My Kaspersky Security Is Soon To Expire Where Now?

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I will soon have to renew my Kaspersky Internet security, and would like to know if there was a free provider who would give as good a service?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft Security Essentials is free
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    Do you use internet banking? I know Barclays offers free Kasperksy with theirs which I use.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I've been using Avast for a number of years without any major problems. The basic version (antivirus only) is free for personal use.

The builtin Windows firewall should be sufficient for most people so I would advise against paying extra for a full-blown suite.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.cloudantivirus.com
    I have been using this for quite some time
    It updates & works in the back ground so you dont need to do anything
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    Do you use internet banking? I know Barclays offers free Kasperksy with theirs which I use.

Yes, me too. It works well too as well as being free (for us :cool: )

Its heuristics analysis blocking can be a bit over-aggressive though sometimes, I had to disable it to get my DVBViewer update installed, it got very annoyed with me (and me with it)!

Only Kaspersky 2013 is compatible with Windows 8.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft Security Essentials for permanent real-time protection.

MalwareBytes AntiMalware for routine scans maybe once a week.

Both are free of charge.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    I've been using Avast for a number of years without any major problems. The basic version (antivirus only) is free for personal use.

The builtin Windows firewall should be sufficient for most people so I would advise against paying extra for a full-blown suite.

Seconded - Avast just seems to get on with it with little interference
    Also free and including a firewall is Comodo - although, in the past, I have found it slightly intrusive
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming your are running Win 7 you may want to take a look at the most recent test results from AV Test.org: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2012/

Each product is rated out of 6 on Protection, Repair, Usability and of the FREE ones tested, they rank:

Checkpoint Zone Alarm Free 5.5; 5.0; 5.5
    AVG Free - 5.5; 5.0; 5.0
    Avast 7 Free - 5.0; 4.5; 5.0
    Panda Cloud Free - 5.0; 2.0; 5.0
    MSE - 2.5; 5.5; 5.5

So, Microsoft Security Essentials is obviously offering less protection than the others.

On the paid for security suites: Kaspersky and Bitdefender (my preferred choice) are highly rated in terms of all three abilities.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    Assuming your are running Win 7 you may want to take a look at the most recent test results from AV Test.org: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2012/

Each product is rated out of 6 on Protection, Repair, Usability and of the FREE ones tested, they rank:

Checkpoint Zone Alarm Free 5.5; 5.0; 5.5
    AVG Free - 5.5; 5.0; 5.0
    Avast 7 Free - 5.0; 4.5; 5.0
    Panda Cloud Free - 5.0; 2.0; 5.0
    MSE - 2.5; 5.5; 5.5

So, Microsoft Security Essentials is obviously offering less protection than the others.

On the paid for security suites: Kaspersky and Bitdefender (my preferred choice) are highly rated in terms of all three abilities.

MSE is rubbish going by those stats - AVG is the only logical choice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Avira Free is very good.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    I have AVG Free and it does the job for me :)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avira Free is very good.

Been using this for years, switched from AVG, its much better :)
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the helpful replys guys plenty of choice for me to think about
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO there isn't a FREE option which is as good as Kaspersky. Since you can get a 3-PC one-year license from Amazon for 20 quid, perhaps you should consider upgrading.