telephone wiring diagram

hi

a friend of mine tripped over his phone line today, ripping the wires out the back of the white box on the wall (and ripping the box off the wall at the same time). so, as he can't access the internet at the moment, i'll ask his 3 questions

1. Can someone point me in the direction of a diagram to show me which wires go where?

2. What tool do I need for this? I know the sort of thing i need, but i describe it as a 'pushing down thingy'.

3. How much would ntl charge to come out and fix it if i can't?

ta muchly

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    White with blue bands goes to 5
    Blue with white bands goes to 2
    white/green and white/orange are not connected.

Pushy in tool should be from anywhere that sells phone cable extensions, along with cable clips to stop the wire being tripped over :p

Price for NTL to do it, not sure

Have fun!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntl will charge £50 call out to fix the box, unless you can somehow prove that the fault was ntls!!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    thanks, boh of you. now, how do we blame ntl for this... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sorry to break into this thread, but I do have a related query and can't open a new thread as I'm on probation as a new member.

Does anybody know the impedance of the co-ax that goes into the back of my STB. I want to move it to another room and need some new cable. I'm guessing its 75 ohms but thought I'd check?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct - 75 Ohms
  • Peter LitlerPeter Litler Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by 175elephants

Does anybody know the impedance of the co-ax that goes into the back of my STB. I want to move it to another room and need some new cable. I'm guessing its 75 ohms but thought I'd check?

Thanks
    It is 75ohms and the coaxial cable type is RG6,but I ought to warn you that under the Terms and Conditions of your contract you are not allowed to move the STB yourself.
    To do so may also change the optimum signal strength slightly,as the level was set up with a meter when the STB was installed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Noted and thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Wiring for NTL sockets is as follows

Blue to 2 (or B if it's a master socket)
    Blue and White to 5 (or A)
    Orange to 3 (if it's an extension)

The pushy in tool is called a KRONE tool and they cost about £20,

The best thing to do is contact ntl, if you tripped over the cable it means it wasn't fitted to the correct standards (FSG) i.e. the cabling should be secured in all places at spacings of no more than 300mm with the termination socket within 2m of the operating equipment. NTL Should correct this FREE OF CHARGE.

As for the 75ohm cabling question, if you do move it be sure to use only copper plated aluminium, foam dialetric cable or you wont get a return path.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    hi
    you can put your wires back into socket with a thin headed screwdriver just make sure the wires go all the way down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get Krone punch down tools in B&Q for about £1.60 but the're not as good as the £20 ones since they are made of plastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by PraisetheBeeb
    ntl will charge £50 call out to fix the box, unless you can somehow prove that the fault was ntls!!;)

Call out charges are down to the descrestion of the technician who attends the call, and seeing that it sounds like a quick two minute job to rectifie this problem i cannot see any of the derby techs charging for this.