Apple will not be launching a bigger screen iPhone any time soon says Tim Cook

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Tim Cook conformed that Apple will not be launching a larger screen iPhone any time soon. An investor asked Tim what he thought about the larger screens offered by competitors and if Apple had any plans to launch a bigger iPhone.

Tim Cook said he was unhappy about the quality, colours and longevity of larger screens he said "Apple will not ship larger iPhone display while these trade off's exist."

Wonder how they manage to sell iPads and Mac books if they are so unhappy about large screens :confused:

Comments

• IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    Larger screen generally means larger battery surely? So that point is irrelevant.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim Cook conformed that Apple will not be launching a larger screen iPhone any time soon. An investor asked Tim what he thought about the larger screens offered by competitors and if Apple had any plans to launch a bigger iPhone.

Tim Cook said he was unhappy about the quality, colours and longevity of larger screens he said "Apple will not ship larger iPhone display while these trade off's exist."

Wonder how they manage to sell iPads and Mac books if they are so unhappy about large screens :confused:

Lol that's funny the HTC one is meant to be the best display out at the moment.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Larger screen generally means larger battery surely? So that point is irrelevant.

Tim cook never mentioned battery's. He was talking about Apples perceived quality issues with large screens.

No a larger screen does not necessarily mean a larger battery. Look at this for small screen and large battery :eek:

http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/25/F0460758B915C87534392468140FC.jpg
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »

Apple have a grudge against OLED based screens at the moment!

Tim Cook recently described OLED displays as awful. “If you buy things online, you should think twice before you depend on the color of the OLED display. The Retina display is twice as bright as an OLED display”. Cook said, “Some people use OLED displays, but the color saturation is awful.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/02/20/tim-cook-does-not-like-oled-but-spends-money-on-it/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple have a grudge against OLED based screens at the moment!

Tim Cook recently described OLED displays as awful. “If you buy things online, you should think twice before you depend on the color of the OLED display. The Retina display is twice as bright as an OLED display”. Cook said, “Some people use OLED displays, but the color saturation is awful.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/02/20/tim-cook-does-not-like-oled-but-spends-money-on-it/

Ah interesting thanks for that I hadn't read that.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    For me, the 3.8 inch screen is the perfect size.

It feels comfortable, still looks good and my thumb can easily reach every corner.

I find that anything over 4 inches is too big.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »

It feels comfortable, still looks good and my thumb can easily reach every corner.

A lot of people are like that and I can completely understand why you say that. The HTC one size is the limit for me I could never use anything like a Note 2 to me it's to big to be called a phone as it struggles fit in a jeans or trouser pocket.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    no large screen they must be content with their shares plummeting then.

I wonder if this trade off will apply to the supposed budget iPhone.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not, it just has the highest ppi.

And what's that got to do with Apple anyway?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »

I remember when 3.5 inches was the perfect size and anything over that was just far too big!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    No it's not, it just has the highest ppi.

And what's that got to do with Apple anyway?

I've read many reviews which says it has the best screen. Got do with fact that apple say larger screens are crap when they clearly aren't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read many reviews which says it has the best screen.
    Subjective opinions don't mean anything.
    Objectively, there are better display panels out there.

Got do with fact that apple say larger screens are crap when they clearly aren't
    That's got nothing to do with the One in particular though.
    The same could be said of any number of other Android handsets' screens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subjective opinions don't mean anything.
    Objectively, there are better display panels out there.

That's got nothing to do with the One in particular though.
    The same could be said of any number of other Android handsets' screens.

A lot of big name reviewers are all saying that it is the best Mobile headset screen so maybe it is subjective but if most agree that's the important thing.

It could you are completely right I just thought I would throw out the best one in response to there stupid comment by Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of big name reviewers are all saying that it is the best Mobile headset screen so maybe it is subjective but if most agree that's the important thing.
    Out of interest, who are those 'big name reviewers'?

It could you are completely right I just thought I would throw out the best one in response to there stupid comment by Apple.
    It came across more like an attempt to shoehorn your choice of phone into a discussion that was unrelated to it.
    I could be wrong, in which case I apologise but you wouldn't be the first person on here guilty of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, who are those 'big name reviewers'?

It came across more like an attempt to shoehorn your choice of phone into a discussion that was unrelated to it.
    I could be wrong, in which case I apologise but you wouldn't be the first person on here guilty of that.

Honestly just look around it hard not find one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reviews I go out of my way to read are GSMArena's and they don't reach that conclusion.
    Other blogs I follow that dabble in reviews haven't reviewed all the new handsets coming to the market, so any conclusions would be incomplete at best.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    What screen does the iPhone use anyway?

(don't say retina)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an IPS LCD panel, manufactured by LG IIRC.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It's an IPS LCD panel, manufactured by LG IIRC.

cheers.

I'm not surprised by the news that Apple won't be making a bigger iPhone. It's not going to sell any worse if they don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no benefit to them producing a larger handset.

It'd just be like the iPad Mini - the iPad Mini appeals more to people who would've bought an iPad anyway and prefer the smaller size, rather than people who would've bought a different brand purely due to the size of it; similarly, people who buy a larger iPhone will mostly be people who would've bought an iPhone anyway but would prefer a larger size rather than, say, people looking at the likes of the Note2.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no benefit to them producing a larger handset.

Well that leaves the Phablet market to all the others then. There is clearly a market for 5" - 6" hybrid devices and the success of the Galaxy S4 is based on a screen that is around the size of the original Note.

Apple reacted to the uptake of 7" Tablets with the iPad mini to protect their market share. It is bizarre that they seem to be ignoring the trend in the mobile phone market for larger display devices. Customers will vote with their money and the lack of a larger screen option iPhone may be a costly error of judgement over the next couple of years. With the quality and range of competition expanding for high end smartphones, the one size fits all approach may have a much smaller potential market.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Profits may be down but they sold more iPhones and ipads than they did this time last year.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they don't want it to effect their iPad sales.

If they bought out an iPhone with a larger screen people will think "why do I need an iPad"?

I hardly even use my PC now (only use my S3 and it's always with me).
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Profits may be down but they sold more iPhones and ipads than they did this time last year.

They did mention in the call that the profit margin on the iPad Mini is much smaller than the full size, so I'd deduce from that the iPad Mini has been really popular.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

In such an expanding market people would be getting sacked if they werent !!!!! :eek: