Charlotte Church on Question Time

mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
I have to say that she held her own quite well. I was pleasantly surprised.

She had poise and looked relaxed. She was intelligent and articulate.

Good for you Chazzer! Gave your public image a boost.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd second that. Quite impressive. Shame about the nasty pensioner in the audience.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd second that. Quite impressive. Shame about the nasty pensioner in the audience.

Missed the programme. What did the pensioner do?
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Missed the programme. What did the pensioner do?

Didn't catch it all but it seemed like "celebrities court publicity so they deserve everything they get" in regards to hacking, and then when Charlotte detailed the members of her family and friends who had been hacked just to get to her, some really nasty stuff, dismissed it with a throwaway comment like " if they/you had have been stronger you would have got through it"

That's not exactly right but the something like that, I am prepared to be corrected.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, what was the point of the old prune being there?:rolleyes:
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WHILE i do not agree with the pensioner;s view.. SHE has a right to freedom of speech. and her own personal point of view.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mychmose wrote: »
    I have to say that she held her own quite well. I was pleasantly surprised.

She had poise and looked relaxed. She was intelligent and articulate.

Good for you Chazzer! Gave your public image a boost.

I didn't see the whole programme but agree, she was better than many "professionals" like politicians and journalists. Some people are too quick to dismiss entertainers on programmes like Question Time, some are poor as are also many "professionals" but some entertainers have been excellent speakers on that type of programme.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think that the older woman in the audience had a point. Celebrities use the media when it suits them but dont like it when it out of their control. In many cases it is the media which has made them rich and famous and when it turns sour, they dont want to hear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I actually think that the older woman in the audience had a point. Celebrities use the media when it suits them but dont like it when it out of their control. In many cases it is the media which has made them rich and famous and when it turns sour, they dont want to hear.

The Mail has a piece on it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240667/Cameron-let-say-phone-hacking-victims-PM-refused-statutory-regulation-Press.html

The elderly lady did seem to have a very twisted viewpoint
    'There were also many people around me, whose phones were hacked, including our parish priest. That has nothing to do with my public persona or me being a celebrity.’

Referring to Church's mother's self-harm the woman replied: 'Maybe a strong person could have weathered that storm,' leading to boos and gasps from the audience and Charlotte Church shook her head.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I was surprised too, im normally against celebs on question time because without fail they all tow the same political line but she seemed to have a lot of knowledge on that particular subject.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

So that justifies hacking their phones.....ok then.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am sorry but the woman in the audience has no "point" at all.

Certainly some "celebrities" do court publicity, especially from the tabloid end of the market, however that does no justify the illegal activities of journalists in order to obtain a story, even more so if the person who is the victim of the illegal activity becomes a target simply because they are a friend or a relative.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Charlotte Church has always come across very well on television. Considering how young she was with global fame, she's remarkably self aware and well balanced.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Charlotte Church has always come across very well on television. Considering how young she was with global fame, she's remarkably self aware and well balanced.

I agree, since she has sorted her life out she always comes across as articulate and intelligent.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, Charlotte was most impressive. She showed up the rest of the panel, particularly the Tory duffer who didn't appear to know what line his own party leader was preparing to take !..and didn't the sleazy journalist from the old NOTW fit the part, I could imagine him sniffing around celebrity rubbish bins. :)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I was surprised at how impressive she was, she obviously had a lot of knowledge on the subject, held her own against the pensioner who was bang out of order, didn't try to dodge questions like pretty much every politician who appears on the show does, she impressed me a lot more than Hugh Grant who every time he talks about the press hacking makes it personal to him I think whereas Charlotte seemed to be talking in general about the situation..

I think she came across well on the other subjects spoken about on the show, especially the Rotherham/UKIP story
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    So that justifies hacking their phones.....ok then.

Not just their phones but all their friends' and relatives' phones according to the old lady.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was quite surprised when she appeared to be the headline act. She was the first introduced and the first to speak, ahead of the Tory MP who is usually the first.

Probably a good decision becuase he was a total numpty.

I too thought she did well and had to laugh at that granny's comments :D
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone hacking is never justified. I never said that it was on my post.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member

^^ Exactly this ^^
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member

I remember when she was on Have I Got News For You and was surprised what a great presenter she was at such a young age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    ^^ Exactly this ^^

So you think it is quite reasonable for the media to harass, hack etc any relatives or acquaintances of the celebrity? Would the elderly lady think the same if she had a celebrity living next to her and so found the press in her garden peering over the hedge and perhaps even hacking her phone in case she got a call from the celebrity.
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    ^^ Exactly this ^^
    lundavra wrote: »
    So you think it is quite reasonable for the media to harass, hack etc any relatives or acquaintances of the celebrity? Would the elderly lady think the same if she had a celebrity living next to her and so found the press in her garden peering over the hedge and perhaps even hacking her phone in case she got a call from the celebrity.
    Not sure how people can justify it. Surely they know it's not about snapping a celeb falling drunkenly out of a nightclub or similar?

What about Denholm Elliot's daughter who was a drug addict and beggar when a jouranist 'finally' tracked her down (he heard that the daughter of an actor was in a bad way and went out of his way to track her down) he paid her for sex for the sole purpose that he could 'do a number on her' (in his own words) by naming her as a prostitute in his headline/article.

Did Denholm Elliot's daughter ask or deserve that?
  • rdanvillerdanville Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    WHILE i do not agree with the pensioner;s view.. SHE has a right to freedom of speech. and her own personal point of view.

Freedom of speech in the UK was consigned to history years ago. Now it seems freedom of the press will be joining it soon.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised at how impressive she was, she obviously had a lot of knowledge on the subject, held her own against the pensioner who was bang out of order, didn't try to dodge questions like pretty much every politician who appears on the show does, she impressed me a lot more than Hugh Grant who every time he talks about the press hacking makes it personal to him I think whereas Charlotte seemed to be talking in general about the situation..

I think she came across well on the other subjects spoken about on the show, especially the Rotherham/UKIP story

To be fair, Hugh Grant has led this campaign. I don't think that Charlotte Church would be on Question Time if it wasn't for the stuff that Hugh Grant did beforehand.
    Forum Member
    To be fair, Hugh Grant has led this campaign. I don't think that Charlotte Church would be on Question Time if it wasn't for the stuff that Hugh Grant did beforehand.
    I thought Grant was good on his doc the other night. He seemed to be a decent interviewer and the clips of him at the conferences showed that he could have a laugh at himself but also be serious to get the point across.