xbox 360 taking ages to turn on

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have an older xbox360 (the FF XIII edition) and I entered it into the new dash Beta. The problem is when I use the controller to turn the console on, it takes ages (the middle button on the pad just flashes for a bout 3 or 4 minutes) then the xbox comes on. It never used to take as long as that. What could be causing this to happen ?.

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    It sounds like it's probably a HDMI handshake issue where the 360 and TV need to confirm a number of specific parameters before a connection is given. My Xbox sometimes does this if I turn it on while I'm watching another channel, it's normal but yours is definitely a problem by the sounds of it..

What people recommend in this situation is to leave the 360 and TV on (or amp if you have it plugged into one) but disconnect the HDMI cable from both ends and leave it for around 5 minutes, then plug them back in and it should hopefully resolve the handshake issue.

Failing that I would suggest trying a different HDMI cable or input, or at the very least just trying out component to confirm that's the issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply m8 but its connected using the component cable so could it still be a connection problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some more info if it helps. If the console is turned on using the button on the front then it powers up straight away but if the controller is used then that's when it takes ages. The controller is brand new (chrome model).
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the cable plugged in properly at both ends?
    Are there any loose wires?
    Is the controller synched up correctly?

You could call time on it and get the new Halo console.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah all leads have been checked and pad synced correctly. As I said it's an old console (gave it to my sister to use when I bought my new slim)
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply m8 but its connected using the component cable so could it still be a connection problem.

It sounds like one but I'm not sure what to suggest other than trying a different cable. If you have an HDMI cable spare just try it out and see if it does the same thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a thought, check that the connection into the power brick is nice and secure, and while you're at it check the brick's air vents for fluff, they do tend to suck it in over time; might need a quick once-over with the vacuum nozzle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be leaning more towards a sync issue with the controller. I took my own controllers along and they are having the same problem. Is there a way to fix this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Just heard from my eldest son and the old xbox he has is having the same sync issue. I wonder if it could have something to do with the Dash update beta :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    i have 2 old falcon machines *phat* 1 the IR censor kinda died for some reason n the other works fine i dont understand it tbh it only became an issue when the beta was installed the motherboard from 2008 has a ball point ir censor n the older models have a capsule the capsule one works fine the ball point has just died of death for no reason
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi, I would say it is the rf board reading what you have said, these are cheap enough to buy and easily replaced, they don't need soldering and have a usb style connection,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey Blakoutz,

I will clear up some suggestions that i've read on here in response to your problem.

It is defininatly not a problem with any lead connected to your TV. Any HDMI handshaking problem would only occur after the Xbox turns on.

Have you tried your controller on an Xbox that hasn't got the new dashboard beta? If it works, its probably the new software. Report it to microsoft. If, not:

Is the pad wireless? Try the charge cable. Try another pad. If any of these work, it could be the pads that has a fault. If not:

Try a second wireless controller. Does the second pad still take 3 to 4 minutes before the Xbox comes on? If it is still not working it is either the new beta or a problem with the console's wireless pad receiver.

One more thing that may sound silly. How far away are you sitting from the console and is there anything that could be interfering with the wireless signal between the two devices. What other wireless devices are there in your building? How many other Xboxes are there in you building?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a PLAY n CHARGE kit to see if the controller would work with being wired. It powers up the console but then goes back to flashing on and off (3 or 4 slow flashes then 3 or 4 quick flashes) before the controller just turns off :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big thanks goes out to Canufixem I changed the rf and now the xbox is working fine. much appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    canufixem wrote: »
    Hi, I would say it is the rf board reading what you have said, these are cheap enough to buy and easily replaced, they don't need soldering and have a usb style connection,

Just wanted to thank you for your suggestion m8 I had a spare from my other xbox n just switched them n now it's running flawlessly thanks m8 +1