o2 & Vodafone (cornerstone) agreement

clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe I misunderstood this one, but are o2 and Vodafone not setting up this new company to manage their sites and enable site sharing to take place?

Locally I've seen no improvement to my o2, despite being down the road from a Vodafone mast. People on Vodafone are also complaining as they have seen little improvement in coverage.

I know its not a network share like EE but I thought this deal was meant to make a massive difference to the coverage all over the UK of both networks?

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornerstone project started in 2009 so its far from new. The new remit is aimed 4G mast infrastructure sharing. So really its an extension of what has already been done. I wouldn't expect to see much if any 2G or 3G improvement. Its old technology now :eek:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5269-vodafone-and-o2-announce-plans-to-share-4g-lte-network.html
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But doesnt that link say it will both extend 2G and 3G coverage whilst also offering 4G to 98% of the population by 2015
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two lousy 3G networks do not make one good 3G network.:D
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Maybe I misunderstood this one, but are o2 and Vodafone not setting up this new company to manage their sites and enable site sharing to take place?

Locally I've seen no improvement to my o2, despite being down the road from a Vodafone mast. People on Vodafone are also complaining as they have seen little improvement in coverage.

I know its not a network share like EE but I thought this deal was meant to make a massive difference to the coverage all over the UK of both networks?
    They'll probably get to you at some point but it's not an overnight thing. The current setup was only cleared late last year and they are only about half a year into a 3 year thing. The current claims (98% indoor) refer to the situation at the end of 2015 so any time between now and then although probably earlier if it doesn't require a new build. If you need something better immediately, you'll have to move networks.