Are we too harsh on the contestants and how they will fare?

rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
Forum Member
✭✭
I am not talking about comments about their abilities but the fact that though we have our favourites we also seem to dismiss a lot of the others acts. Okay so they may not be the ones we want to win but are we silly to condemn them to no future in the industry. I am also not saying lets stop being critical.

I admit I can brutally harsh about acts I don't like, but to take an example, I always thought Olly Murs would fizzle out and never be a success but hey look how wrong I could be. Are we generally being too harsh to contestants and their prospects away from the show or are we just becoming so involved in the show itself we can't see a bigger picture?

This is for all contestants over the years not just this year's crop.

Comments

• jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well from my point of view i only like two of the acts, and if they went out i would'nt bother watching the rest of the series as i have no interest either way in the rest of the contestants. This time last year i had already stopped watching.
  • commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm one of those people who isn't necessary harsh to other acts but I get highly defensive if people offend my favourite. That's why when people were horrible about Luke's hair I really didn't like reading all the mean comments :(!

Last year was the same, my favourite was District3 but everyone dismissed them because they were given the worst songs possible and the fact they weren't allowed to be a vocal harmony group ruined them. They were much more musically talented, could actually write their own songs and were actually friends for more than 2 minutes than another boyband that year ;)
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Thing is for most on here it is the chance to bitch and slam anyone they don't like and defend to the death their favourites. You get the feeling with some that there is a competition to be nastiest about some of the contestants.

I do always giggle at the uber-fans who get really upset if anyone attacks their favourites but are happy to take digs at "the opposition". Clearly don't grasp the concept of hypocrisy ;)
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have fits of going OTT when describing some acts but generally I think I'm civil. This is the Internet and generally, the impact of what people here say isn't very harsh at all, even if they stay stuff like "XXXXXXXXXXXX is shite and will never blahblahblah." It's not directed towards the acts (we're practically backstabbing lol) so it won't be too much (unless you wish SeSe gets a miscarriage; now that's harsh).
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Thing is for most on here it is the chance to bitch and slam anyone they don't like and defend to the death their favourites. You get the feeling with some that there is a competition to be nastiest about some of the contestants.

I do always giggle at the uber-fans who get really upset if anyone attacks their favourites but are happy to take digs at "the opposition". Clearly don't grasp the concept of hypocrisy ;)

BIB I agree, many a time have I had robust debates with uber fans. It made for good fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comment wrote: »
    I'm one of those people who isn't necessary harsh to other acts but I get highly defensive if people offend my favourite. That's why when people were horrible about Luke's hair I really didn't like reading all the mean comments :(!

Last year was the same, my favourite was District3 but everyone dismissed them because they were given the worst songs possible and the fact they weren't allowed to be a vocal harmony group ruined them. They were much more musically talented, could actually write their own songs and were actually friends for more than 2 minutes than another boyband that year ;)

But in the end couldn't manage to stay together after their first single.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »

But that's not hypocrisy when it's Good against Evil. You clearly don't understand fandom at all ;)
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    EdgarK wrote: »
    But that's not hypocrisy when it's Good against Evil. You clearly don't understand fandom at all ;)

I'm not a Tamera fan by any means but calling her evil is a bit much!! :D
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been harshly honest about my opinions about a few acts who were so below standard in terms of talent and behaviour *while on the show and after, not just before* that it was offensive to acts who missed the exposure and deserved it to have to see and hear them (not naming them, and have forgotten most of their names now anyway)a few times over the years, but I have never yet been wrong about predicting an acts success or failure within 90% .

I don't predict failure for an act just because they don't personally appeal to me, though. I can look at it objectively. I was not a Cher fan at all, but knew she was going to be successful.

I can honestly say that I don't think any act this season is a certainty for failure. Even the weakest acts have some talent and/or marketability.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always said things about the artists I've never rated EVER like Cheryl Cole, Rihanna, Lady Gaga,and a few others and I don't regret it either.
    I was very harsh on Cher Lloyd but I've realised she was 16 at the time on XF - however I still don't rate her singing/rapping - it's awful!!
    Others I was harsh on were Lloyd Daniels, Katie Waissel, Leon Jackson, Lydia Lucy, many of the girlbands and boybands
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    I've always said things about the artists I've never rated EVER like Cheryl Cole, Rihanna, Lady Gaga,and a few others and I don't regret it either.
    I was very harsh on Cher Lloyd but I've realised she was 16 at the time on XF - however I still don't rate her singing/rapping - it's awful!!
    Others I was harsh on were Lloyd Daniels, Katie Waissel, Leon Jackson, Lydia Lucy, many of the girlbands and boybands

BIB and you were right to be because lord knows where they are now.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    BIB and you were right to be because lord knows where they are now.

I've been well known for giving harsh comments if I think they are totally out of their depth or extremely overrated - sometimes I think why are they here?....The reality is that many pop singers cannot sing at all. I've been lucky that I grew up on Funk, Soul, R+B, Motown and Rap and never delved into the pop world. Oh yes I still give extremely harsh comments with the Cash Money lot (Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Drake etc) on HipHop forums
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Quite often people just get frustrated by the judges overblown sycophantic praise, and later post on here to set the record straight. :p

Then the "crazies" (uberfans or whatever they are) take offense and use every trick they've ever read on here to convince the realists that they are in fact "wrong". :rolleyes:

And so the situation exacerbates to the point where no holds are barred and the rules are pushed to the limits.

I guess it is kind of unfair to the contestants who become pawns to peoples egos battling it out in an effort to win an argument on the internet.
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been described as a harsh critic but I think I'm a fair one
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about wanting to set the record straight. Specially when an act gets to judges houses and they f777-up royally with their song yet are still put through above someone who did a really good face to face rendition. I'm thinking of Katie Waisel or Cher Lloyd who both went into meltdown before our eyes. Everyone at home is thinking: favouritism or preselection. That's why there is always a back-lash when they appear on the show. The thing that's nice on the show though is that there is usually an act or two who can appeal to someone, somewhere even if we disagree about who those acts are.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its very much to ask that they at least get most of the right notes in the right order.

Yes, there is more to being a popstar than just singing in tune, but surely the elusive 'x factor' should be in addition to the basic musical ability of holding a tune, not replacing it.
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think its very much to ask that they at least get most of the right notes in the right order.

Yes, there is more to being a popstar than just singing in tune, but surely the elusive 'x factor' should be in addition to the basic musical ability of holding a tune, not replacing it.

I think the problem is that not many people actually do have the X-Factor. I'd say Hollywood can glamourize certain people like James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, but that's because of the way idols were created by the studio system back then. Artists need to retain an air of mystique about them but they also need to be ready to reinvent in order to keep going through the ageing process. Okay if you die young like Michael Jackson. I think John Lennon and Madonna have managed it maybe Gaga but the court's still out about her. I guess there are a few more who meet the criteria, but dragging people in from the street isn't always going to find someone with that level of talent. Also the person nearly has to die before you take them seriously as having the XF!