Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    From PM in one series to grieving father in next...

Demoted to car salesman!
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Isnt there supposed to be a famous British actor in the series?
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe I forgot this was on. Luckily there are repeats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving it so far :)
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oops at calling Lotte, Katrine.

Women don't like that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Brussels no-one can hear you scream:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww so sad :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a worrying moment I thought Bent was a goner.

Kruse makes my skin crawl. A slimy, reptilian excuse of a man.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Birgitte speaking English and French was a highlight for me :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

It was very impressive.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the continuity announcer was more excited this was back than all the rest of us. She even observed a dignified silence during the end credits - Whoever you are, we salute you!

Excellent stuff, even if they are still pressing the divorce button unrealistically hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    From PM in one series to grieving father in next...

I was momentarily confused as to what show I was watching!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same story, only the "impossible political decisions" have been changed to disguise the fact.

As soon as Bent accepted the appointment and seemed to have solved the problem, I said to my wife; "He'll collapse and die in a minute." Not far off.
    Something for everyone, including "the romantics,"
    But it's still watchable, but maybe that's more an indictment of the alternatives.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Borgen virgin here, just finished watching first two episodes of series 2 and LOVED it. Can't believe I'm saying this but preferred it to The Killing. :eek:
    The pacing is less frantic and the writing and performances are first class. Thank you BBC4 for the continuing alternative to crap Saturday night TV. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might start wearing groovy blazers and scarfs to work now, a cheaper alternative to the wooly jumper??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressive start tonight. Poor Bent though. :( I hope we see him again this series; one of the strongest aspects of Borgen is his and Birgitte's friendship IMO.
  • PaulraffPaulraff Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Borgen virgin here, just finished watching first two episodes of series 2 and LOVED it. Can't believe I'm saying this but preferred it to The Killing. :eek:
    The pacing is less frantic and the writing and performances are first class. Thank you BBC4 for the continuing alternative to crap Saturday night TV. :)

I feel the same. TK introduced us to excellent Danish TV drama, but Borgen takes it up several levels for me. I find myself feeling so much more for the characters. In particular, Sidse Babett Knudsen is outstanding as Birgitte Nyborg. She portrays a strong, intensely likeable character, combining humanity, intelligence and strength in a wonderfully-written role.

And you really get bound up in the stories of other characters like Bendt, Kaspar, Katrine and Hannah.

And the second episode tonight must win title of the year: "In Brussels No-one Can Hear You Scream". Brilliant.

:D
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    In Brussels no-one can hear you scream:eek:
    Yes, best bit.
    Forum Member
    Actually, the title for ep 1 was great as well. As soon as the bereaved father read out the sentence from his son's letter about the 89,000 children's lives saved each year I thought "That's the article headline!"

And it was.

Katrine and me, separated at birth :p
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amazing English accent wasn't it! Sidse is far more well spoken than most English people - and her French was very good too. I always wonder if the Danes find French easier to speak than we do because they both use their throats to speak a lot.

Kasper has replaced Katrine with a Katrine clone! :eek: That relationship's clearly not going to last very long.

Hanne's drinking must be getting worse this series due to her issues with her daughter. :(

And yes, funny to see Kristian Kamper in this. Someone above asked if they have a small pool of actors in Denmark. I think that's the case - well smaller than here anyway - it's quite a small country after all.

Absolutely loved those two episodes. The two hours flew by for me as if they were less than one hour. Great to see all the characters back again - I do miss Philip though.
    Forum Member

She studied acting in Paris for three years, and in New York for two years after that.

The Danes could do worse than elect her as their real PM in this modern age where image, poise and soundbites are so important.

She'd get my vote. (Over that dodgy-looking car salesman anyway. Didn't look to me like a man of true integrity. Hehe!)
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paulraff wrote: »
    The Danes could do worse than elect her as their real PM in this modern age where image, poise and soundbites are so important.

Yes - they've got a kind of modern, quite glamorous woman as their PM at the moment however. I think the Danes nickname her 'Gucci Helle'. Apparently the way that worked out was quite amusing because she was elected not too long after the first series of Borgen so it was kind of life imitating art.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paulraff wrote: »
    She studied acting in Paris for three years, and in New York for two years after that.
    Yet she still manages excellent English.

She'd get my vote. (Over that dodgy-looking car salesman anyway. Didn't look to me like a man of true integrity. Hehe!)
    Do you mean the character played by the actor who previously played Danish PM but in this is a car salesman? Or the Machievellian reptile who might be mistaken for a dodgy salesperson?

I thought part 1 - 89,000 children was extremely good, matching the very best of any Nordic crime drama. Part 2 was good too.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    As brilliant as Series 1.

But I miss Sanne :cry:
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Me too. But realistically they couldn't keep her after they spent the whole series saying how crap she was. :D

Awww, that was part of her appeal. Although, to be fair, she was much more efficient in the end :p

At one point I was sure Birgitte was going to say 'get rid of this sourpuss and bring me Sanne back'.

But it's not gonna happen is it ?