Homophobic abuse from Corrie cast - The Mirror

RearViewMirrorRearViewMirror Posts: 76
Forum Member
Corrie gay hate shock: Street stars warned about homophobic abuse

Angry memo to cast has been pinned on the wall after staff complained about jibes made in the studio

Coronation Street has been rocked by a homophobia scandal after staff complained that hate-filled comments were made on the ITV1 show’s set.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/corrie-gay-hate-shock-coronation-1647726

Awful - I hope that (if true) whoever is caught doing this is disciplined and/or sacked. Bullying in the workplace is wrong, regardless of whether you work on a soap or in a supermarket.

Comments

• ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,269
    Forum Member
    With Anthony Tully being the "victim" I wouldn't be too quick to make comment on this. We don't know the full extent of the story here.
  • RearViewMirrorRearViewMirror Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    With Anthony Tully being the "victim" I wouldn't be too quick to make comment on this. We don't know the full extent of the story here.

I don't think that homophobia should be tolerated because we don't like the media persona of the person whom is on the receiving end.

There are a many reasons to criticise Antony Cotton, but the type of person who he goes to bed with is not one of them.
    Forum Member
    I don't think that homophobia should be tolerated because we don't like the media persona of the person whom is on the receiving end.

There are a many reasons to criticise Antony Cotton, but the type of person who he goes to bed with is not one of them.

The thing is we don't know what was said, who it was said to or why. We don't know the full context of this and I do think it's harsh to jump in and say that the person who made these comments is a complete bully without knowing all of the facts.

Yes I do agree there is no excuse for homophobia, however it may not have been Anthony Tullys sexuality that caused these comments but in actual fact it may be down to his personality. I don't know the man but it seems a lot of other actors do have problems/issues with him.
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    The thing is we don't know what was said, who it was said to or why. We don't know the full context of this and I do think it's harsh to jump in and say that the person who made these comments is a complete bully without knowing all of the facts.

Yes I do agree there is no excuse for homophobia, however it may not have been Anthony Tullys sexuality that caused these comments but in actual fact it may be down to his personality. I don't know the man but it seems a lot of other actors do have problems/issues with him.

There is no justifiable context for homophobia.

Your second paragraph appears to insinuate that it's OK to use homophobic language to people if they have disagreeable aspects to their general personality.

That is not the case.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,530
    Forum Member
    There is no justifiable context for homophobia.

Your second paragraph appears to insinuate that it's OK to use homophobic language to people if they have disagreeable aspects to their general personality.

That is not the case.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that reply - its like using racist language and then saying its ok the person I used it against wasn't a nice person.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, if any 'abuse' has been cast Cotton's way, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with homophobia. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the whole article is vague to the point of not being a story at all. Even Cotton has not complained and god knows, he wouldn't pass up any genuine opportunity for a whinge.
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Hmm, if any 'abuse' has been cast Cotton's way, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with homophobia. :rolleyes:

Again, why are we dismissing issues of prejudice and discrimination just because they come from somebody whose media personality and/or soap character you don't like? :confused:

Why is there an attitude of "deserved bigotry" if someone whom we've never met yet don't like is on the receiving end?
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homophobia should not be tolerated anywhere at all but unfortunely some people still have small minds...I dont like Anthony Cotton but I would not want him to suffer homophobic abuse either.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    we dont even know it was antony cotton do we? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, why are we dismissing issues of prejudice and discrimination just because they come from somebody whose media personality and/or soap character you don't like? :confused:

Why is there an attitude of "deserved bigotry" if someone whom we've never met yet don't like is on the receiving end?

The point I'm making is that, from this article, (which is almost totally devoid of facts), we don't know who, if anybody, has been subject to homophobic abuse, and apparently Cotton has not complained about it.

Yes, many people dislike Cotton for many reasons. I personally doubt that any of them are because he is gay.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    The article doesn't say what was said, who said it if anything actually was said, and in what context. The person who leaked this story has been quite unfair, because now all of the cast falls under being suspect of using homophobic slurs, which most likely is not the case. So, either leak the whole story, with names and all, or leak nothing at all.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Scrabbler on this.

I don't condone homophobia. I have gay friends. I've even raised money for Stonewall - but we don't know the full extent of this. None of us do.

AC may be suffering homophobic bullying. He may not be, but the reality is, is that he does have a history of getting various peoples backs up. That's no excuse however but I don't think this is that black and white. It maybe a tiny thing that's blown up to unneccassary proportions by him or he may be the victim of some homophobia in the workplace. I'm not blaming him - and that if anyone truely has said vile homophobic things, then it's bang out of order full stop - but really it could be anything.

If he has suffered homophobic abuse, then people should be reprimanded for it. That goes without saying.

ETA - Of course all the above is IF it is him. Like others have said, it may not be him that's complained.
  • ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Antony Cotton just tweeted this
    @antonycotton
    When I won the National Television Award for playing my character Sean in Coronation Street, I thanked the show and ITV for putting...

@antonycotton
    ...a gay character at the centre of the show. I felt nothing but love and support from the cast and crew in equal measure...

@antonycotton
    ....Almost ten years later, I feel no different. If you want to feel equal and included then Weatherfield is the place to be.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »

I don't condone homophobia. I have gay friends. I've even raised money for Stonewall - but we don't know the full extent of this. None of us do.

AC may be suffering homophobic bullying. He may not be, but the reality is, is that he does have a history of getting various peoples backs up. That's no excuse however but I don't think this is that black and white. It maybe a tiny thing that's blown up to unneccassary proportions by him or he may be the victim of some homophobia in the workplace. I'm not blaming him - and that if anyone truely has said vile homophobic things, then it's bang out of order full stop - but really it could be anything.

If he has suffered homophobic abuse, then people should be reprimanded for it. That goes without saying.

This. The whole report is hear-say, and just because someon i gay doesnt mean he's the victim of homophobic bullying. My brother was asked to put on a concert for an organisation called Rock Against Racism and he turned it down because the guy was a douche that didnt know his arse from his elbow and the guy tried to say it was racism. *insert sarcastic eyeroll here*
    Forum Member

ETA - Of course all the above is IF it is him. Like others have said, it may not be him that's complained.

If you were really against homophobia, you wouldn't need to reaffirm it by pulling out loads of random facts about how gay-friendly you are. Just saying.

I don't have much time for people who even slightly attempt to justify homophobia by making wider arguments about a person's character.
    los.kav wrote: »
    This. The whole report is hear-say, and just because someon i gay doesnt mean he's the victim of homophobic bullying. My brother was asked to put on a concert for an organisation called Rock Against Racism and he turned it down because the guy was a douche that didnt know his arse from his elbow and the guy tried to say it was racism. *insert sarcastic eyeroll here*

BIB- I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise. And you shouldn't make some anecdotal story about your brother paint your entire worldview.
  • mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you were really against homophobia, you wouldn't need to reaffirm it by pulling out loads of random facts about how gay-friendly you are. Just saying.

No it's because none of us know Katrina from a bar of soap. By saying these things she's trying to assure us that she's not homophobic. I know what you're saying but I also see her point of view.

I think what she's trying to say is if I called AC, or Natalie G a "d***head" or "pompous moron" or anything insulting then they could turn around and insist I said it because I'm homophobic or racist. As where as I may have been saying it because they were being pompous morons, or because I'm nasty. Either way nothing to do with sexuality or skin colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe I pointed this out because I didn't want to be seen as a homophobe or even 'justifying' homophobic slurs simply for pointing out this isn't as black and white people think it is.

Given your comments against those who simply offer a different viewpoint than your own, I felt it was neccassary.

Just saying. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't have much time for people who even slightly attempt to justify homophobia by making wider arguments about a person's character.

You on the other hand are insisting on ignoring the content of several posts and appear to be deliberately misinterpreting them to try to paint us all as homophobics.

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone on this thread is homophobic, or condones homophobia in any way, shape or form, but I appreciate that this probably doesn't suit your personal agenda, so will not comment further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mvloca wrote: »
    No it's because none of us know Katrina from a bar of soap. By saying these things she's trying to assure us that she's not homophobic. I know what you're saying but I also see her point of view.

Thank you. :)
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God it's Cotton. Probably him just sh!t stirring on set. Obviously true homophobia is a terrible thing, but there's probably other stuff going on here if its true. It doesn't mention Charlie Condou having any homophobic problems. But then he isn't a Grade A Drama Queen, or may just have a thicker skin. Or, the article may be complete b@llocks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can have a million gay friends and still say something homophobic. It always amuses me when people say "I'm not homophobic as I have lots of gay friends". I can't see the evidence in that.

I worked for a very equal opportunities org. and I still had to explain to someone, who was usually very politically correct, not to use the word 'gay' for something bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    You can have a million gay friends and still say something homophobic. It always amuses me when people say "I'm not homophobic as I have lots of gay friends". I can't see the evidence in that.

I think that's a fair comment. :) It works for everything and everyone though. I mean being friends with different people from different ethnicties doesn't mean you can't made a racist comment, being friends with someone older, doesn't mean you can't make a ageist comment. Difference doesn't mean you can't make a comment about that difference even for things like weight, gender, hair colour and so on.

Anyway, I only made those comments because there was such an anti stance on those that gave a different view from the off, that I felt the need to defend myself even before I gave my actual opinion on it. :o
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I drifted off reading that, sounds like a load of crap to me, I was more drawn to this story about Martin Platt

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/corrie-sean-wilson-is-heartbroken-as-wife-1647634
    Forum Member
    I think that's a fair comment. :) It works for everything and everyone though. I mean being friends with different people from different ethnicties doesn't mean you can't made a racist comment, being friends with someone older, doesn't mean you can't make a ageist comment. Difference doesn't mean you can't make a comment about that difference even for things like weight, gender, hair colour and so on.

Anyway, I only made those comments because there was such an anti stance on those that gave a different view from the off, that I felt the need to defend myself even before I gave my actual opinion on it. :o

I did feel in my posts that I should probably have stated that I am in fact gay myself, but I did wonder why on earth it mattered either way. The point I was getting at remains the same, we don't know the full extent of this so why get into such a state over it.

And thanks KK, for actually reading what I had typed rather than making rash assumptions