The Unknown Factor - Live Show #2

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,313
Forum Member
Good evening ladies and gentlemen of DS forums. Last time our top 16 took to the stage for the first time in order to show us what they had and to try to win the viewers over as fans. We had a very hotly contested night with every act giving 100% into the performance to try to win a place whammy of e in tonights show. But unfortunately for Steve he had a double whammy of finding 2 of acts int eh bottom 2 and had the unfortunate sting of loosing Atle from the competition.

Tonight each of the judges was given the task of finding songs that related to a DECK OF CARDS. Some may have found this theme harder than others but its time f or them to come out and fight for a place on the next show. So lets welcome our judges and their teams

Team Jack

Ida
Mikael Saari
Dilana
Emma's Imagination

Team Steve

Hope Murphy
The Mend
Danielle Penning

Team Barry

Karoline
Sejna
Caitlin
Mark Lowndes

Team Kevin

Misha B
Sandra Van Nieuwland
Matt & Sueleen
Adam Martin

So judges can you confirm your here tonight and we will get started??

Comments

• jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Here and ready for my acts to kick butt :)
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here but I am VERY worried and I am fearing for my team's safety...my choices could very well have cost me the competition, all because I didn't know exactly what the theme meant. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,313
    Forum Member
    Well with two judges here I am gonna have to make a swift start to the show tonight as I need to keep the show moving along quickly tonight. So Barry and Kevin can catch up as soon as they get here.

So first up tonight we have Team Barry and we welcome Mark Lowndes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjj7sV6AJE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark, I was very surprised that you avoided the bottom two last week because it wasn't an impressive choice. However this week, you have raised your game and I found myself really enjoying your performance. This is the direction your mentor needs to take with you. A great opening to the show indeed, well done Mark.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Lowndes:- Mark the judges wanted to see you back to your guitar this week, and I agree that is where your music really comes alive. I decided to give you Queen of California because I believe it brings together the two areas where you excel and that is your musicianship and your smooth tone in your voice. This song has that neo soul feel to it but also has this blues rock quality to it. It means you are staying true to who you are as an artist but are bringing something new to the stage also.
    Forum Member
    Mark Lowndes

Mark I do really like you but I think that this song wasn’t the best for you overall. I mean you have this nice soulful voice, reggae style and guitar with you, which I am happy about being back this week, but the vocals and style of this song as a whole felt more country rather than acoustic soul with some reggae injected in there. I mean Corey Gray and John Mayer are two artists I really like a lot but when it came to combining the both of them and you it just didn’t work well for me which is disappointing from my point of view. Next week try and comeback with a soulful yet slightly reggae style as I think that’s what you’re best at doing plus I think your mentor can pull that off.
    Forum Member
    Some mixed comments for Mark tonight from the panel, has he done enough to make it through to the next show. Only time will tell.

Up next tonight we welcome the wonderful Ida
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sEv-iyG8Gw
    Forum Member
    Ida

Oh Ida, nothing compares 2 u! After last week’s criticism from Barry about wanting to see you perform a song with a beat I decided it would be my mission to find you a song that would have a nice beat to it as it progressed. At the start it’s so soft and allows you to really show off how much emotion you can put into a song and then as the song builds it shows off the power you have with your voice as well which is exactly what I wanted you to demonstrate this week. The quirkiness in your voice was just perfect for this song Ida and I think that after last week’s performance we have definitely taken it up a notch and I hope that we can seriously continue to do this as the competition goes on as you’re simply amazing Ida! Fantabulous! ENCORE!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ida:- Ida I believe that you are a great artist, and I know that this is a song that you could perform incredibly well. This arrangement of the song was made for you. I have heard so many versions of the song though, and that is where my criticism falls. I feel that there is nothing new which that version brings to the song. The arrangement isn’t new I just don’t feel that it allowed “Ida the artist” to shine through. It was a lovely vocal but in my opinion a slightly boring song choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ida girl, outside of my team, you're fast becoming my early favorite and tonight was totally different from last week. This was a very clever arrangement by your mentor...a very impressive version of the song you've found from one of my recent favorite artists as well. So a bonus point there...but seriously, I think you have what it takes to be in this competition for a very long time and it'll be interesting to see what your mentor will try next week.
    Forum Member
    Again some very mixed comments from the panel with Barry even using the boring word that every act dreads hearing. Has Ida done enough to safe herself form the dreaded double elimination tonight.

Up next we have Matt & Sueleen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKNwx82kPjY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh guys, that was an absolutely beautiful arrangement, your voices are so pure and when you blend your voices together, it becomes a stunning piece of work. it's clear that your mentor definitely knows what he's doing with you. It's two shows in but you are already becoming a top contender act for the competition. Yes, some may disagree and say something about peaking too early, but at the same time, if this is the start, think of how awesome you'll be in the weeks to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt and Sueleen:- I find this duo very interesting, and the song choice was especially endearing, as I believe that it played to both your strengths as artists. You are very good at getting your individuality across and that song allowed you to do that. What I found especially great about the song, was its structure, it allowed you to build the song and then your lovely harmonies shone through at the end of the track. Well done.
    Forum Member
    Mattleen

I quite enjoyed this guys! Matt your vocals out of everyone in this competition really are my favourite at the moment and I like how your mentor is taking you down this quirky folk rock route at the moment. Personally I thought last week overall was the better performance in terms of your vocals but this performance was still good for you. I think the only piece of criticism I can give you at this moment in time is that I would love to hear more from Sueleen as so far she seems to be fading more into the background rather than being in the foreground with Matt. Either way you guys are still sailing through to next week as it was still a very good performance.
    Forum Member
    Matt & Sueleen have managed to achieve the seemingly impossible by getting prasie from all 3 panelists tonight. Jack thought over all vocally that their last performance was better but still sees them sailing through will the public agree.

Up next to the stage we have the beautiful Hope Murphy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qM-aVen6Y
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Murphy:- Okay firstly this is in breach of the theme, however what im here to do is judge the song, the host can decide on what is considered a rule break not me. Schuyler Fisk is a contemporary folk artist, I would personally see Hope as a more a contemporary pop-soul artist, however where I do have to give you recognition is the risk you took in the song. You did show a slightly different side to Hope, it actually allowed the audience to see her show a little more variety in herself as an artist, could I see that song on her album, probably not, however you listened to the critique and I say well done for that.
    Forum Member
    Hope Murphy

I honestly don’t know what to say as Hope this really wasn’t suited to you in the slightest, if anything it was more suited to Emma’s Imagination rather than you (I even planned this song for her). I mean your sing off performance showed off your soulful side and the type of singer your really are but then you have this which is a reminder of how you ended up in the sing off in the first place. I mean its more indie pop rather than soul which is what you need to be singing in this show! Plus I am very confident that this is a RULEBREAKER as it doesn’t really have anything to do with a deck of cards at all. Unfortunately I think you’re in trouble tonight Hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope, I was sad to see you in the bottom two last week but I was so glad that you were saved. Now tonight, I have to be honest with myself and sadly I have to agree with the other judges, I got this absolutely wrong and I have no excuse for this choice because I didn't understand the theme. I may have messed this all up for you but if you are here next week Hope, you have my word...I PROMISE to give you a better song next week and that it doesn't break the rules. :(
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I have to agree with the judges that was a rule breaker tongiht sorry Steve. But moving on with the show and next up we have Karoline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF7yuNg_zWE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karoline:- Karoline when thinking of a song choice for you this one automatically came into my head. Sade has this timeless voice, that makes any record cool, edgy and forever current. Like you she has this Smooth RnB voice, and I believe that this song truly shows what a wonderful artist you actually are. The way you pronounce the lyrics is stunning, there is nobody in the charts at the moment with that influential deep melodic voice like yours, that was a fantastic performance Karoline and gave a real indication of what you can offer the charts as an artist. Soothing sounds mixed with massive beats, you are a great artist.
    Forum Member
    Karoline

Again like last week I love you to pieces but I wasn’t really impressed with this performance. I mean there was no real richness in the singers voice and it felt better suited to Danielle rather than you if I am honest. I think the style of this performance was quite suited to you but I think your mentor needs to give you a really good song soon to show off your rich tone and urban edge as right now it’s exactly what you need to make an impact on me and the public as right now you’re one of those contestants who’s just here and isn’t really making a mark on the competition as an artist or as a contestant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karoline, what a risk from your mentor to take. It may have sounded been a bit dull at times but overall, this had a real interest of mixed styles for me, in this case, a mix of Soul and RnB with an alternative Jazzy edge to it. You are looking absolutely fabulous for the performance as well. It's one huge risk for Show Two but I found myself thinking that it just about paid off for you tonight. Well done, Karoline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Richness to Sade's voice!! Jack wash your mouth out with Soap! Listen to more retro urban music, sade is the leading lady in soul, urban music for the last 2 decades
    Forum Member
    Well done Karoline. Again we have some mixed comments form the judges tonight. Jack tells us he loves Karoline but wasnt impressed with the performance. Lets hope for her and Barry's sake she makes it through to the next show. Up next we have Emma
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bArFOaRYtCQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma:- Emma I stated last week that I wanted you to sing a song that would bring you to the forefront of your musical field. That song choice was perfect for you, I actually loved it so much, it is probably your best performance throughout the entire competition. I just loved the how you interpreted it, and it really played to the indie folk genre that you are leaning towards,. It allowed you to stand out as your own individual artist rather than fading into the background or trying to mirror those in your field of music. Very good indeed.