recuva does it work with dvds?

emailsemails Posts: 11,275
Forum Member
✭✭
i have just been trying to record some tv programmes to dvd only to find that the dvd has just lost the files,how can i recover this?

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably it'll be too much technical effort to try and recover the data, assuming it was actually written in the first place

Depending on the program it may be possible to download it (cough)
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Probably it'll be too much technical effort to try and recover the data, assuming it was actually written in the first place

Depending on the program it may be possible to download it (cough)

as it was deal or no deal my only hope then is YT but just can't understand why the dvd loses the data after recording from a dvd machine? 9 times out of 10 its ok. even if its proctected
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    as it was deal or no deal my only hope then is YT but just can't understand why the dvd loses the data after recording from a dvd machine? 9 times out of 10 its ok. even if its proctected

Depends on many things...quality of the media, the laser on the drive etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on many things...quality of the media, the laser on the drive etc

oh dear most of my dvds are supermarket bought, but 9 times out of 10 there ok
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear most of my dvds are supermarket bought, but 9 times out of 10 there ok

That's about right for media. IIRC it has about a 10% fail rate, so in a box of 10 disks one may not work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    That's about right for media. IIRC it has about a 10% fail rate, so in a box of 10 disks one may not work.

oh wounderfull so what disc are fail safe then? we never had problems with the humble video tape unless the machine chewed it
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burning to DVD is very old school. Putting video onto on NAS ad streaming it is the way forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Burning to DVD is very old school. Putting video onto on NAS ad streaming it is the way forward.

forgive me but what is NAS i am a bit behind on technogy
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    forgive me but what is NAS i am a bit behind on technogy

I'm not in the fast lane either :) but I know what that one means .........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    I'm not in the fast lane either :) but I know what that one means .........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

reading that ,sadly theres not alot there i understand & til now not heard of NAS so don't know how this replaces "if thats the case" dvds? the machine pictured is i guess a divce that records data from a pc or tv set? i only thought blueray was the future replacement for dvds?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reading that ,sadly theres not alot there i understand & til now not heard of NAS so don't know how this replaces "if thats the case" dvds? the machine pictured is i guess a divce that records data from a pc or tv set? i only thought blueray was the future replacement for dvds?

Blu-ray is old hat too!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh wounderfull so what disc are fail safe then? we never had problems with the humble video tape unless the machine chewed it
    No such animal. Even the best makes have duff batches.

If you are talking about a standalone recorder rather than a PC drive one thing to resolve this issue would be to use a DVD recorder with built in hard drive. Record the programmes to the hard drive then copy to DVD as necessary. The big advantage of this is that if the DVD screws up you just chuck the disk away, stick a new one in and copy it again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

looking at that ,i get a better understanding of this,it appears a storage divce that i assume connects to a pc or tv ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have an tv point near your pc you could probably get a USB TV freeview decoder then set it up to record programs you want to the HDD then you'll be able to check the programs have been recorded and if so dump em onto DVD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have an tv point near your pc you could probably get a USB TV freeview decoder then set it up to record programs you want to the HDD then you'll be able to check the programs have been recorded and if so dump em onto DVD

well i should have all that on my lcd 40" plasma tv mines got freeview built in ,but til our areal is sorted we are feeding off sky & anything from sky goes tv dvd recorder if its required to go on dvd. where would this divice help here?