The Simpsons on Channel 4

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
A thread to discuss episodes of The Simpsons as they come on to Channel 4. Monday - Friday at 6pm and on Sunday at a random time.

Tonight episode is "Funeral For a Friend" from Season 19.

Channel 4 own the rights to Seasons 1 - 20 and get a new season each year.

Comments

• comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefer the Sunday episodes, they are always classics.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Tonight's Episode: 2nd October 2013

Season 19 Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind (Spoof on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)

Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind: Homer wakes up with no memory of the night before. When he discovers that his family is missing, he panics that he did something awful to them.

This episode won an Emmy in 2008 for Outstanding Animated Program (for Programming Less Than One Hour).
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad they are finally showing new episodes, I was getting sick of them showing the same ones over and over. Although it's annoying how much the quality has dipped.

Bring on Season 20 with HD!
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    I am glad they are finally showing new episodes, I was getting sick of them showing the same ones over and over. Although it's annoying how much the quality has dipped.

Bring on Season 20 with HD!

I thought they showed new episodes every year. Today and yesterday's episodes have both been from Season 19 so Season 20 could be coming up.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    These episodes have already been shown on channel 4...
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Sunday eps are normally classics. It almost ridiculous how much better they are than the ones they show during the week.
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »

This thread is to discuss any episode that they show. Not just the new to C4 ones.
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed Funeral for a friend, always good to see Sideshow Bob but it was great to get the Crane family back together, although I didn't recognise John Mahoney until I saw his name in the credits!
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Funeral for a friend, always good to see Sideshow Bob but it was great to get the Crane family back together, although I didn't recognise John Mahoney until I saw his name in the credits!

Yeah, him putting on an English accent kind of spoiled it. The whole point of it is you recognize him from Frasier. They could of had anyone playing him.

I think it is ironic since he is English but you know what I mean.

I had gone off the series for like 5 years probably because I had seen it excessively since 1999 and got bored. Now I am starting to get back into it and I like how no matter how many times you see it you will of never have seen them all and if you have by the time you see it again you will have either forgot the episode or you will want to see it again because it had been so long.
    Forum Member
    I thought tonight's episode was really weird but it showed how the show had evolved over the years and was willing to try new things. It also helped that I have seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind recently.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When are we going to see more of the HD seasons on 4? I am surpised not to see the ones they have already shown aren't repeated.

PJ
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    When are we going to see more of the HD seasons on 4? I am surpised not to see the ones they have already shown aren't repeated.

PJ

They are currently airing Season 19 (9th episode in) in order (Except Sunday) so presumably they will move on to Season 20 after that which from Episode 10 is HD or they could just do the usual and randomly go to Season 5. They have alot of episodes to repeat.

They will most likely gain rights to Season 21 in 2014 or maybe once Sky1 starts airing Season 25 so they might be gearing up to that or maybe not.
    Forum Member
    Tonight's Episode: Thursday 3rd October 2013

Season 19 Episode 10: E Pluribus Wiggum

Original FOX Airing: January 6, 2008

E Pluribus Wiggum: Ralph Wiggum finds himself elected in Springfield and sets about bringing peace to the town.

Guest Starring: Jon Stewart and Dan Rather

Writer Michael Polcino was nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award in the Animation category for writing this episode.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Tonight's Episode: Thursday 3rd October 2013

Season 19 Episode 10: E Pluribus Wiggum

Original FOX Airing: January 6, 2008

E Pluribus Wiggum: Ralph Wiggum finds himself elected in Springfield and sets about bringing peace to the town.

Guest Starring: Jon Stewart and Dan Rather

Writer Michael Polcino was nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award in the Animation category for writing this episode.

IIRC correctly, this is one of the poorest excuses for an episode they've ever put out (and that's saying something). I think it just randomly ends after they run out of tired political gags - no resolution or anything. :(
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    IIRC correctly, this is one of the poorest excuses for an episode they've ever put out (and that's saying something). I think it just randomly ends after they run out of tired political gags - no resolution or anything. :(

They started doing that quite a lot. I watched the one where Marge opens up a successful groups of gyms recently (can't remember if it was on 4 or sky). Marge brought Comic Book Guys store to open the first one and it ended after a stupid Homer storyline. How did CBG get his store back? What happened to Marge's business? Unless there was a conclusion and I just zoned out.

Its annoying, especially as they made a few jokes in earlier episodes about how everything always ends up the same as when they started at the end of their adventure.
    Forum Member
    They started doing that quite a lot. I watched the one where Marge opens up a successful groups of gyms recently (can't remember if it was on 4 or sky). Marge brought Comic Book Guys store to open the first one and it ended after a stupid Homer storyline. How did CBG get his store back? What happened to Marge's business? Unless there was a conclusion and I just zoned out.

Its annoying, especially as they made a few jokes in earlier episodes about how everything always ends up the same as when they started at the end of their adventure.

That was on Channel 4 a few days ago. I don't remember what happened in the end.

I watched an episode in which they bought Tivo recently and they were all happy because they could skip the adverts and there idea of skipping adverts is to keep changing the channel again and again and magically ending back on the channel at the moment the adverts end. You can do that on all boxes.

I put on Sky1 a couple of days ago two see newer episodes and they put on an episode from 1990. They seem to be having a Season 2 season on Sky1 recently.
    Forum Member
    Also does no-one remember that Homer owns the Denver Broncos? Although thats from one of my favourite episodes so I'll let that slide ;)
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an episode in which they bought Tivo recently and they were all happy because they could skip the adverts and there idea of skipping adverts is to keep changing the channel again and again and magically ending back on the channel at the moment the adverts end. You can do that on all boxes..

Actually, I think they were fast forwarding but just in jumps rather than smoothly (like using the double arrow with the line after it, rather than just normal fast forward).

Of course, that does raise the question of how they could fast forward through adverts when that would mean going into the future of a live TV show...

Perhaps they recorded all the shows off-screen ;)
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »

I wonder why they only show the classic episodes on Sundays and show the newer episodes during the week
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I wonder why they only show the classic episodes on Sundays and show the newer episodes during the week

Recently they have been showing them in order too. Monday to Friday.

Why no Saturday episode. They should bring back the 2 episodes on a Friday too.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member

I thought there was some great jokes in it personally. Mr Burns on George W Bush; 'Well, at least he won......the second time......as long as those votes in Ohio are never found.'
    Forum Member
    Recently they have been showing them in order too. Monday to Friday.

Why no Saturday episode. They should bring back the 2 episodes on a Friday too.

If anything there should be less Simpsons on TV. It's suffering from a serious case of Friends syndrome at the moment. I currently have Simpsons on 4 and Sky on series link so I've got someone to put on in the background and to try and catch a few episodes I would like to see again but I have to delete most of them because they played them recently.

I stopped watching Simpsons for a long time because I'd seen the old good episodes so many times they weren't worth watching any more and the new episodes were a load of tripe. When I started watching again recently the older ones were funny again. The same thing happened with Friends. 4/E4 played them to death so I couldn't enjoy them, stopped watching for years then broke out the box set and I could finally enjoy them again.

Maybe it's just me but having The Simpsons on so much is really ruining them for me. And I know what you're going to say, just stop watching them. Well I am, even now I delete any episode I'm not fussed about watching. I'm going to watch the new series even though I'm not holding out much hope (I laughed once during series 23 and that was during the credits of the final episode, and series 24 was just as bad but had some sweet moments).

Somehow Tapped Out is actually funnier than the main show. That's one of the other reasons I'm going to watch the new series, to catch the in jokes.

Sorry, bit of a rant there.
    Forum Member
    If anything there should be less Simpsons on TV. It's suffering from a serious case of Friends syndrome at the moment. I currently have Simpsons on 4 and Sky on series link so I've got someone to put on in the background and to try and catch a few episodes I would like to see again but I have to delete most of them because they played them recently.

I stopped watching Simpsons for a long time because I'd seen the old good episodes so many times they weren't worth watching any more and the new episodes were a load of tripe. When I started watching again recently the older ones were funny again. The same thing happened with Friends. 4/E4 played them to death so I couldn't enjoy them, stopped watching for years then broke out the box set and I could finally enjoy them again.

Maybe it's just me but having The Simpsons on so much is really ruining them for me. And I know what you're going to say, just stop watching them. Well I am, even now I delete any episode I'm not fussed about watching. I'm going to watch the new series even though I'm not holding out much hope (I laughed once during series 23 and that was during the credits of the final episode, and series 24 was just as bad but had some sweet moments).

Somehow Tapped Out is actually funnier than the main show. That's one of the other reasons I'm going to watch the new series, to catch the in jokes.

There is over 500 episodes and more coming out. Are you telling me you have seen every episode. It would take a long time to repeat every episode.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it actually ends with Ralph offering Lisa the position of First Lady (and being the dumb kid he is, he gets the name wrong). And he's about to win the election by default because both Democrats and Republicans have nominated him! That made no sense whatsoever and is surely as canon as Treehouse of Horror (i.e. not).
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here. I went a couple of years without watching the classic Simpsons episodes, before rewatching them and finding them funnier again

I haven't really watched Friends for quite a while