What is the USB for at the front of the Sky+ box?

Super_famicomSuper_famicom Posts: 143
Forum Member
Hey just wanted to know what function the USB on the front of the box is for.
Thanks I have searched a bit but could not find anything.

Comments

• russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Future use. Don't do anything now.
  • Super_famicomSuper_famicom Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Thank you. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Future use. Don't do anything now.

Been there for years - my bet is that it will never have an official use - (don't even go there with the 'I can charge my ipod battery')
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhill wrote:
    Been there for years - my bet is that it will never have an official use - (don't even go there with the 'I can charge my ipod battery')

Nope ,

I can charge my sons Ipod battery though :)

Ps

I can't really as I have a 2 x smegging Thomson boxes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    srhill wrote:

I have sky HD and there is also a USB port under a flap at the front, but it won't charge my ipod...yeah i'm going there :D they could at least make it have voltage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    hi people the usb on your sky + and your sky HD box is for when sky get their ass in to gear and make the software so you can copy the contents of your HARD DRIVE from your sky box to a new sky box..........
  • donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would BET that it is for a USB keyboard during testing of various units during manufacturing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Webcam?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll probably sit there out of use forever along with the Cam slot that all digiboxes have covered on the back.

This question must get asked about twice a week here!

(hint, try the 'Search' button)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as the one at the rear :)
    Forum Member
    Same as the one at the rear :)

Indeed - aboslutely f@%k all
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Thompson the USB ports were originally added to the spec to allow downloading of firmware to the box from mobile devices - laptops, PDAs etc - but has not been implemented yet in the software.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    i can charge my mobile using mine front and back
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can charge my mobile using mine front and back

Hi

can I refer you to post #4 :D

Betcha have a Pace box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a flash pen that allows you to download shows onto it then transfer them to another box, PC or device? Obviously their capacity would have to go up a bit from what they are at the moment, but being futuristic that's one use I could see.
    Forum Member
    How about a flash pen that allows you to download shows onto it then transfer them to another box, PC or device? Obviously their capacity would have to go up a bit from what they are at the moment, but being futuristic that's one use I could see.

It would be easier to put a dvd recorder into the box - allowing the customer to save recordings and release space on the hard drive. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    It is there so that once every so onten people can as the question on this forum...... The answer is always the same.
  • MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

can I refer you to post #4 :D

Betcha have a Pace box

Pace are live? Excellent.. I'll be using mine then to power a USB 5v fan to shift a little air around the box as in any kind of cabinet/shelf some airflow always helps!
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in theory? :D
    if someone was naughty enough to bump all the "whats the USB ports for" threads to the top, would it fill the first thread page?

PS
    this is not a challenge & you will probably be banned
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the USB for?

See here:

http://www.nds.com/personal_tv/xtv_ready.html
  • AnneUKAnneUK Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pace are live? Excellent.. I'll be using mine then to power a USB 5v fan to shift a little air around the box as in any kind of cabinet/shelf some airflow always helps!

This sounds like a damn fine idea for the summer - where would one obtain such a device?
  • MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a 120mm fan, grab a USB cable and chop ends of each and join. Takes 5 mins, costs £5 or less and works well. Fan runs at 5v and is therefore QUIET!