Sky Sports to screen 2013 Duel in the Pool

Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Great news. Sounds like a great 2 days.

Sky Sports will screen live coverage of the biennial ‘Duel in the Pool’ event in December, which will see some of the most exciting swimmers from the United States go head-to-head with a team of European All-Stars.
The two-day competition, taking place on December 20-21 at Glasgow’s Tollcross International Swimming Centre – next year’s Commonwealth Games venue, will feature 2012 Olympic silver medallist Michael Jamieson and World Championship medallist Fran Halsall.
Also in the 37-strong European team will be French Olympic Champions Florent Manaudou, Yannick Agnel and Fabien Gilot for the men, and double Olympic Champion Ranomi Kromowidjojo of the Netherlands for the women.
The European Allstars will feature 10 British athletes, including Craig McNally, Robbie Renwick and Hannah Miley from Scotland.
The USA, who are looking to reclaim the title they won two years ago in Atlanta, is also packed with medal-winning talent, including double Olympic Champion Ryan Lochte and London 2012 gold medallists Kate Ledecky, Conor Dwyer, Shannon Vreeland and Tyler Clary.
Swimming fans will be able to watch the action featuring these great names from the world of swimming unfold live on Sky Sports 2, with the showdown event televised on Friday, December 20, concluding on Saturday, December 21.
It will be the first time that Sky Sports has shown live swimming for several years. The previous two editions of ‘Duel in the Pool’ were televised by the BBC.
The last time this event was in the UK was in 2009 where over 80 swimmers showcased their skills in front of packed out crowds.
Commonwealth gold medallist Renwick told Sky Sports: “It is a great event, like the Ryder Cup of swimming.
“It is real head-to-head racing, a fantastic competition and very exciting.
“It is very tough. In the last few Duels, Europe have just missed out so hopefully this time it will change.
“It is going to be a home crowd there so hopefully that will spur us on.”
British Swimming Head Coach Bill Furniss said: “The European Allstars features by far the strongest line up we’ve ever seen in what will be the third of these exciting biennial events.
“Both teams include a multitude of Olympic and World champions and medallists, and therefore the head-to-head promises to be a dramatic encounter.
“The USA are sending a very strong team so the challenge facing the Europeans will be immense but it will provide a great spectator event at the home of next year’s Commonwealth Games.”
Held every two years since its current format featuring United States and European swimmers from 2009, ‘Duel in the Pool’ – swimming’s version of the Ryder Cup – provides a unique opportunity for fans to see the world’s greatest swimmers battle for supremacy.
Tickets for the event will be released on sale from week commencing October 21 and spectators wishing to see the European Allstars take on the USA can register their interest via the British Swimming website.

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humm, this sounds good, I think that I will be watching it, thanks for flagging this up.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds boring in my opinion but that is just my opinion I am sure it will be good to some people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good times. will be watching.
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be interested to see who they use to present and commentate. I guess Rebecca Adlington may feature alongside on of the Sky Sports News girls.
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    Didn't the BBC show this a few years ago from Manchester (2009?)
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    European allstars with 10 British swimmers?

Thought we were pants at swimming just lately?
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    European allstars with 10 British swimmers?

Thought we were pants at swimming just lately?

We are.

Either the Europeans don't want to take part or they have deliberately boosted the British team members to help ticket sales.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the BBC show this a few years ago from Manchester (2009?)

It will be the first time that Sky Sports has shown live swimming for several years. The previous two editions of ‘Duel in the Pool’ were televised by the BBC.
    The last time this event was in the UK was in 2009 where over 80 swimmers showcased their skills in front of packed out crowds.