Johnny cash- hurt

mills705mills705 Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
Best cover ever?!
I'm a huge cash fan anyway but lately this song is my favourite.
The way he sings it you can tell he has such a connection with the lyrics and the simplicity of the music.
I really wish I could have seen him live!

Comments

• gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, since everyone and his dog adores this cover (:p), but I prefer NIN's and really don't enjoy Cash's... I mean I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it just doesn't appeal to me.

(That's not to say I don't enjoy a lot of Cash's other material mind!)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    ..but I prefer NIN's and really don't enjoy Cash's....

You're sacked .. please leave :D

It's a brilliant, brilliant song. Best cover ever for sure.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, since everyone and his dog adores this cover (:p), but I prefer NIN's and really don't enjoy Cash's... I mean I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it just doesn't appeal to me.

(That's not to say I don't enjoy a lot of Cash's other material mind!)

I agree, NIN's version is better, but the cover by Cash is still good. It's far superior than that tripe served up by Leona Lewis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer the Johnny Cash version as well. I love the emotion he puts into it. The original is good too, but I don't connect to it in the same way.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Leona's cover to Cash and NIN's covers....just my opinion....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Leona's cover is quite good too. I think we're in the minority though, as most people seem to hate it.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    I think Leona's cover is quite good too. I think we're in the minority though, as most people seem to hate it.

I never got why people hated it, i thought she took the song, vocally, to a new level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got why people hated it, i thought she took the song, vocally, to a new level.

I think it's the same whenever a pop artist covers a classic rock song. Lana Del Rey's cover of Nirvana's 'Heart Shaped Box' got a similar reaction.

I agree about Leona's vocals though. She's an amazing singer and the power in her voice towards the end of the cover is fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I just don't 'get' Johnny Cash's music and never have, much to the bemusement of my wife who is a big fan :p So that particular cover doesn't do much for me. I do love the original, though and really like Leona Lewis' cover.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a brilliant song, and I really love all three versions of the song.

I probably listened to Johnny Cash's and Leona's version of it more than the original though, Cash's version is really emotional.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you will find the NIN version is the original, not a cover version.......
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Best. Video. Ever.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love Leona but I would say Johnny Cash's version is better. Of course her voice is great and her royal variety performance was spectacular. But I think her cover of "Color blind" puts it to shame, she puts so much emotion into that song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Johnny Cash and this is one of my all time favourite songs. Its special because you can hear the hurt and pain in the song, I don't mind the NIN original, though they are in fact two very different songs. One is a bout addiction and the other is about a man coming to the end of his life and realising he is not enough. What makes is special is the fact Johnny was on his way out when recording, I don't think it would have had the same effect if he was a young man. I think the reason why its makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up is because his vocals sound so beat.

He takes songs to another level, just look at One for instance. A friend once told me that when Johnny Cash covers your song it isn't your song any more. That may sound hopelessly pretentious but he has a point.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't 'get' Johnny Cash's music and never have, much to the bemusement of my wife who is a big fan :p So that particular cover doesn't do much for me..

yeah im not keen on johnny cash's material... its all pretty lame, except 'hurt', because it shows cash for being more then a cheesy country singer, its well out of his comfort zone, and he executes it brilliantly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    A friend once told me that when Johnny Cash covers your song it isn't your song any more. That may sound hopelessly pretentious but he has a point.

I believe Trent Reznor said something similar about this cover, too. :)
    Just to reiterate what I was saying earlier, while I DO prefer NIN's version - I can certainly appreciate WHY people would prefer Cash's version. (I re-read what I put and didn't want to sound like I was saying everyone who preferred it was wrong haha)

I do also really like Leona's version, I mean her interpretation of the song is of course suited for her voice (I always see it as more of a 'bad/abusive relationship addiction' with her version). .. but I think a lot of people just see her as trying to "steal" the glory of JC's version or something (because she's 'mainstream'), but simply it was an EP she put out with her covering 3 of her favourite songs with a 'Leona' spin on it. Doesn't affect how I feel about the original whatseoever (or Cash's) and it shouldn't affect anyone else either. It's not like she 'ruined' it... I noticed the arrangement was based a bit more on the 'quiet' version of NIN's, which was cool.
    (Sorry, I know that was a bit of a rant - but I hate it when people make ridiculous claims about mainstream artists covering songs - especially when they are genuinely talented)
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best. Video. Ever.

I am tempted to agree not many artists get to sign off their career and their life in a video. More than touching and proof of the value of the artists life.
    yeah im not keen on johnny cash's material... its all pretty lame, except 'hurt', because it shows cash for being more then a cheesy country singer, its well out of his comfort zone, and he executes it brilliantly.

It's not all 'lame', a lot of the hit singles perhaps.

Cash has a wicked sense of humour and mixed his spiritual and artistic visions at times. He was a deep thinking religious man, a bit like Van Morrison in that respect and full of contradictions, a bit like the conscience of America. The live prison records are brilliant..a true Country and Southern artist.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

Cash has a wicked sense of humour and mixed his spiritual and artistic visions at times. He was a deep thinking religious man, a bit like Van Morrison in that respect and full of contradictions, a bit like the conscience of America. The live prison records are brilliant..a true Country and Southern artist.

well ive not heard everything by cash, so fair comment, but i havnt liked what ive heard so am unlikely to seek out other material. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

That reminds me, I absolutely adore his version of God's Gonna Cut You Down, and I really loved that 'tribute' video they did with a lot of artists/musicians. It was really nice, slightly morbid, but still really, really good. :D
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That reminds me, I absolutely adore his version of God's Gonna Cut You Down, and I really loved that 'tribute' video they did with a lot of artists/musicians. It was really nice, slightly morbid, but still really, really good. :D

Yes, I know the video catches the essence of the guy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    My favourite is the Johnny Cash version purely because its so raw.

Leona puts her own spin on it also and it does work well, i love the power in her voice in the song.
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His version is beautiful and sad - but I find it too sad to listen to!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I like both Cash and Lewis' versions. They both work really well.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His version is beautiful and sad - but I find it too sad to listen to!

Me too - its painfully moving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it spoke volumes about Johnny Cash's ability when he covered it. Despite being incredibly old and fragile at the time. He still managed to deliver the emotion for it.

Problem with Leonas version was the production, basically some smart arse producer decided to try and be fancy with it. Piano in it slightly butchered it aswell. With Cash they just left an acoustic guitar in.