What's a better phone? iPhone 5 v note 2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
Forum Member
I'm seriously thinking of selling my iPhone 5 for a galaxy note 2. Would this be a good idea? How much could I get my iPhone 5? It's 16 gb and on network 3

Comments

• poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Note 2.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Which ever you find best in your hand.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a strange comparison...

The note is about twice the size, first I would decide if you want a phablet, definetly try and feel one in a shop, I was shocked at how massive it actually was, it wouldn't fit in my pocket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Is the note 2 bigger than the note 1. Really am thinking about swapping my iphone 5 for it. Though still undecided
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the note 2 bigger than the note 1. Really am thinking about swapping my iphone 5 for it. Though still undecided

iPhone 5 - 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm (4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in) at 112 g (3.95 oz)

Note - 146.9 x 83 x 9.7 mm (5.78 x 3.27 x 0.38 in) at 178 g (6.28 oz)

Note 2 - 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4 mm (5.95 x 3.17 x 0.37 in) at 183 g (6.46 oz)
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note 2.

Based on what criteria?

The only person who can judge on this question is the OP, although asking such questions is like asking "which is better, Oranges or Bananas?".

Neither is obviously "better" in any area, although there are obvious differences. Is having a larger screen better? To some maybe. Is having access to an insane number of applications an advantage? To some it is ....
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Well assuming the OP is aware of the size of the note 2 given he is asking specifically about it then it really can't be an issue. So if the decision is based on just the phones the i5 cannot compete against the benefit of the larger screen offered.

Really not sure why anyone feels they cannot be compared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Well assuming the OP is aware of the size of the note 2 given he is asking specifically about it then it really can't be an issue. So if the decision is based on just the phones the i5 cannot compete against the benefit of the larger screen offered.

Really not sure why anyone feels they cannot be compared.

They can be compared, no reason why not.

But deciding which one is best is a separate discussion, and the only person who can decide is the OP as to which one fits their criteria the best.

And without stating what the criteria is, we cannot state which one fits the criteria best, and ergo cannot state which one is best.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Which ever you'd find the most useful.
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    They can be compared, no reason why not.

But deciding which one is best is a separate discussion, and the only person who can decide is the OP as to which one fits their criteria the best.

And without stating what the criteria is, we cannot state which one fits the criteria best, and ergo cannot state which one is best.

The simple fact that the op is looking at these two phones means the relevant aspects of the two phones can be compared.

Obviously the stand out element between the two is the screen, given the op is aware of the size of the more but has still chosen it as one of two phones I do not think as stated previously the huge benefits of the note 2 screen can be matched by the i5.

I would however say that if these phones were indeed chosen just because they are top of their respective classes without any research that may be a different point.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    What a strange comparison...

The note is about twice the size, first I would decide if you want a phablet, definetly try and feel one in a shop, I was shocked at how massive it actually was, it wouldn't fit in my pocket.

Rubbish, rubbish and rubbish. "It wouldn't fit in my pocket" - you must have the worlds smallest pockets. My Note fitted into a standard shirt pocket - the Note 2 is narrower and even more pocketable. A Nexus 7 fits in the back pocket of a pair of jeans so there is no problem what so ever in the size of the Note 2.

But there is a problem with the weight – I passed my Note to my wife and got a Galaxy Nexus. Now this was mainly down to wanting a new phone after having it for 4 months and wanting pure android rather than running Cyanogen Mod 10 but part of the issue was the weight – in loose shorts it was not good and I struggled to stow it comfortably when running.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Rubbish, rubbish and rubbish. "It wouldn't fit in my pocket" - you must have the worlds smallest pockets. My Note fitted into a standard shirt pocket - t

The original Note was too big for my pockets as well...maybe you have fat pockets? :D
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried both and to me, the Note 2 feels like you're handling the cutting edge. The iPhone 5 feels very much like the past.

Size aside, it's no contest. And if size is an issue then the S3 is the obvious choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried both and to me, the Note 2 feels like you're handling the cutting edge. The iPhone 5 feels very much like the past.

Size aside, it's no contest. And if size is an issue then the S3 is the obvious choice.

I'm intrigued, what is cutting edge about the Note 2? Its just another Android handset, albeit a bigger one, with a camera thats just as bad as that in the S3.

The problem that I've found with all of these - the Note 2, SGS3 and the IPhone 5 is build quality - you have to be living in chronic denial if you actually think these things are well built, they feel like something that would be given away free with a magazine.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm intrigued, what is cutting edge about the Note 2? Its just another Android handset, albeit a bigger one, with a camera thats just as bad as that in the S3.

The problem that I've found with all of these - the Note 2, SGS3 and the IPhone 5 is build quality - you have to be living in chronic denial if you actually think these things are well built, they feel like something that would be given away free with a magazine.
    What a ridiculous thing to say lol

I suspect you have not actually used one in anger. Maybe you have just picked up the model display they sometimes use in mobile phone shops...? You know, the ones that are not real phones.

My Son has the S3 and believe me, it's built good enough, and yes, it feels "plasticy" on the rear cover, this is no bad thing. It adds to the light weight factor.

As for the Note II, have you even seen one let alone used it on a a daily basis? And I mean, actually used one for more than 30 seconds in a shop?

I have one, and it feels strong, sturdy and very highly built.

As for the iPhone 5, I cannot really comment, because I do not use one daily, however, if it is anything like the iPhone 4/s build, then it will be another phone that is well built, and feels well built.

I used an iPhone 4 for 8+ months before I got my SII, (before my Note II).

Oh, and the camera in the Note II..is actually very good.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

What a load of utter guff!!

For a start, the camera on the S3 is superb. I took some amazing shots and videos on holiday in October. Like the S2 camera its superb. Yes, night time shots are poor but so is any other smartphone camera.

The S3 im holding now is very well built as is the note 2 and iphone 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

For a start, the camera on the S3 is superb. I took some amazing shots and videos on holiday in October. Like the S2 camera its superb. Yes, night time shots are poor but so is any other smartphone camera.

agreed :cool:
    Forum Member

The fact you don't know says it all I think.

Perhaps you should explain exactly why the note 2 is poorly constructed then, I personally have not seen it mentioned in any review so you obviously have inside information yes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »

The S3 camera is not superb. Neither is the camera on the 4S. They're okay, but not superb. Both generate way too much noise, but thats a result of having a tiny sensor.

My works phone is a 4S; personal phone is a Nokia 808 - which absolutely blows the 4S and S3 out of the park on imaging ability. Audio recording is the other area where the S3 and 4S truly suck (try getting a decent recording at a live gig on them, doesn't happen).

As for build, I'm basing my comments on having used plenty of them at work (telco, we have the S3 or 4S as company phones).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    The biggest difference is the S-Pen. For many people, the power of direct input through hand-writing recognition is a potential game-changer. It's clearly technology in its infancy, but already shows great promise. Just the simple act of flipping a photo and writing the caption on the back has great wow-appeal, there'll be much more to come.

Add in the true multitasking-having a Facebook chat whilst viewing video in seperate window, for instance-and you've got two major different and innovative applications that Apple have as yet no response or equivalent.

Put it this way, I work for EE and am due an upgrade for my personal phone. I could have an iPhone 5, I've chosen the Note 2.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolute nonsense.
    Forum Member
    As for build, I'm basing my comments on having used plenty of them at work (telco, we have the S3 or 4S as company phones).

Enlighten us then tell what is poor about the build quality we can all generalise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enlighten us then tell what is poor about the build quality we can all generalise

I wonder what makes the Nokia 808 so much better ...
    Forum Member
    I assume any phone double the width and heavy is well made :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume any phone double the width and heavy is well made :confused:

Not necessarily.

Just too many breakages on the S3 (considering the screen is gorilla glass, I would have thought it be stronger than it appears to be), and can imagine the same with the 4S (form over function).

They very definitely aren't built to last the way phones used to be - after all, if they were built to last, there would be less reason for people to upgrade.

But as for the original question - which is best, its purely down to personal preference. Both are aimed at slightly differing users, but there are obvious overlaps.

Camera is pretty much even between the two, maybe with a slight edge for the 5 - which could no doubt be corrected in a firmware update on the Samsung, as they're both virtually using the same sensor.

App availability; there's possibly a slight edge for the Note, as I don't know how rapidly developers will be updating for the revised screen on the 5. Android apps just tend to scale automatically to whatever screen you're using.