted it ! December 21st apparently - so no worries about Xmas presents that year! :D