"Blockbusters" on Challenge TV

15678911»

Comments

• apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Nobody wanted to Challenge is the gameshow channel and is the only channel willing to try this type of quiz itv want big rating Saturday night shows these days.

Have you seen the weekday afternoon schedules of ITV and Channel 4 or the BBC for that matter? Full of quiz shows. Beats being full of property and cooking programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The set was wrong it looked totally out of place plus the lighting of the board was wrong.

I didn't mind the expansion of contestant age.

Simon Mayo was definietly wrong he has never been interesting.

Plus despite 20 - 30 years passing the contestants got the same money for playing.

That reminds me:

8) Terribly cheap gold run prizes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer Challenge to show more of the original series, they only show 1992 episodes
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    I'd prefer Challenge to show more of the original series, they only show 1992 episodes

Completely agreed. The same 1992 episodes are getting lame! almost know them word for word they been on that many times
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Completely agreed. The same 1992 episodes are getting lame! almost know them word for word they been on that many times

I could say the same thing about Catchphrase.
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    8) Terribly cheap gold run prizes.
    The new Blockbusters was unusual in having prizes. They seem to have disappeared from almost all quizzes around at the moment which are either for kudos and a trophy or money. The latter frequently being a hook for the "What will you spend the money on?" question.

Had Blockbusters been an entirely new show, rather than a recreation of the original series, then probably either each Gold Run would be for increasing larger amounts of money or an unsuccessful Gold Run would mean you lost everything you had already won and quite possibly both.

I suspect the reason the original Blockbusters had prizes in the first place was because it might have seemed inappropriate for juvenile contestants to win large cash prizes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One problem with the new series was making it exclusive to any age. Well two probs really the other being after 3 goldruns the contestant should go.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    £5 per right answer is appropriate

Blockbusters was never about winning ludicrously large cash amounts or overly lavish prizes

Challenge have done a very good job replicating the original as far as humanly possible. Now if only they'd bring back Going for Gold with European contestants and the same format as the original
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Don't think I've seen this series before. Anyone know what year it's from. I don't like this new theme tune arrangement.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I only ever watched this show at my friends house after school, or in the holidays. Her dad always had it on. It's theme tune really takes me back to my childhood, and i cannot believe it's now 23 years since it finished on ITV in 1993! It is scary how fast the time has gone!:(
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Don't think I've seen this series before. Anyone know what year it's from. I don't like this new theme tune arrangement.

I think its a later series. Didnt even know it was starting till I flicked on my accident.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member

1994 and the only series bob did for sky
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,781
    Forum Member
    I'm really disappointed that Challenge didn't take the current version to a second series. It was very true to the original, however, I still believe that students are the key element to this classic show and that it could easily continue and thrive in the right hands. itv should have picked up the baton and continued where they left off, that is the home of Blockbusters and also where it belongs. Simon Mayo made a good host and did an excellent job with the updated format. One of my favourite shows of all time that I also grew up with. If only someone would give it a proper chance before giving up at the first hurdle. A short series is absolutely pointless!
    Forum Member
    soapnut wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed that Challenge didn't take the current version to a second series. It was very true to the original, however, I still believe that students are the key element to this classic show and that it could easily continue and thrive in the right hands. itv should have picked up the baton and continued where they left off, that is the home of Blockbusters and also where it belongs. Simon Mayo made a good host and did an excellent job with the updated format. One of my favourite shows of all time that I also grew up with. If only someone would give it a proper chance before giving up at the first hurdle. A short series is absolutely pointless!

Well I did ask Challenge and they said due to low ratings it wouldnt return.
  • ringleaderlonringleaderlon Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did ask Challenge and they said due to low ratings it wouldnt return.

There's the point Challenge actually made a new series and nobody tuned in so why should they bother or GOLD might as well just stick with same old as when they try no one is interested.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

It's god awful isn't it. Hate that synth with the bending.

Was this Bob's twilight series. It must have been going a while at that point but it felt as though it was a first run series with a lot of fluffing.
    Forum Member
    There's the point Challenge actually made a new series and nobody tuned in so why should they bother or GOLD might as well just stick with same old as when they try no one is interested.

I did hear Bob passed away shortly after the filmed the new series. Seems a shame Challenge didnt try to get him to do a few shows.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's god awful isn't it. Hate that synth with the bending.

Was this Bob's twilight series. It must have been going a while at that point but it felt as though it was a first run series with a lot of fluffing.

Yes it was. After the ITV era he did one series with sky then that was it.
    Forum Member
    Watched an episode the other night and Bob seemed to confirm that it was Tommy Boyd who started the Baker Street rumour

For background info - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12120809
    Forum Member
    Recently watched the first ever episode.

It's amazing how similar it looked then to when it finished on Sky. Must be one of the longest running quiz shows to have several incarnations yet keep mostly the same set, format, graphics, theme tune etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrNjY0JaOe4