Telephone Loudspeaker

Hi, I am new to this forum and wonder if anyone can advise me regarding the following query.

I am wondering if it is possible to get a speaker attachment for a standard landline telephone (eg I have a PhoneMark PM6001 with Virgin Media (formerly Telewest)), which can be plugged into the phone to allow it to still be heard whilst walking around the room or even leaving the room altogether.

This may sound like a strange request, however it would be VERY useful for
waiting on hold on a telephone customer service line, eg. today I was put on hold no less than three times by Virgin Media, each time taking more than 10 minutes. My patience was very frayed at the edges after this !

With a loud-speaker attachment you would be able to still hear the music that is playing whilst you are put on hold, and then as soon as the operator comes on the line, immediately dash to the phone and pick it up. Thus if you have a long wait you can at least do something else whilst waiting, rather than sitting there with the phone to your ear for a long period of time.

Does anyone know if such a device as this exists ?

Please note I am not looking for a headset as this would allow less freedom to move around because of the cord.

It could just be some sort of adapter that allows a standard speaker (eg. a PC speaker) to be attached to the phone.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked on Maplins? I dunno if they do a device that you want but I think you could make something from individual items.
  • capt hangovercapt hangover Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could just by a phone with a hands free/speaker option.

Either corded or cordless they're reasonably cheap these days.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the DS forums Rossua.

I use a BT Decor 500 LST/answering machine which I picked up on ebay for less than £10 - its loudspeaker enables me to do what you want to do and the answering machine part enabled me also to DUMP 1571 so I could save my friends and family money too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all replies. I think a hands free speakerphone will be the best option.

Heinz - thanks for specific info. I also am unimpressed with 1571. I used to have it set to 10 rings with Telewest, but when VM took over they set it back to 5 rings (not long enough for me), and they require me to subscribe to their 'enhanced voicemail service' to change it back to 10 again. I've no idea what this 'enhanced' service is, or how much it costs, and I'm waiting until I get my speaker phone before I call again, as it looks like another very long wait to get through.