New Narnia films?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
Why did they only make 3 Narnia films and leave out the rest of the books? They made all the Harry Potters and Lord of the rings so it would be good if they completed Narnia.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rights were up....

There probably won't be any more films until the inevitable reboot in 5 or 6 years
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I didn't know the rights were up on it!

As I just thought it was the fact that the second and third film both struggled to break even so there was always a question mark over the possibilty of a fourth film!
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the rights were bought from Disney after the first 2 films?
    Like has been said above though, they struggled to make much money so have been canned. Shame as I quite enjoyed them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I would be interested to know where you got the information that the rights have expired as I haven't heard this. The problem I knew about is there is conflict as to which one to do next.

From an article posted 7th December last year, 2012

This Monday will mark two years since Fox/Walden’s The Voyage of the Dawn Treader hit theaters and ultimately performed below expectations in the United States, but pretty well internationally. At this point, most fans have accepted the fact that we should not expect to see another Narnia film made for some time.
    One of the reasons for the hold-up is disagreement about what the next step should be. Micheal Flaherty (Walden Media president) would like to make The Magician’s Nephew while Douglas Gresham (co-producer, Lewis’ stepson) favors The Silver Chair. Here is a clip from World Magazine‘s interview with Micheal Flaherty:

Q: So, with revenue going down and production costs remaining high, so what’s next for the Narnia movie series?
    MF: There are multiple opinions on all this and a lot of different players: The C.S. Lewis estate, the studio, our company—and we’re not all of one mind. I would love to find a way where the economics work, acknowledging the decline. I’d like to do The Magician’s Nephew. Other people want to do The Silver Chair, and there’s disagreement about the economics and the overall vision of where the franchise should go next. My hope is that we may all become of one mind, but unless something providential happens there, I’m focusing on a number of other stories.

Q: So, at this moment, no deal?
    MF: Nope.

Back in May (2012), Douglas Gresham indicated there is a seven-year moratorium on producing any Narnia films outside of Walden Media. He also wants to make The Silver Chair next as an independent film.

The seven year moratorium would presumably have run out in 2010 as it would have started before the script was written and prepreaperation to filming had begun, It was announced in 2003 that TLTWTW was being made, so 7 years on is 2010 the year the last film came out.

So going from that interview the box office takings which is often blamed for the "flop" of the films isn't the issue or not the main issue anyway. It's a disagreement as to which film to make next.

Tough battle that one, film company vs Grandson and the family estate.
    This one could run and run. The Lewis estate don't need the money from the films, but it would be nice to haveso they can stick to their guns and insist on them making the films in the orer published or the order of their choosing. So they will always win this one.
    All Walden can do is hope that the Lewis estate actually care enough that they want the other films made that to just get it our of the way agree to back down and let Walden do The Magician's Nephew.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be interested to know where you got the information that the rights have expired as I haven't heard this. The problem I knew about is there is conflict as to which one to do next.

In October 2011, Douglas Gresham stated that Walden Media's contract with the C. S. Lewis estate had expired, with Walden Media no longer having exclusive purchasing rights to any further Narnia films. Thus any production of a future film is on hold indefinitely.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    really enjoyed the films especially the 3rd one :(

would hate for them to not make a 4th one