A Sudden Thought

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
Forum Member
Just wondering what everyone else thinks, but I've just thought... What would be the harm in them confirming that it's not a multi-doctor episode if it really isn't?

Fair enough they keep everything secret, but seeing as everyone's wondering, if its not a multi-doc episode then why not just say something like "The 50th anniversary will be the biggest episode ever, however for everyone who's asking, we can confirm that Matt is the only doctor shown"...

It just made me think, why not keep fans and reporters from being upset if they get really excited about it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming it's not a multi-Doctor special, simply saying that would do two things:

1. People would complain, and wouldn't even bother.
    2. It would ruin what we would expect of it.

I think it's best we not hear much about it until it comes out. All we have so far is "paintings", so let's run with that for now.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    andy741 wrote: »
    It just made me think, why not keep fans and reporters from being upset if they get really excited about it.

Thoughts?

Speculation is the lifeblood of TV drama advertising. If you take away the uncertainty, you lose the column inches. Think about how many articles have popped up, on Digital Spy alone, asking this person and that if they've been contacted about involvement in the 50th. The lack of information, and the lust for it, is what keeps the show alive in the media when it's off-air.

Throwing in vague clues like 'paintings' adds to the confusion and interest - everyone wants to solve the puzzles.

Besides, plans can change anyway. What if Moffat decided to work in a small cameo at the last minute? Nothing's in the can yet.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They're sticking to their usual rule... the BBC does not comment on episodes that far in advance...to confirm or deny. In the past, the press has had photo evidence of someone or something being in the show months before broadcast, but the Beeb will still usually only officially confirm it much closer to transmission.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    andy741 wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone else thinks, but I've just thought... What would be the harm in them confirming that it's not a multi-doctor episode if it really isn't?

Fair enough they keep everything secret, but seeing as everyone's wondering, if its not a multi-doc episode then why not just say something like "The 50th anniversary will be the biggest episode ever, however for everyone who's asking, we can confirm that Matt is the only doctor shown"...

Thoughts?

As you said everyone is wondering, and that is the exact reason why they will not confirm either way!
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    All we have so far is "paintings", so let's run with that for now.

Maybe the Doctor visits Van Gough again, or one of his paintings features in the special. Or he and Clara visit another painter, like Picasso or Leanardo Da Vinci.

I know the Fourth Doctor met Da Vinci in City of Death back in 1979. It doesn't mean the Eleventh Doctor can't.