Spice Girls "Forever"

zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
Forum Member
I was just listening to this album today and whilst I think its no where near the quality of the first two it did deserve better than it did.

What do you think would have been a good second single from it (I say second as I don't really count Goodbye as being part of this albums era at all)

I think Tell Me Why would have bombed, its extremely generic RnB filler though the remixes gave it a bit of oomph.

Weekend Love is nice sans Mel Bs rap. If You Wanna Have Some Fun sounds like something that could have been on Spiceworld however its so so so so so so so long.

Get Down With Me probably would have been the best choice for second single & then a ballad like Weekend Love (sans Mel Bs rap)

Opinions?

Comments

• jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got the album [same cd I got when it was released in 2000 and think it still works]. I really like it although haven't listened to it for a few years. my favourite songs were Holler, Tell Me Why, Let love lead the way, oxygen, and Goodbye. to be honest, I don't think it would have matter what the 2nd single would've been. I don't think it would have done aswell as Holler/LLLTW, probably would go to #3 or #4 because by that point none of the girls seemed interested anymore and Mel C was really ill with anorexia, so I don't think they would have done much promotion for it
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I've still got the album [same cd I got when it was released in 2000 and think it still works]. I really like it although haven't listened to it for a few years. my favourite songs were Holler, Tell Me Why, Let love lead the way, oxygen, and Goodbye. to be honest, I don't think it would have matter what the 2nd single would've been. I don't think it would have done aswell as Holler, probably would go to #3 or #4 because by that point none of the girls seemed interested anymore and Mel C was really ill with anorexia, so I don't think they would have done much promotion for it

Was she? but she seemed rather heavy during the "Forever" era if anything it was at the height of Spice mania that she looked anorexic.

I think Mel Cs success with Never be the Same Again & I Turn to You put an end to the Spice Girls same as Cheryl's solo success put an end to Girls Aloud.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Was she? but she seemed rather heavy during the "Forever" era if anything it was at the height of Spice mania that she looked anorexic.

I think Mel Cs success with Never be the Same Again & I Turn to You put an end to the Spice Girls same as Cheryl's solo success put an end to Girls Aloud.

I seem to remember Mel C saying in the Giving You Everything documentary that whilst recording the album she started recovering but was still battling the illness, and she said that she didn't even want to record the album. also, she was working on solo stuff as well and wanted to concentrate on that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the rather brilliant 'If You Wanna Have Some Fun' might have been the second single as there's apparently a music video for it :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FOc1OOYFH8
  • Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I think the album is just as good as their first 2 albums ; their sound had just progressed. The main reason for the so called failure of this album was lack of promotion. Also some of the promotion that they did do was done separately such as Emma and Victoria attending the VH1 Fashion Awards in America etc etc. The group's unity and chemistry together was always a big selling point of the group. This damaged sales. However with sales of 4 million on the back of one single release (double a side) I think it can be classed as a success. Obviously not a phenomenal success such as Spice and Spiceworld but a success none the less.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think the third album was up to par personally. geri cited that one of the reasons why she left the group was due to the girls wanting to go rnb and i think she was wise with her concerns in hindsight. they had the best people in that genre working on that album and the most positive thing i can say is that these producers got better results out of the group vocally.

they also debuted "holler" way too early on their christmas tour the previous year, which i feel killed its buzz somewhat. then like the previous poster mentioned the promotion was disjointed with them splitting up into pairs and their solo careers seemed more important to them at that stage. the album cover was also dreadful and the whole project seemed half hearted.

i really do like "right back at ya", because while it doesn't seem out of place on the album, its sounded much more like their pop routes. whether it could have done well as a single is debatable, but it is an album highlight for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked If You Wanna Have Some Fun, Oxygen and Wasting My Time
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good album and loved Holler, but the process seemed all rushed
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's my favourite album from them TBH.
    It's the only one I still listen to.
  • Michael_SharpeMichael_Sharpe Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    It is an odd an album in the respect that following Spice and Spiceworld the overall "progression" and sound feels totally out of place. However as a album, I feel the songs work better together as an overall album compared to Spice and Spiceworld.

Singles wise, I think the songs most capable of being good singles were probably Wasting My Time, Get Down With Me, If You Wanna Have Some Fun. Aside from Goodbye and Let Love Lead The Way, the ballads on the album are very insipid and half hearted in my opinion.
  • gazzatheredgazzathered Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    They were a manufactured band for little girls. Absolute tripe. None of them can sing hence why they all did nothing as sola artists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Forever is a highly underrated album. It's an album packed with R&B (Holler) - Pop (Oxygen) - Disco (If You Wanna Have Some Fun) and fantastic emotional ballads (Let Love Lead the Way, and Goodbye). The album was slated at the time of it's release in 2000 but Forever shows that all the band members can sing and in this album their voices count for more than the music. Forever is my favorite Spice Girls album and all the songs on the album are brilliant.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Forever is their best album in my opinion. Singles aside, the first two albums are just filler really. But this one had loads of really great tracks. Particularly like Tell Me Why, Time Goes By, Right Back at Ya and of course Holler / Let Love Lead the Way.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    i think its such a weak album in comparison to the first two... it lacks that 'spice' ... it seems just formulaic and going through the motions. Some of their b-sides were better than songs on this album. And i cant believe that they abandoned 'woman'. They should have recorded it when they reunited and released this song as lead song for their GH, then 'friendship never ends'.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    I never understood why they shot themselves in the foot that there wasn't going to be any more singles after Holler.

Forever was never going to the be the worldwide smash of the first two, but they could have at least strung out another couple of releases to help the sales.

I also recall the promotion was a bit half-hearted, with half of the group promoting in the UK, while the other two where promoting in the US...again 'Spice Mania' had waned, but they were still a big enough draw to get on any TV show they wanted, especially with the growing hype about the Beckhams.
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were a manufactured band for little girls. Absolute tripe. None of them can sing hence why they all did nothing as sola artists.

The Sex Pistols were manufactured....

The Spice Girls had BALLS. They sacked the original management team who wanted them to dress the same and have a lead singer then set off to find a manager/record deal on their own.

As for not doing anything as solo artists....

Every single member has had at least one Number 1 single (apart from Victoria)

Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo artist, she had four number 1 singles in a row (a feat only matched by Elvis..)

Melanie C has sold around 10 Million.records as a solo artist and is an Olivier Award nominee... also, both Geri and Melanie are Brit Award nominees.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Kenny, how's that musical going?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    The Sex Pistols were manufactured....

The Spice Girls had BALLS. They sacked the original management team who wanted them to dress the same and have a lead singer then set off to find a manager/record deal on their own.

As for not doing anything as solo artists....

Every single member has had at least one Number 1 single (apart from Victoria)

Geri has sold 12 million records as a solo artist, she had four number 1 singles in a row (a feat only matched by Elvis..)

Melanie C has sold around 10 Million.records as a solo artist and is an Olivier Award nominee... also, both Geri and Melanie are Brit Award nominees.

Well said. Victoria was robbed of her #1 mind.
    The girls all wrote/co-wrote their music & solo music!
    They had their own ideas so hardly manufactured.

People who don't like them fine but hate it when some peoples opinions are basically a crock!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that's all you can pick at then fine. Just look at the girls other
    achievements. Of course some people do like to only look at the negatives & completely ignore the positives.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed, was going to be a massive success and proof of how everyone loved the Spice Girls wasn't it?

When's the Broadway shows start?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that's all you can pick at then fine. Just look at the girls other
    achievements. Of course some people do like to only look at the negatives & completely ignore the positives.

I think we're just confused why Kenny has dug this thread, and not This one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're just confused why Kenny has dug this thread, and not This one.

Oh OK i see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Musical is closing on the 29th after a critical mauling (on the whole directed towards poor Jen Saunder's script..) A real shame but that's showbiz, folks!

There's your answer, but I'm sure you could have googled it :-)

The interest was clearly there from the beginning, almost $5 Million in advance ticket sales.... so it's not like it was a crazy thought to predict a success.
    However, unfortunately, in most people's opinion, the story just wasn't strong enough and after the reviews, the ticket sales declined..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, was going to be a massive success and proof of how everyone loved the Spice Girls wasn't it?

When's the Broadway shows start?

Again, $5 Million in advance ticket sales.... it certainly looked as though it was going to be a success.

Similarly, the $5 Million in advance ticket sales is surely proof of the public's interest in a Spice Girls musical.

It just didn't work out in the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must of lost interest when Geri left as I was rather young and have never listened to 'Forever'. I can just about barely remember the single from it,