Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Something I did notice, for the second Wipe running he had a go at Obama for the drone strikes in Pakistan, I get the feeling that the influence of his wife and her family is coming through here, because Obama is usually a saint to our left-wing entertainment community.

People just like Obama over here as he has the 'cool' factor and isn't a right wing nut job.

The left are critical of his policies as they don't think left wing enough and supports war yet the right think he is too soft and hates Israel.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    The Africa bits were hilarious.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Nobody in TV or the media in this country criticises Obama though, and the BBC has a particularly sycophantic attitude towards him.

Since when?

You must have been delighted with Brooker's criticism of him, though.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The section on splash was great.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Indeed, the lovely Diane Morgan she is. Kept reminding me of Sara Cox, but I've just found out they are both Boltonites of course.
    She reminds me of Lauren Laverne. Strange as they come from opposite sides of the country but there is something about the voice sound/pattern.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    That is a very good point that passed my mind too at the time, as you rarely hear criticism of Obama over here in the UK and I did think "Oh, unusual" as he said it. His Blue Peter bride didn't enter my head until you mentioned it however, but she has always seemed highly opinionated herself, so it is a valid question.

Just seen this as well:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a452986/charlie-brooker-i-steal-wife-konnie-huqs-ideas-for-wipe-shows.html
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Since when?

You must have been delighted with Brooker's criticism of him, though.

It is nice to have a bit of balance.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    The section on splash was great.

I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves. I felt the same with this - the stuff on TV was fantastic, the rest was so-so. Really liked Richard Osman in the Django discussion as well.
  • StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Splash - featuring some of the best celebrity plummeting since Rod Hull ... genius :D
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    yakutz wrote: »
    I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves. I felt the same with this - the stuff on TV was fantastic, the rest was so-so. Really liked Richard Osman in the Django discussion as well.

I think the best thing he has ever done is the "How TV ruined your LIfe" series, which seems to have gone under the radar for a lot of people.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I think the best thing he has ever done is the "How TV ruined your LIfe" series, which seems to have gone under the radar for a lot of people.

That was good.

I think newswipe was genius though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think a lot of people felt he recycled material from Screenwipe and Newswipe for How Tv Ruined Your Life, particularly the Threads focused episode.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves.
    Agreed. One advantage of Screenwipe is that he had the production time to really go to town. My favourite episode was the one about mission documentaries, where he starts off sitting on a sofa swearing at the telly, and ends up making a mission documentary of his own. I can't see anything like that happening in this topical weekly show as there just wouldn't be the production time.

Still, this was good, though. I enjoyed every segment. I'd rather he did this than 10 O'Clock Live (which always seemed less than the sum of its parts), or his panel game.

Edited to add:
    I saw it. I prefer this.
    Forum Member
    I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves.
    Glad the show was on just for those bits. Those sketches of how news reports are made are excellent.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    Liked the bit with Richard Osman (although that's more to do with Richard being a quality guest as usual), it'll be interesting to see how it goes when some of the lesser celebs are on...

The Doug Stanhope bit was better than expected, and the Africa segment, and overall it was pretty solid throughout (though I can see why many didn't like the film review - it did seem bolted on a little - as Richard said, perhaps this should be on the red button...)
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Liked the bit with Richard Osman (although that's more to do with Richard being a quality guest as usual), it'll be interesting to see how it goes when some of the lesser celebs are on..

Like Sarah Millican next week for instance. Although that's probably something for another popular thread on here...
    Forum Member
    To how many outside of Pointless is Richard Osman a celeb?
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    To how many outside of Pointless is Richard Osman a celeb?

Well, Richard Osman is on tv almost everyday. I think that may qualify, also, he is Heat magazine current ' celebrity weird crush' winner. So I think he's on the right path celeb-wise.:)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people felt he recycled material from Screenwipe and Newswipe for How Tv Ruined Your Life, particularly the Threads focused episode.

I cant deny that he re-used stuff, but i think he took some of the strongest bits of wipe and used them in context in a coherent way. Don't get me wrong i love wipe as well. I wish he was doing a full series of Gameswipe though :)
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit disappointing really - about time we saw something truly original from Brooker, even his recent drama was a spoof. He's fast becoming a pastiche of himself.
    He's obviously in a comfort zone so suggest he milks it for all it's worth.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »
    currently reading Dawn of the Dumb at the moment. Had a LOL moment on the bus when I read the line 'Kinga (from Big Brother) thinks Alcopops is the noise you get when you pull the bottle out'. :p

I read that one, some articles made me LOL also, and it was interesting reading them in hindsight (eg his bits about XF 2006 saying Dionne wouldnt win simply because she was black - and yet Leona won that year) :)
    I have his new book "I Can Make You Hate" but not started it yet :o
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Doug Stanhope's segment, especially the bit about Hitler trying to help us and rebuilding it brick by brick like it was 1100 years ago :D

Agree on the sentiments about the film review. Unecessary and ruins the flow of the show. I'm not a huge film person either so it really didn't hold my interest.

Fill the film review with the normal stuff and it would be outstanding as usual!
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Bit disappointing really - about time we saw something truly original from Brooker, even his recent drama was a spoof. He's fast becoming a pastiche of himself.

Pretty much every artist endlessly repeats himself.

Very few artists continually come up with new stuff.

Unless you can name an infinite list of artists continually coming up with new material all the time that is.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    It is a worthy thing to just be a satirist in various forms.
    Saying he should do something different that is more original is like telling a chef to do something more original, like repair a motorbike.
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »
    It is a worthy thing to just be a satirist in various forms.
    Saying he should do something different that is more original is like telling a chef to do something more original, like repair a motorbike.
    I give you The Hairy Bikers (US) :D