Aaagh! Why these infantile names?

Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, I admit to being a bit of a grump these days, but why are we seeing platforms, software, OS's etc wuth such kiddy names?

Ice cream sandwich
Jelly Bean
Raspberry Pi.

What's the thinking behind it? Indeed is there any?:confused:

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the worst is key lime pie.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like them, it's more fun than iOS4, iOS5, iOS6, etc.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least there's a lot of them, Apple is running out of wild felines, the next OSX will have to be called Hello Kitty.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Eclipse uses more grown-up names: Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo, Juno.

Don't know why there is no F and 2 G's though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    OK, I admit to being a bit of a grump these days, but why are we seeing platforms, software, OS's etc wuth such kiddy names?

Ice cream sandwich
    Jelly Bean
    Raspberry Pi.

What's the thinking behind it? Indeed is there any?:confused:

The first two are Android versions, Android versions are always named after foodstuff (generally some kind of sweet food or pudding)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Android is named alphebetically with each version. Its also name after a desert.

So it goes, A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K
    Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice cream sandwich, Jelly bean, Key lime pie etc...

Not really kiddy names, and like mentioned above there are still version numbers
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Android is named alphebetically with each version. Its also name after a desert.

Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice cream sandwich, Jelly bean, Key lime pie etc...

Not really kiddy names, and like mentioned above there are still version numbers

<slaps head>

Oh my word. I have been using these names for ages but hadn't realised they were in alphabetical order! I always struggled to remember which order they came in - now it's easy! Doh!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Looks up froyo. I expected it to be something more exciting than shoving some yoghurt into a freezer.
    Forum Member
    Yeh, I would like to see more fancy/classy deserts rather than snack ones aha.

I missed out cupcake btw. Forgot about that one.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget Cupcake :D

Edit: I see you beat me to it lol
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks up froyo. I expected it to be something more exciting than shoving some yoghurt into a freezer.

froyo is very yummy though :D

I don't mind the naming system, I just don't like the name key lime pie!
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no-ones mentioned ubuntu yet....
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think android should bring out apple pie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheppy124 wrote: »

Sadly A has passed :D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheppy124 wrote: »

A and B were named after robots....A for Astro and B for Bender....then they switched to desserts starting with C for Cupcake...Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, K(ey Lime Pie).....gosh it's so fun typing that....:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    A and B were named after robots....A for Astro and B for Bender....then they switched to desserts starting with C for Cupcake...Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, K(ey Lime Pie).....gosh it's so fun typing that....:D:D:D

I think the names are kinda fun, it's the reason I like the way Apple name OSX after cats. Names like iOS1, iOS2... S just boring.

And don't get me starting on Windows... Their naming scheme must be made up by a child or a crazy man called ballmer :D
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »

And don't get me starting on Windows..., Their naming scheme must be made up by a child or a crazy man called ballmer :D

What's the difference?

:rolleyes:
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the names are kinda fun, it's the reason I like the way Apple name OSX after cats. Names like iOS1, iOS2... S just boring.

And don't get me starting on Windows... Their naming scheme must be made up by a child or a crazy man called ballmer :D

windows versions were named after physical locations for a while, I don't think 8 had a code name. Wiki has it listed as Metro (not longer used due to legal action) but I thought that was the name of the interface design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_codenames
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the difference?

:rolleyes:

Atleast iOS versions make sence but Windiws 7 is not the seventh version of windows, didn't even run a seventh version of the NT kernel, no one could explain where the 7 came from.

Also ME still gives me nightmares...
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Atleast iOS versions make sence but Windiws 7 is not the seventh version of windows, didn't even run a seventh version of the NT kernel, no one could explain where the 7 came from.

Also ME still gives me nightmares...

Depends how you look at things with Windows

Windows 1
    Windows 2
    Windows 3
    Windows 95 and 98 and ME (Windows 4)
    Windows XP (Windows 5)
    Windows Vista (Windows 6)
    Windows 7
    Windows 8

Makes perfect sense to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Depends how you look at things with Windows

Windows 1
    Windows 2
    Windows 3
    Windows 95 and 98 and ME (Windows 4)
    Windows XP (Windows 5)
    Windows Vista (Windows 6)
    Windows 7
    Windows 8

Makes perfect sense to me.

Well you if you combine 3 major OS releases into 1 sure lol... :rolleyes:

These were paid for new versions of windows, and sold as such, not minor updates... No more minor than vista to 7 or Windows 1 to 2.
    Forum Member
    Well you if you combine 3 major OS releases into 1 sure lol... :rolleyes:

These were paid for new versions of windows, and sold as such, not minor updates... No more minor than vista to 7 or Windows 1 to 2.

98 and ME were polished versions of 95. And Windows 7 was used for marketing reasons to get away from Vista. Seem logical - from a marketing view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    98 and ME were polished versions of 95. And Windows 7 was used for marketing reasons to get away from Vista. Seem logical - from a marketing view.

Indeed it's 7 because it suited Microsoft to be so, no other reason, windows 3 was just a polished version is 1 and 2.

It wasn't the seventh retail edition of windows, even Windows guys such as Paul Thurrott agrees that it makes no sense.
    Forum Member
    Indeed it's 7 because it suited Microsoft to be so, no other reason, windows 3 was just a polished version is 1 and 2.

It wasn't the seventh retail edition of windows, even Windows guys such as Paul Thurrott agrees that it makes no sense.

If you look at it as I did it makes perfect sense. It's just done for marketing reasons - a name does not need to make sense. No different than when Palm went from the III model straight to the V
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aren't they all just polished versions of each other then? So we should still be on windows 1. :D Until they kill the name windows altogether, and use something like doorway, skirting board, etc then they can go up a number. There i believe that settles the argument!