Putting (white) canvas shoes in the washing machine?

Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi :)

I have a white pair of canvas shoes that, every time I wear them (usually for nights out), are absolutely black dirty come the next morning (from people accidently treading on them etc.)

I just wondered if shoes are safe to put in the washing machine? If so, can you put them in on their own?- or do they need to be with other washing?

I'm also worried that they might damage the washing machine! Have you ever tried it before? Was it OK?

Thanks!

Kx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I always used to wash training shoes in the machine years ago! Put them in a pillowcase and tie it up using the laces if your worried about the machine. Its noisy with them banging about but it'll be ok.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks LouLou! I'll give it a go tomorrow :)

Is there a specific temperature to put them on? Or do I just use the usual clothes-washing settings?
    Forum Member
    You dont want to put it on too low or the dirt wont come out, but not too high that if theres any painted or thin rubber bits it'll affect them, maybe say 30 or 40.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help! Much appreciated. x
    Forum Member
    Its ok! Good luck!
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would put a couple of towels in as well - cushions the drum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    i have lots of those canvas pumps, and I always put them in the WM to clean, they are fine on their own and come out fine for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
    VanillaK wrote: »
    i have lots of those canvas pumps, and I always put them in the WM to clean, they are fine on their own and come out fine for me.

Do you find yourself continuously washing them?!

I have a white pair and a grey pair... the grey pair isn't as bad, but the white pair... gosh - if I wear them, I definitely need to wash them the next day! Until now, I used to scrub them with a washing pad, sometimes leave them for hours in soak - and yet the blackness is still not completely off.

That'll teach me for using them as 'going-out/night-out' shoes... but it's not my fault they look nice with jeans!

Hopefully the washing machine will do the trick!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Trainers always look LOVELY when theyve been in the machine :) but do take a while to dry out.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they plain white pumps?

There used to be a pump whitener that you used on your white school gym shoes years a go. (showing my age :eek:)
    The canvas material would absorb the liquid and bingo, sparkly white pumps. I don't know if you can still get it, def worth a go if you can.