Information channel and changes on NOW Digital multiplexes.

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now we no longer have a Wohnort telling us what is happening with the DAB multiplexes, I discovered two changes when I did a retune of my Pure Move on the NOW Nottingham multiplex:
  • Radio Lapland has changed its name to Information (Info), but is still playing a loop telling listeners that Santa has delivered his presents and seasons greetings from Radio Lapland. I'm assuming this is going to be a rolling information channel for DAB services. Still at 80Kbps Mono.
  • NOW Nottingham's multiplex name has been renamed to "Nottinghamshire". Is this the case across the NOW Digital network?

Comments

• Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOW Nottingham's multiplex name has been renamed to "Nottinghamshire". Is this the case across the NOW Digital network?

More or less - Now Digital Bristol/Bath now just 'Bristol', with the Cardiff/Newport one now 'South East Wales'.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    Expect the same to happen to all local MUXes in the UK by the end of next week.
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOW Norwich is just Norwich now. See what I did there. ;)
  • deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [*]Radio Lapland has changed its name to Information (Info), but is still playing a loop telling listeners that Santa has delivered his presents and seasons greetings from Radio Lapland. I'm assuming this is going to be a rolling information channel for DAB services. Still at 80Kbps Mono.

Still feels like Lapland in this part of the world!
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,810
    Forum Member
    "South Hampshire" <S Hamps>
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wohnort is finally back, and it suggests that the removing of branding and renaming of multiplexes is going to occur on all UK local and regional multiplexes. Not just for a number of NOW Digital multiplexes and also for a few Arqiva/Bauer multiplexes, but all of them.

Reminds me of the way that Freeview network names where changed from the transmitter name (ie. Emley Moor) to its coverage area (ie. Yorkshire. - that dot is intentional).
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wohnort is finally back, and it suggests that the removing of branding and renaming of multiplexes is going to occur on all UK local and regional multiplexes. Not just for a number of NOW Digital multiplexes and also for a few Arqiva/Bauer multiplexes, but all of them.

Reminds me of the way that Freeview network names where changed from the transmitter name (ie. Emley Moor) to its coverage area (ie. Yorkshire. - that dot is intentional).

Any idea why this is happening?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    I only know as much as Wohnort is reporting and what I am seeing on my Pure Move. Forum member Vinnielo may know more than I do about these changes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member

It's to make it easier for people to understand the area in which some stations are available as many radios, particularly in car, display stations in groups under the multiplex label.

Not so much of an issue in home, but as more people are listening in cars it helps them to understand when perhaps they drive out of a local mux area and lose a service.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    morettat wrote: »
    It's to make it easier for people to understand the area in which some stations are available as many radios, particularly in car, display stations in groups under the multiplex label.

Not so much of an issue in home, but as more people are listening in cars it helps them to understand when perhaps they drive out of a local mux area and lose a service.

Actually when the Reading/Basingstoke mux first launched, it was labelled, 'NOW Reading' . I was asked by someone, what was his DAB radio reading, and how long would it take ? !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Actually when the Reading/Basingstoke mux first launched, it was labelled, 'NOW Reading' . I was asked by someone, what was his DAB radio reading, and how long would it take ? !

Wonderful! I think I might use that at my next meeting!
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »
    NOW Norwich is just Norwich now. See what I did there. ;)
    Why when I read your post Charlie do I keep seeing a picture in my mind of that baby from 'Family Guy', you know the one with a head the shape of a rugby ball and with the name Stewie Griffin. ;)

Quote from Family Guy:
    "Brian says ” So I have a date tonight”
    Stewie: ” oh whats his name.. HA!.. Did you see.. did you see what I did there…" :D:D
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    They're part of Digital Radio UK's plans.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UTV Bauer Stoke is now "Stoke & Stafford".

"Staffs & Cheshire" might have been more appropriate. MXR North West hasn't dropped the MXR yet.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Staffs & Cheshire" might have been more appropriate. MXR North West hasn't dropped the MXR yet.

With "UTVBauerSwansea" now "Swansea SW Wales" for some reason. Is the dropping of MXR really necessary?
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It covers a lot more area then its supposed to, I can get it in Bolton , Wallsall near to Chester.

And on now digital what is the Info channel going to be at 80kbs ?
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the London mux's have changed now with Drg changing to "London 3".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bauer South Yorkshire is now... "Sheffield". Doesn't make sense to me, surely "South Yorkshire" or even "S Yorks & N Mids" would be more apt?

MXR Yorkshire is now "Yorkshire".
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    CE Birmingham is "Birmingham"
    MXR West Midlands is "West Midlands"
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With "UTVBauerSwansea" now "Swansea SW Wales" for some reason. Is the dropping of MXR really necessary?

They've taken MXR off it now.

"JazzFM - North West". Now there's a blast from the past.